The reason for wanting to kill Indiana Jones?

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there an underlying reason why Belloq and Lao Che (and a host of others) want kill a simple professor/archeologist? Belloq and Lao Che really have no valid reason. Belloq is a parasite to Indy and Lao Che evidently hires him. No real reason for them to murder him.

I tend to try and find the reason behind why something is written, hoping there there is more to it than to simply start the movie off with an action sequence.

Is it really that simple? :angel

I had always felt that they were enemies from a long time ago. And I had HOPED it was because of a woman!

I wonder if they were once friends?

I had always felt that they were enemies from a long time ago. And I had HOPED it was because of a woman!

I wonder if they were once friends?

from my limited knowledge of the unproduced young indy episode, which would have dealt with crystal skulls, they were initially friends.

As for Lao Che, he hired Indy to find Nurhachi, then tried to steal it from him so he wouldn't have to make payment. Indy cut off his son's finger and Lao Che decided to take revenge.

Not sure about Belloq, but they did start out as friends and became rivals, and I think it MIGHT have had something to do with Marion, but I don't know for sure.

Between the lines of Raiders lie all the clues -

Belloq (it seems) has a much more polished and perhaps even bigger reputation than Indy - remember, the Natzis hired him to find the Arc. According to Temple, Indy is viewed as a graverobber and not an archeologist by some. Indy seems to be doing what he does for the preservation of objects, meaning the object is more important than money - for a man like Belloq who operates for cash (most likely seeing as he is a work for hire), Jones would be a constant pain -- seeing how they seem to always be going after the same things.

As for Lao Che -- he didn't want to pay and in his place you know what they say "Anything Goes".

Belloq (it seems) has a much more polished and perhaps even bigger reputation than Indy - remember, the Natzis hired him to find the Arc. According to Temple, Indy is viewed as a graverobber and not an archeologist by some. Indy seems to be doing what he does for the preservation of objects, meaning the object is more important than money - for a man like Belloq who operates for cash (most likely seeing as he is a work for hire), Jones would be a constant pain -- seeing how they seem to always be going after the same things.

As for Lao Che -- he didn't want to pay and in his place you know what they say "Anything Goes".
Well, that's got me convinced! Nice summary!

Rich

Yeah Indy had all sorts of mishaps attributed to him in TOD including being called a grave robber.

Bellog imo had more finesse and Indy got down and dirty when he had to.

Yes, Indy was called a grave-robber, but Belloq was a criminal to me. He sided with the Nazi's and had no problem giving the order to kill Indy.

Seems like his finesse prevented him from getting dirty and actually acquiring artifacts so he followed Indy around, stealing from him.

I still see no reason he would want to kill Indy.

Bear in mind that in '36 and '38, Nazi Germany was still considered a legitimate government. The evil stuff they did had yet to really get underway at that point. Some predicted a coming storm, but they weren't yet synonymous with "evil."

I think Belloq wanted Indy killed because...he was a badguy. Plus, at least with respect to the Ark itself, there was more at stake than JUST the thrill of getting your museum trinket. Belloq, remember, believed in the power of the Ark itself, as did Hitler. They really thought that the Ark would empower Hitler's armies. In that sense, the stakes were high enough that Belloq would be willing to kill.

With the fertility idol it gets a bit trickier, but I think basically that Belloq was simply an amoral guy who was more concerned with getting what he needed than with how he got it. He wasn't bloodthirsty (clearly he was unhappy with leaving Marion in the snake pit with Indy), but he was ruthless.

Also, I dispute that Belloq knew Marion previously -- the scenes in Raiders in the tent with the two of them doesn't bear that out. They'd be acting far more familiar with each other if that had been the case.

Belloq wanted to kill him because he was a competitor. He could never have built his own career and reputation by simply following Indy around the world and pilfering his discoveries. We saw one example of it, and I imagine that's the one time it happened. He was obviously competent in his own right - he spoke the Hovitos language, and as mentioned, the Nazis went to him when trying to find the Ark.

Lao Che wanted revenge for the "dishonor" of his son, and to skimp out on the payment. That was a heckuva diamond!

- D

My theory is that since it was the 1930's, Belloq was a closeted bi-sexual. Probably on some joint international excavation somewhere Indy and Rene hit it off professionally. But somewhere along the line during a dig one evening over several drinks in Indy's tent, Belloq was getting a little too close and personal and Indy responded by punching Belloq right in the face. Since then there was animosity between the two. ;)

So if a woman turns down your advances you have to kill her??

Indy justs knows that Belloq is a sleaz and a thief, and is willing to talk about it, and won't be bribed. Goodbye Dr. Jones.

Maybe they want him killed because of jealousy? He's tall, handsome, witty, single, looks good in professor suits, white tux or adventurer outfit. Uses a bullwhip, is well educated, always has a sidekick......

Yup...jealousy.....i'm a bloke and i quite fancy him now.:lol

Rich

Belloq (it seems) has a much more polished and perhaps even bigger reputation than Indy - remember, the Natzis hired him to find the Arc.

Ah, but only because they probably didn't bother to hire Indy due to the fact that he'd probably have turned them down flat because of his 'integrity', notwithstanding his grave-robbing & others. That's the beauty of Indy. A hero, based on a principle-minded rogue.

Ah, but only because they probably didn't bother to hire Indy due to the fact that he'd probably have turned them down flat because of his 'integrity', notwithstanding his grave-robbing & others. That's the beauty of Indy. A hero, based on a principle-minded rogue.

I'm not sure he would have turned them down knowing they were looking for it and he could work it from the inside -

And, how do we know they even know who he is. You have to remember, even the US government only came to Indy because of his connection to Ravenwood. I doubt the Nazis weighed hiring Indy based on his well known integrity - I believe Bellock is simply more well known as an archeologist, Indiana is nothing more than a college professor to them - who perhaps steps into the field now and then.

Re: The reason for wanting to kill Indiana Jones?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear in mind that in '36 and '38, Nazi Germany was still considered a legitimate government. The evil stuff they did had yet to really get underway at that point. Some predicted a coming storm, but they weren't yet synonymous with "evil."

I think Belloq wanted Indy killed because...he was a badguy. Plus, at least with respect to the Ark itself, there was more at stake than JUST the thrill of getting your museum trinket. Belloq, remember, believed in the power of the Ark itself, as did Hitler. They really thought that the Ark would empower Hitler's armies. In that sense, the stakes were high enough that Belloq would be willing to kill.

With the fertility idol it gets a bit trickier, but I think basically that Belloq was simply an amoral guy who was more concerned with getting what he needed than with how he got it. He wasn't bloodthirsty (clearly he was unhappy with leaving Marion in the snake pit with Indy), but he was ruthless.

Also, I dispute that Belloq knew Marion previously -- the scenes in Raiders in the tent with the two of them doesn't bear that out. They'd be acting far more familiar with each other if that had been the case.

I agree with you dude....

WWII was underway in the 30's darkhelmet...America did not join it until the Attack at Pearl Harbor.

I think you guys have described it pretty well so far as far as the rivalries and things. Belloq felt that Indy was a pain in his side as he got some great info and probably beat him out of some great treasures.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back