Tom Servo Finished!!

MrSinistar

Finally finished my other MST3K bot project! Ladies and germs, I bring you, TOM SERVO!

252905_2110816777013_1443438409_2521569_3430269_n.jpg

253856_2110817657035_1443438409_2521572_3415081_n.jpg

248178_2110818697061_1443438409_2521575_6442520_n.jpg

Very, very happy with how this came out. Head turns completely and mouth is rigged for puppeteering! The engine is not scratchbuilt like the majority of the ones available but cast from the real toy, which is impossible to find. Same Testor's paint used on the show, same parts. You can't get more accurate than this! Going to enter it in the MetroCon Costume/Prop contest in June. Can't wait!!

Thanks, much appreciated!! My Crow is 90% completed. I need to get him arms...lol.

I agree; we need more MSTies posting stuff!

BTW, check out Bot Builder's Info for stuff specific to bot building. It really helped me out a lot!

Looks great! I need to build one some day, too. I've got some of the parts, but need a bunch more. I built one in the early/mid '90's before the interweb or DVD screen grabs, so he's not very accurate. Still a neat bot, but I'd like for him to have some friends.

Looks great! I need to build one some day, too. I've got some of the parts, but need a bunch more. I built one in the early/mid '90's before the interweb or DVD screen grabs, so he's not very accurate. Still a neat bot, but I'd like for him to have some friends.

My friend Rob aka MST3KGuy supplies almost every part for Crow and Servo. All my Servo parts you see - except for the engine - are from him. He's a really nice guy and his parts are fantastic.

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it. :)

I do have a Crow that I finished a while back.

208145_1799432758675_1625474925_31746527_6772246_n.jpg

206666_10150133320696861_689466860_7128696_6168192_n.jpg

Thomas, the Time Machine guy from MegaCon holds Crow, haha

While he's great for conventions, he's not as perfect as I would like him to be, so I'm working on another Crow right now. The hockey mask on my "Con Crow" is an original, while I have another mask with replacement resin parts, so I'm going to be swapping them. All, I need to get is resin shoulder and arm parts and then I can finally go to work on my accurate Crow. :D

HI-KEEBA!

Very nice Servo build! I've had boxes of parts for both Tom and Crow for years... waiting to locate two last parts.

I still need to find an original or first generation casting of the engine block for Tom, and an original or first generation casting of the lamp for Crow's shoulders. I'm kind of a stickler for original parts. ;)

And I also agree... not enough MST3K stuff here. They had TONS of props!

Once again, great job on Tom Servo! :thumbsup

Awesome!! Looks terrific. One of these days I ought to build a Tom and Crow, myself. Especially considering I have a cat named Servo...

HI-KEEBA!

Very nice Servo build! I've had boxes of parts for both Tom and Crow for years... waiting to locate two last parts.

I still need to find an original or first generation casting of the engine block for Tom, and an original or first generation casting of the lamp for Crow's shoulders. I'm kind of a stickler for original parts. ;)

And I also agree... not enough MST3K stuff here. They had TONS of props!

Once again, great job on Tom Servo! :thumbsup

Thanks, Ripstick! BTW, are you the same ripstick on eBay that sells bot parts? lol

Someone unknowingly found the engine in 2005 but took out the engine and threw out the car that it came with, so we still don't know where that engine came from. We do know it's a pink race car that's around 2 feet long and has a yellow exposed engine on top.

From what I've been told, my engine is either a 2nd or 3rd generation cast from the same engine that kid found in '05. Guy named Gary Glover made some casts from the real engine and sold about a dozen of them to other bot builders. I'm pretty sure my engine is 2nd generation.

MST3KGuy (the same guy I got all my bot parts from) has an original Wallace Lamp that he got through a trade. He sells casts of it for around $50. I need to get a pair really soon actually.

Awesome!! Looks terrific. One of these days I ought to build a Tom and Crow, myself. Especially considering I have a cat named Servo...

If you want, I can give you the contact info to my bot part supplier :D A Servo kit is around $150.

Thanks, Ripstick! BTW, are you the same ripstick on eBay that sells bot parts? lol
Yep... on occasion. Over the years I've been able to offer first generation resin castings of the barrel (from my original), first generation resin castings of the soapdish (from my original), and real Empire bowling pins whether they be an "e" pin", and early crown pin with the injection hole in the neck, or later crown version with the injection hole in the bottom.

Unfortunately when I was first getting castings from people (who shall remain nameless) back in 1999, they were horrible. I mean, sure... they vaguely resembled what they were supposed to -- but the details were so soft and distorted that they were basically useless to me.

It's nice to know that some of those castings have gotten better over the years.

Someone unknowingly found the engine in 2005 but took out the engine and threw out the car that it came with, so we still don't know where that engine came from. We do know it's a pink race car that's around 2 feet long and has a yellow exposed engine on top.

From what I've been told, my engine is either a 2nd or 3rd generation cast from the same engine that kid found in '05. Guy named Gary Glover made some casts from the real engine and sold about a dozen of them to other bot builders. I'm pretty sure my engine is 2nd generation.
Amazing. That's the first I've heard that story. I've done several searches over the years and have found some with close engine designs, but never a match, and usually not the right scale.

MST3KGuy (the same guy I got all my bot parts from) has an original Wallace Lamp that he got through a trade. He sells casts of it for around $50. I need to get a pair really soon actually.
Yep... I am very familiar with the photos of his original Wallace Lamp. ;) If his castings are directly from molds pulled from his lamp then I would definitely hit him up for a pair if he's still offering them.

I've pretty much got everything I need for Servo... except for a NICE clean engine block casting. I even own two different versions of the original Halloween "Boo Bowl" as some call it. I also happen to own this "Happy Easter" version of the bowl. :)

Tom_Servo_Hoverskirt_Part_003.jpg

Yeah, some bot builders told me stories of people charging insane amounts for bowls they found at flea markets that barely resembled a boo bowl and other crazy stories.

Considering the rarity of the engine block, I took LOTS of pics of my engine before I painted it.

Tom Servo Engine Block - Imgur

The engine is not crazy detailed e.g. parts from model kits, so I'm not worried about detail lost or anything like that. I sent you a PM.

Yeah, the engine block story is crazy. No one's found a match yet. Some speculated that it maybe from one of those giant easter basket toy sets, considering the massive size and pink colors of the race car. I talked to the guy who found the car and though he could barely remember the details, he believed it's a formula 1 car. Here's pics of the original engine:

engine_01.jpg

inside_engine.jpg

Whoa! Never saw a "Happy Easter" bowl before! Sweet! Sent you a PM. ;)

Considering the rarity of the engine block, I took LOTS of pics of my engine before I painted it.

The engine is not crazy detailed e.g. parts from model kits, so I'm not worried about detail lost or anything like that.
Nice! That looks like a very clean casting.

Yeah, the engine block story is crazy. No one's found a match yet. Some speculated that it maybe from one of those giant easter basket toy sets, considering the massive size and pink colors of the race car. I talked to the guy who found the car and though he could barely remember the details, he believed it's a formula 1 car.
Either an "Indy" or a "Can-Am" car were my best guesses because of the carb accelerator stacks on top, the rear differential directly behind the engine itself, and rearward facing exhaust pipes. This was definitely one of those large molded plastic toy cars from the mid to late 1970's or early 1980's -- and I know EXACTLY what you mean by "easter basket toy set". :lol

Here's pics of the original engine: (See Above)
OMG! He hacked and painted an ORIGINAL HOLY GRAIL engine block?!? :confused

Words, not...

...humanity, lost...

...faith, failing. :wacko

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back