Prototype Enterprise Re-design Ideas

glorbes

For a future build, I was toying with doing a re-design of the Enterprise, perhaps a de-evolution or alternate version of the NX-01 concept. Some of the thoughts I've had were to incorporate elements of already existing spacecraft (Saturn V-like profile for the nacelles?), as well as the nifty look of the Phoenix from First Contact...basically, a ship that has the essential elements of the Jefferies design, but less streamlined than the original Enterprise. I thought it might be neat to throw this out and see if anyone has had ideas along this line, or may perhaps have some suggestions for details. I plan on doing some sketches and developing this "in the open."

The thing is, I really like the design of the NX-01, but the idea of actually stripping the Star Trek aesthetic back to something a bit rougher just appeals too much to me.

I like the idea! There's just something about a re-envisioning or a concept design of something we already know that appeals to me. I toyed around with doing an Enterprise B or D as if it would exist in the new Trek universe of the movie - I think I'm in the minority of people that liked the "tweaked" Enterprise from that film (for the most part anyway).

The NX-01 is basically just a reworked AKIRA Class from Next Gen so reworking it even more is just a slap in the face to Jefferies work.

If you want to honor his work use his drawings as a starting point.

I like the idea! There's just something about a re-envisioning or a concept design of something we already know that appeals to me. I toyed around with doing an Enterprise B or D as if it would exist in the new Trek universe of the movie - I think I'm in the minority of people that liked the "tweaked" Enterprise from that film (for the most part anyway).

I didn't mind the new Enterprise either. It'll never be the original mind you, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

My basic idea is to keep the silhouette/profile of the original Enterprise intact, but have it be a noticeable step backward in terms of refinement and design. I like the practical explanation that Jefferies had for the contained, smooth surfaces of the Enterprise...that it's easier to repair if all the guts are on the inside. But a process of evolution would have had to take place to get the ship to that point, and since current, real-world spacecraft require spacewalks for certain repairs, I thought it might be neat to explore design possibilities that have certain systems exposed to space and requiring extrenal maintenance.

This is what I am going to use as the basis:

enterprise-matt-jefferies.jpg

I figure this literally is the precusror to the final design. With some more detailing and finagling, I bet it could make a really cool 'prototype' model. Nothing too extreme, but I would like to reflect some 'real' spacecraft elements.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back