Bondo. Please help me!

jnjoker100

Today I started resin, rondo and bondoing my iron man helmet.... I realized REALLY quick that im allergic to something in the bondo. Its not a severe allergy but it burns the P*ss outta my arms and wherever it touches... what other stuff can i use?

Were you wearing gloves? Some people have a sensitivity to the stuff, there's also Rock Hard Water Putty I think is what the stuff is called but when it hardens it's a little heavier you can find it at a hardware store. When I did bondo work I would'nt touch it at all, I would still wear gloves but I would use $1 paint brushes from Wal-Mart and just brush the bondo onto the item then wash out the brush in a container of acetone before the bondo hardened on the brush. And if you're working with Rondo it hardens quick and heats up fast as hell.

It dripped onto my forearms, thats where it burned. I washed it off immediately and noticed i had a rash in the shape of the droplet..... FML

If that was Rondo it will do that. But I've heard of a lot of people using the Rock Hard Water Putty stuff I have'nt ever used it but I've heard it's a good alternative.

Not normal for Bondo but if it was Rondo the chemical reaction can cause that to happen. I've had a little bondo get on my hand or arm before and just let it sit there until I was done brushing which I could just pick it off my skin.

i have the same reaction to resin. i always just figured it was because it has microscopic glass particles in it or something, but i could be wrong. anyways, my skin gets used to it and it stops affecting me like that after i work on something for more than a day or two.

You are having a SEVERE reaction to the resin and I don't think(short of going to a doctor) that you should use it(even w/gloves).You can try epoxy w/gloves but you could be subjected to the same reaction.Your reaction in the long run can be fatal.That's just me, I could be wrong,but why chance it?

fatal? really? i don't know about the original poster, but for me it is not at all that serious. i just get a little red rash where the resin hits my skin and then after i peel off the dried resin i'm pretty much fine. by day two the resin doesn't even make my skin red anymore.
better to be cautious and careful though.

edit: i do wear breathing equipment too. i think i WOULD die without it. :)

I can't even work with bondo anymore myself and working with fiberglass resin is limited, but I can work with urathane resin no problem at all, I just brush it on the outside of a pepakura item and slushcast the inside basically, then pt a couple more coats on the outside if I want and no need for bondo.

you can use automotive spot putty or icing you can these at napa. its a deferrant product with the same aplication and purpose. hope it helps.

No, John! Epoxy toxicity can be much higher than polyester. Any polyester burns the heck out of my skin.

Wear gloves and wear a proper vapour mask. Keep it away from your eyes, big time. You'll be fine.

i wear gloves and always have long sleeves when working with the stuff. sop long as the fumes don't cause you issue, you should be fine with that practice.

Is Bondo a product name? or something given to an Epoxy resin?

Bondo is actually a 3M subsidiary name, they make many differ auto body repair products...

But, most people in the US refer to talc filled polyester auto body filers as 'Bondo'

And back on subject, yeah it burns when you get it on your skin, it has a powerful solvent in it (aka styrene aka vinyl benzene) wear gloves and long sleeves... Better yet read the MSDS

http://www.plasticareinc.com/Merchant2/MSDS_Bondo/bondo body filler 264.pdf

Section 3 – Hazards Identification
Primary Routes of Entry: Inhalation, skin contact, ingestion, eyes.
Exposure Effects Acute and Chronic:

Inhalation: Acute: Nasal and respiratory irritation, nausea, cough, shortness of breath, dehydration, allergic respiratory
reaction, tiredness, dizziness, weakness, headache, anesthesia, drowsiness, fatigue, chest pain, vomiting, central
nervous system effects, narcosis. Liquid can be fatal if aspirated into the lungs.

Skin contact: Acute: Extraction of natural oils with resulting dry skin, irritation, allergic skin reactions, redness and
dermatitis. May be absorbed through the skin.

Eye contact: Acute: Irritation, redness, pain, tearing, blurred vision, sensation of seeing halos around lights and
reversible damage.

Ingestion: Acute: Gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, headache, dizziness, drowsiness,
fatigue, lack of coordination, central nervous system effects, depression.

Chronic: Repeated overexposure to this product may cause: central nervous system damage, hearing damage, kidney
damage, liver abnormalities, lung damage, cardiac abnormalities, reproductive organ damage, blood effects, eye
damage.

Other Health Effects:

Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. Reports have
associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system
damage.

I have the same reaction to fiberglass id I get a smug on my skin it ends up a blisterie burn mark and it gets really itchy after a bit of time,
I make helmets so I have my arm deep in a mold so I end up with the stuff all over me , I constantly have contact burns on my forarms
All I can do to avoid it is were rubber gloves and make an effort not to get it on me,
Bondo is the same thing as Fiberglass, pollyester resin not to mention the benzil peroxide that is thew hardener that stuff on your skin burns on its own so mixed together along with the fact that when the react they creat heat enough to burn if left on your skin, the 2 products are toxic and will burn they melt through paint , so your skin has no chance , your not alone in this all people will have a reaction some worse than others,
As for glass particals there arnt any in the actual fillers there in the fiber glass sheeting
so just were gloves and be carfull the stuff is toxic thats all it is

i have the same reaction to resin. i always just figured it was because it has microscopic glass particles in it or something, but i could be wrong. anyways, my skin gets used to it and it stops affecting me like that after i work on something for more than a day or two.

This intrigues me.

Epoxy and the like shouldn't have glass in it until you add it yourself, I think. So, I'm guessing that it is your reaction is to the resin itself. This part makes sense. Some people are naturally alergic to the stuff, others develop an allergy over time. (Hence, it is considered a sensitizer) The only times I've worked with resin, I've double gloved since all I had was latex (I think you need something more robust, like nitrle) and, chemically, it's like not having a glove on at all. Maybe the air layer between the two added some protection. I'm not keen to experiment and 'use up' any tolerance I have before I have to.

Your scenario is odd in that you're developing a tolerance to the material? After working with it, does your skin not react any more, or is the rash still physically there and you just mentally cope with it better after a couple days?

Last edited:
If that was Rondo it will do that. But I've heard of a lot of people using the Rock Hard Water Putty stuff I have'nt ever used it but I've heard it's a good alternative.

Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty is a powder you mix with water, it's very much the same thing as plaster. I guess it could be used like Bondo, but I don't know what kind of bond it has, it may not stick to resin or plastic. But it's a good substitute for plaster.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back