Project sealab

Can someone please provide the correct kit number for the parts shown ?
It would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0011.JPG

What an ugly spud of a kit, Ive seen its parts on their own so many times in relation to studio based models that I thought this was some epic kit......if I saw this at a boot sale i would totally ignore it LOL

What an ugly spud of a kit, Ive seen its parts on their own so many times in relation to studio based models that I thought this was some epic kit......if I saw this at a boot sale i would totally ignore it LOL

I probably felt the same way as a kid when this kit was issued, either I passed it up or never noticed it. But now I'd like to have one to build as is. After molding the parts first ;)

It is interesting to suppose the reason the kit wasn't a huge success back then was because of the failure of the original. However, the Sealab II project was quite successful & in fact the III was the refurbished II! So, in effect a 'dash 3' model could be converted back to the 'dash 2' to represent the one that was actually used to work on the 'saturation diving' theories. Reading through the -2 project report & its conclusions, the recommended improvements are obvious in the Aurora model (as they were on the original Sealab III.) [Report can be downloaded in its entirety, including the images, charts & drawings, from the Biodiversity Heritage Library HERE.]

Not quite the 'marketing success' as the Apollo program, Sealab was certainly on a similar cusp of scientific & exploratory endeavor. Perhaps the relative lack of hoopala is related to the fact that the Navy put the findings to practical use... or maybe it was just the silly way the guys sounded in the helium atmosphere!

Now I want to build a 1/48 scale model of the thing! Just need to start with a 3-inch dia. tube ...preferably clear so I can do it as a 'cutaway'..& a bunch of Evergreen sheet & Plastruct structural shapes. Much more interesting that way.

Regards, Robert

Excellent!
Yes, in the intervening five years (ooof) I got another Sealab kit, and the parts are currently parted out for a few specific projects. But when the dust settles and the Blockade Runner project is over for casting and under way for builders, one of the casters really wants to do the whole kit, since that styrene rebirth fizzled. (we were waiting and hoping for that all last year)

The styrene one seems to have died. They only generated $13k or so in preorders and wanted to fund the whole thing with pre-orders and not assume any risk.

The resin one will happen, as a complete "kit" according to the intentions of my friend. But I need to wrap up a few other in-progress things first.

The styrene one seems to have died. They only generated $13k or so in preorders and wanted to fund the whole thing with pre-orders and not assume any risk.QUOTE]
The unofficial word is they are still interested in doing the Sealab kit but it's been shelved until the cost vs sales issue is covered.
Part of the problem might be a breakdown in communication inside the hobby industry between Atlantis, distributers like Stevens, and local hobby shops. Atlantis said they had talked to suppliers, but calls from local hobby shops to distributers like Midwest and Stevens were responded to with "no knowledge of the kit" type answers. Most small hobby shops only buy from the distributers (why order a case when you only will sell 1 or 2) and were not interested or unable to respond to the preorder page.

Last edited:
Yeah, it certainly seemed like it wasn't really publicized too well. I only heard about it here on the RPF; not a peep on any other forums that I saw (which is of course only anecdotal since I expect someone was getting a discussion going elsewhere...) Too passive a campaign in my estimation to really garner a 'passing grade'.

Sigh.

R/ Robert

The styrene one seems to have died. They only generated $13k or so in preorders and wanted to fund the whole thing with pre-orders and not assume any risk.QUOTE]
The unofficial word is they are still interested in doing the Sealab kit but it's been shelved until the cost vs sales issue is covered.
Part of the problem might be a breakdown in communication inside the hobby industry between Atlantis, distributers like Stevens, and local hobby shops. Atlantis said they had talked to suppliers, but calls from local hobby shops to distributers like Midwest and Stevens were responded to with "no knowledge of the kit" type answers. Most small hobby shops only buy from the distributers (why order a case when you only will sell 1 or 2) and were not interested or unable to respond to the preorder page.
When they say talking to the shop, do they mean the owners or casual employee, this kit is a classic kit, it needs to be advertised with modelling clubs first IPMS etc, then you'll see the real valid reaction, maybe even hitting a lot of the more popular modelling channels on YouTube etc, as the world has changed a lot regarding specialty items.

When they say talking to the shop, do they mean the owners or casual employee, this kit is a classic kit, it needs to be advertised with modelling clubs first IPMS etc, then you'll see the real valid reaction, maybe even hitting a lot of the more popular modelling channels on YouTube etc, as the world has changed a lot regarding specialty items.
The store owners talking to distributers. Of the 3 hobby shops I talked to they all wanted the kit but the hold up was they would not order from the companies web site not knowing if and when it would be released. Reasons given were they would be setting aside the money for the kits that they could be using while Atlantis was trying to decide if it was a go, and the feeling that there wasn't enough room to make a profit on the kit based on the presale prices. I was told by all shops calls and emails to their distributers were answered with comments that they had no knowledge of the kit or the preordering.

besides it being dead? Or you mean the resin one?
As soon as the Greeblie packs are done, I will once again ***** out my raggedy kit to be fully cast, lol. Resin.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back