Nerf gun paint job...

Matsuo

Sr Member
This was a straight up paint job no add on parts.

188724103_l.jpg

There was a lot of filling and sanding. As with any toy the screw holes had to be filled in, and this particular product has a cheesy looking shield on the side that got sanded off as well as all Nerf logos and any other mfg stampings I deemed unfit for a BFG such as this.

I was going for a heavily worn and almost "cartoonish" effect, which works well given the subject matter.

The pistol got a lot of attention; I drilled out the vent holes and filled in all the screw holes. It has a two-tone black paint job, semi gloss on the grip and lower barrel unit and gunmetal on the upper portion. This thing has a nice anime feel to it.

188723262_l.jpg

The multi launcher has a weird shape that I didn't like at all at first, but the painting really brought out the style. The logo/shield on the side was really obtrusive, I sanded it off and re scribed the panel lines.
It has two tone black with krylon OD green shrouding. I weathered it with silver paint pen (that's right) and an ultra thin mix of flat black airbrushed for the forced shading. This technique tones down the silver scuffs and gives a really nice used look. If it gets over done I go back with the original OD in the airbrush to highlight the center of the panels...I go back and forth like that till I am satisfied with the effect.

188718337_l.jpg

The missile launcher got the same weathering, you can see the grip pannels how I used semi gloss black over flat black to simulate rubber or plastic grips, (same on all the guns) The projectile was a real challenge...at first...it's of course foam, so I gave it a healthy dose of plasti-dip spray (black first) then I detailed it with Tamiya acrylic spray and Krylon latex spray. These paints stand up to a good deal of flexing, so far it has survived multiple impacts and shows NO sign of wear, cracking or peeling. The "launch tube" was airbrushed with Testors buffing metalizer (stainless steel) and then "smoked” at both ends, then polished.

188717787_l.jpg

Every now and then I like doing "out of the box" projects like this just to practice some new paint techniques.

A little painting and weathering can go a long way to turn an ordinary toy into an extraordinary prop.

I've done full on custom rebuilds aplenty but these kinds of paint ups are fun, anyone else do stuff like this? I'd love to see it.

Matt

So, has the second mortage, on that second house you own to display all the prop guns you make, a real pain oin the wallet, or what?? :)

Seems like you're turning out cool stuff every coupld of days Matt..

I dig the newer nerf guns, the "anime" style gun, care to shoot me a picture of it before work was done?? Because I want to go buy one. :)

Njc-------------------------

Beautiful as always Matt---very realistic weathering. :thumbsup

I assume you've been testing the missle launcher on a regular basis---do the neighborhood cats flee in terror when you step out the door? :lol

Have to say, this must be the year of the NERF---several of our BBC contest entries are NERF guns, and now you're posting them.

Thanx for the kind words guys..

Yeah the set is a three piece so if you want the pistol you have to get the whole set.

I might get another one, some time soon. If someone else gets the set and wants to get rid of the big missile launcher drop me a line. I have some custom ideas for that one.

Matt

Originally posted by ToothTech@Aug 13 2005, 10:01 PM
I assume you've been testing the missle launcher on a regular basis---do the neighborhood cats flee in terror when you step out the door? :lol

No, but I bet the neighbours doo :D

As an aside, where I live right now is a fairly close-set neighborhood, bout a driveways width between houses...I may be moving to the country soon, so I won't really have much in the way of neighbors...as such...

I'm going to miss that wide eyed, currious, somewhat frightened look I sometimes got from my neighbors when they caught me in the back yard with a blaster or a machinegun (prop). Ergo that's why most of my pix are indoors, (on the garish red tablecloth) :p

Matt

That pistol is awsome (^_^)

I seen those in the stores and didn't think much of them. If they were painted like that, I'd take a tripple take.

Just went to TRU to see about the combo set.
They had all the guns accept that one. :angry
Guess I'll try Walmart tomorrow, Don't remember seeing it at Target.

D6

Originally posted by division 6@Aug 13 2005, 06:52 PM
Just went to TRU to see about the combo set.
They had all the guns accept that one. :angry
Guess I'll try Walmart tomorrow, Don't remember seeing it at Target.

D6
[snapback]1057058[/snapback]​

I believe it is a toys r us exclusive :(

They can be found at Wal-Mart. I would show mine but it's under wraps until the BBC's custom blaster contest is over.

I am dumbfounded.. That is some seriously great work, I might have to give it a try :) Plus, painting nerf is a heck of a lot better then painting a prop, especially when I never painted anything like this before :)

Thanks for the pics.

I have two of the revolvers and i was always tempted to paint it like that....i think i just might now...that's pretty sweet.....i might have to pick up the huge combo too... :D

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back