Illuminated Mustafar Lightsaber Stand

Jm419

Sr Member
We all have the problem of displaying our props - but some of the hardest to display are lightsabers. Some of us display them vertically, some horizontally, and some in special protective cases. A lucky few of us own one of Fx-Sabers Master Yoda's masterpiece Graflex lightsabers, and even fewer own the Hoth lightsaber stand (I only know of one, for certain).

In the entire saga, (and no, The Clone Wars doesn't count), special attention is paid to only six instances where a lightsaber is not in its owner's hand. In The Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon's lightsaber is featured prominently as it rests on the floor of the Theed Palace. In Attack of the Clones, Anakin's lightsaber is cut in two by Dooku during their duel, and is cast to the floor, useless. The curious trend occurs twice in Revenge of the Sith, with Obi-Wan's lightsaber is knocked from his hand during his duel with General Grievous and falls several hundred feet to land only yards away from Commander Cody, who later returns it to Obi-Wan. The second occurence is at the very end of the movie, where Anakin's lightsaber is cut from his grip by his mentor's blade, and falls to the sands of Mustafar. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan's lightsaber falls to nestle amongst his robes as the Jedi Master becomes one with the Force, and in The Empire Strikes Back, Anakin's lightsaber, now in the possession of his son, falls into a snowdrift in the Wampa's cave.

Now, out of these six occurences, only two of them happen in a natural environment - that is, where the lightsaber falls onto something other than a metal deck. This happens both times to Anakin Skywalker's second lightsaber, when it is dropped on Mustafar and later on Hoth. Naturally, it isn't particularly interesting to model a metal deck, so when Yoda released his special lightsaber stand, he chose the Hoth location - in part because it was a Graflex, after all, which was dropped, and in part because he could take some creative license with the environment, by adding ice crystals to what was in the film, white powder.

So, in the interest of solving one of my display problems, and to contribute something to this hobby (for once), I chose to model the other natural environment - the volcanic soil of Mustafar. Arguably, this is one of the more important moments of the saga, for when Obi-Wan stoops to pick up Anakin's lightsaber, for it is closing the "circle" which was opened in 1977, when Obi-Wan handed the same weapon to Luke. That moment, where he retrieves Anakin's lightsaber, is important both in our world and in his - for it is ancient practice to retrieve lightsabers of fallen Jedi Knights in the Star Wars universe, and we all knew Obi-Wan had to get possession of the weapon somehow.

It's not like anyone read that anyway. So, on to the pictures:

Photoon2011-05-25at10282.jpg

Photoon2011-05-25at1029.jpg

I wasn't quite sure how to model ash and rock while I was on a budget - but I figured out a way. Instead of modeling ash, why not use real ash, that's been through fire? It's the most authentic way to achieve the look, but it wouldn't hold up. So, I needed a base for the ash - and I came up with one. It's a well documented process to carve foam to create shapes - but I wasn't getting the look I wanted that way. I literally lit the foam on fire, which created such interesting melting patterns, and really mimics the look of the tortured landscape of Mustafar.

Photoon2011-05-25at1030.jpg

Photoon2011-05-25at10312.jpg

Now, the problem is this; though it looks great in person, how to I photograph it? The contrast is so huge that my camera either can't pick up little details, or washes them out in the flash. Unfortunately, the best photograph of my creative license that I took with my stand is this:

Photoon2011-05-25at1035.jpg

As you can see, there's light under the "rocks." I actually mounted 6 super-bright red LEDs under the rocks, and used them to create kind of a "lava glow" from under the rock, which provides another dimension to the stand. Like Yoda's ice crystals, there's no real lava in the area that the lightsaber is dropped in the film, but I figured I could always shut the lights down for movie accuracy.

Due to the nature of red light, and the fact that it's on the very edge of our visible spectrum, it doesn't photograph well - we all know this. The LEDs are "super-bright" LEDs, each putting out 5,000 mcds of light - for a total of 30,000 mcds in just under 18x14 inches of space. It's bright in person, but I wanted it to be subtle, not as bright as a lightsaber blade (obviously), but kind of...emanating from under the stone. While it works in person, it regrettably does not photograph well - but you can get the idea from this shot here.

So, in any case, I am proud to present my Illuminated Mustafar Lightsaber Stand, for my Anakin ROTS stunt.

Photoon2011-05-25at1037.jpg

For bigger photos, the album location is here:

Anakin ROTS pictures by Jm419 - Photobucket

Thanks for looking, everyone!

That is really cool! One of the more intriguing things I've seen in a while. Sabre looks a little to fresh comparatively, but I know you wouldn't want to beat it up for this.

Nice job!

Last edited:
Wow... simply WOW...
I did read all the text ;) and I must admit, I would like to do something for my MR Mace Wind LE saber.
Although the only time he let's his go is in ep3 when Anakin cuts off Mace's hand and it all goes out the window on Coruscant.
Since I don't know how the ground on Coruscant looks it's kinda hard to do anything.
But, if I would skip the authenticity, and since it's an ep2 prop, I could do a base from the geonosian arena. Maybe get a jango helm and put both together for a diorama-like feeling.
Well, time to stop rambling. :p
My point was, awesome work! Really got me going :D
/D

I can't remember ever reading about so much thought going into a lightsaber stand. I know there are those out there who do it but I've never had the pleasure of being walked through the thought process.
Awesome work.

PS: Best line ever: "but I wasn't getting the look I wanted that way. I literally lit the foam on fire..." :lol

That is really cool! One of the more intriguing things I've seen in a while. Sabre looks a little to fresh comparatively, but I know you wouldn't want to beat it up for this.

Nice job!

Thanks. I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with LDM, or General Grievous on the Fx-sabers boards, but he actually does a line of Mustafar weathered lightsabers - making both Obi-Wan and Anakin sabers which appear weathered, blackened with soot and the like. Some very cool stuff. That's kinda where I got the idea, because I always kinda thought about weathering this particular stunt, but I never got around to it.

Wow... simply WOW...
I did read all the text ;) and I must admit, I would like to do something for my MR Mace Wind LE saber.
Although the only time he let's his go is in ep3 when Anakin cuts off Mace's hand and it all goes out the window on Coruscant.
Since I don't know how the ground on Coruscant looks it's kinda hard to do anything.
But, if I would skip the authenticity, and since it's an ep2 prop, I could do a base from the geonosian arena. Maybe get a jango helm and put both together for a diorama-like feeling.
Well, time to stop rambling. :p
My point was, awesome work! Really got me going :D
/D

Oh, you know what - I forgot one. Windu does drop his saber in the Geonosis arena - remember, Jango dives after it? You could easily do something like that - just get some sand, etc. Maybe some Battle Droid parts along the edge?

I'm glad I'm an inspiration. I just wanted to put this together for myself - and frankly, the comments are kind of staggering - how nice everyone is being, and how much they like this. Thanks for your compliment.

I can't remember ever reading about so much thought going into a lightsaber stand. I know there are those out there who do it but I've never had the pleasure of being walked through the thought process.
Awesome work.

PS: Best line ever: "but I wasn't getting the look I wanted that way. I literally lit the foam on fire..." :lol

LOL. I figured it would work - and it did. The fire was actually the best idea I had in a while when I thought it would be a good deal on this stand. It really makes it feel authentic, you know?

Thanks for your compliments - I'm not sure I'm one of the greats of stand making, and this was just kind of a one-off. Even so, I'm really flattered that everyone likes it so much.

Beautiful, great work!

Thanks, buddy. It really means a lot.

I love how you captured the scene. It was almost daring you to do it.

-Eric

It was, wasn't it? It was fun to do - and I think it turned out nice. Thanks for your comment!

Oh my, how did that slip my mind. He did drop it in the arena! Now all I need to find is something that can resemble Droid scraps, shouldn't be too hard. Cogs and springs and some more revealing parts. And a Jango helmet.... but first I must stay vigilant and keep saving for a jedi outfit :p

What a great idea, and really well executed! Brilliant. Personally, I think it's really important for props to be displayed properly, it really helps to bring them into focus when there's been some thought gone into the display as a whole, a bit of context goes a long way. It's a great saber and a perfect display, Congrats!

Great idea.

"Your father wanted you to have this.....after I hacked off his limbs and made him a quadriplegic and left him burning to death." ?!?!?

Verry cool! Ani's AOTC saber gets cut and broken in the droid factory when he's stuck under a droid arm thing, and later gets a new one and that one gets cut from Dooku.
Obi also drops his while fighting Jango on the Kamino landing platform, Vader throws his at Luke but doesn't show where it lands, Ani's drops down the Bespin trench along with Luke's severed hand, Dooku's i guess is laying next to his body after Ani uses it on him, Luke throws his version 2 but i have no idea where it lands- but yea none are really natural environments as you stated

Last edited:
Obi also drops his while fighting Jango on the Kamino landing platform,

Only problem with this one is that the Obi-Wan saber used in this scene (ep1/2 version) is very hard to get your hands on, unless it's a resin version. Otherwise it's an awesome idea :)
/D

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

We were talking about doing a severed Vader hand with a Vader ROTJ saber in it - that could be kind of cool. Even though you never see it onscreen, we know it must have happened that way.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back