Dresden Files - Wizard Staff Replica

Kerr Avon

Master Member
I'm trying to get an estimate of the length of his staff. I've found some antique hockey sticks but the handle is only 36-40" in length. That sounds too short for what I see in this pick. I'm thinking of getting one and extending the length by cutting the stick and extending it under the leather wraps. Anyone want to make an estimate of how long it should be?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Re: Dresden Files Staff Length Estimate

Just a quick guess, but it seems that the staff is about 5'8" tall. That's sixty eight inches, tip and all.

Here's what I would do (totally theory, so don't take it for truth):

Find one of those antique sticks. Sand it down and strip the finish. Attach an extension made of the same kind of wood in the same dimensions as the handle. To accomplish this, use a double-ended screw. You can find these for less than fifty cents at most hardware stores. Use a little wood putty to cover the gap, and then sand the pieces flush. Stain the whole thing so it's a uniform color, and then do your leather wraps.

Staff = done.

That's pretty much what I plan to do, but I intend to conceal the extensions by doing two, and then using the leather wraps to cover up the differences in the wood. It probably won't be sturdy enough to whack people with, but it should look pretty good. :D

There's also an episode where he's charging up the staff, or he does something to reveal all the mystical symbols he's added to the walls and ceiling, and they glow with a weird light. I'm thinking of painting symbols on it with that stuff that glows under black light, as it's otherwise invisible in normal light, yes? Then flick on the light to show the runes on it. :D

Last edited:

What do you mean by "doing two"? Two extensions? I have no idea how that will help conceal wood differences. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Haha, whatever, though. You appear to have this handled pretty well. Let us know how the build goes!

There are two sections of the staff that are wrapped in leather, one towards the end of the handle and one nearer the blade on the hockey stick. Each one looks to be about 8 inches or so. I was thinking of cutting the stick at both points, inserting a length of 6 inches of wood in each cut, then using about 8 inches of leather wrapping on both additions so it covers up the new wood. I figure that'll give a decent enough extension while keeping only the older wood visible keeping the antique appearance.

I started a Dresden Files hockey stick about a year ago, but never finished it. I was actually just carving the runes into it, but the black light thing sounds really cool. I'm interested to see how yours turns out!

This is what I was talking about extending the staff...

attachment.php

I added another 18 inches to the stick. I still need to sand it down a little on the new pieces but it's close to flush with the older wood. Each connection point is double pinned and epoxied together. Once I finish smoothing it all out I'll stain it and seal it before putting leather wraping over the newer wood sections, then painting on with the black light paint the sigils.

Are you planning on doing the book version as well? I have a few ideas on that if you do :)

Thanks! I've got it stained and sealed at this point, no pics yet. I'm looking at leather wrapping options but have found a good source for invisible black light paint and a light. I'm not going to do the books versions of anything really, there's just so much room for interpretation on those and I'm more fond of the TV show than the style of the books.

I've also got these ready to work on a bracelet too... I have to cut the loop for the necklace cord off each of them and epoxy something on the back to allow them to be attached to the leather bracelet that I still have to find source for.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some progress.. first new stain on the wood.. the really dark sections where the extended wood was inserted is a different stain I first tried, but decided I didn't like. I'll resand those areas and stain as well, and also lightly sand the rest of the staff and do a second coat. Then to figure out how to leather wrap the handle and paint the black light sigils.

This is looking great so far! Definitely giving me a few ideas about replicating it myself now. When you've got limited storage space, long and thin seems to be the best way to make large props.

Hey Brian,
I'm following this thread with great interest (been working on "book" versions of the staff & blasting rod); where did you source the Key of Solomon charms? I've been hunting around for quite a while and finding nothing but frustration...
Mike

Thanks! I've got it stained and sealed at this point, no pics yet. I'm looking at leather wrapping options but have found a good source for invisible black light paint and a light. I'm not going to do the books versions of anything really, there's just so much room for interpretation on those and I'm more fond of the TV show than the style of the books.

I've also got these ready to work on a bracelet too... I have to cut the loop for the necklace cord off each of them and epoxy something on the back to allow them to be attached to the leather bracelet that I still have to find source for.

attachment.php

Hey Brian,
I'm following this thread with great interest (been working on "book" versions of the staff & blasting rod); where did you source the Key of Solomon charms? I've been hunting around for quite a while and finding nothing but frustration...
Mike

eBay and "The Magickal Cat" online store.. before you look.. they're not cheap :( They're about $13 each so you're going to be spending money on them if you want auhenticity, but if you're going for authentic and durability, they're tough little charms. They're called usually "charm against mental troubles and bad habits." I can't recall her name, but another board member did a Dresden TV show charm bracelet and did it much more economically by painting the Key on brass disks.

eBay and "The Magickal Cat" online store.. before you look.. they're not cheap :( They're about $13 each so you're going to be spending money on them if you want auhenticity, but if you're going for authentic and durability, they're tough little charms. They're called usually "charm against mental troubles and bad habits." I can't recall her name, but another board member did a Dresden TV show charm bracelet and did it much more economically by painting the Key on brass disks.

THANK YOU!!! I think it was DragonMiss (who also did a great job rendering Hrothbert in all his bony glory)

I believe she epoxied tube beads to the back of her disks; I'm guessing she might've roughed the back of the disk surface and was pretty liberal with the epoxy for durability, especially if it was for costuming - if she sees this hopefully she'll chime in with how well it held together (I.E. how many bullets will it REALLY stop, etc... ; )

I haven't had any luck with locating the leather bracelet, but from judicious shouts of "PAUSO REWINDUM!" at the tv (Followed eventually by "FUEGO!" ; ) it looks and acts like a fairly supple brown belt leather with a loop & knot fastener (the loop looks to be a separate piece sewn onto one end) and the knot looks like it might be the tapered other end wrapped around a bead which is in turn tied around the leather with a cord (also presumably leather).

I haven't had any luck with locating the leather bracelet, but from judicious shouts of "PAUSO REWINDUM!" at the tv (Followed eventually by "FUEGO!" ; ) it looks and acts like a fairly supple brown belt leather with a loop & knot fastener (the loop looks to be a separate piece sewn onto one end) and the knot looks like it might be the tapered other end wrapped around a bead which is in turn tied around the leather with a cord (also presumably leather).

Yeah, the actual leather work is probably going to be very inaccurate when I do mine. I just don't like the size of the knot on the underside of the wrist. It's like a golfball size.

I'm happy with the stain and seal on the staff. I'll leave it for now though, but when I have more time will swing by a local leathershop in town and see if they have any suggestions on leather wrapping the handle.

attachment.php

If you want accuracy, don't cut off the loops on the charms. I've researched how to make the thing (I just can't afford the charms) and they're attached by sewing the loops to the leather. If you look closely, the charms all dangle off the bracelet and hang from one end. Probably not very comfortable to wear, but that's how it was done.

If you want accuracy, don't cut off the loops on the charms. I've researched how to make the thing (I just can't afford the charms) and they're attached by sewing the loops to the leather. If you look closely, the charms all dangle off the bracelet and hang from one end. Probably not very comfortable to wear, but that's how it was done.

I went through every scene of the show I could find that had the bracelet with any focus and couldn't confirm either way if the loop is still there or not. Are you certain about that? Do you have a screen shot or behind the scenes image of it? I haven't cut them off yet, but I could tell that they were stacked the way I have them in my photo, and never could find a shot with the top most one visible enough to determine if the ring was there or not.

I don't have any screen shots to show you, I figured it out way back watching the blurays on my sister's TV when visiting. I don't have the blurays or a BR drive myself and can't remember which episodes had the best shots. I can draw up this crude image of how they're attached though.

Dresdenbracelet.jpg

Basically you just punch the sets of 3 holes and then make several passes with thread to hold down both sides of the loop. This holds the shield down but it has some give and can hang to a degree. I was just going to make the bracelet "clasp" with a snap. I've wanted to make one of these for ages, so if you'd like I could do it for you. I've been doing leather work for years. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss it.

Also, where on the magickal cat site did you get the charms? I can't find them there or on ebay. The only place I had found before was a UK site that wanted 8 pounds a piece and wouldn't combine shipping. The total came out to somewhere around $200.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back