Nerf gun paint job...

Removing primer? Bad news I'm afraid. Hand sanding it off is the way to go. x,x

Be very careful layering paints on these things. With some moving components like the triggers and buttons, even a couple layers of paint is enough to make them stick and jam. That's why I favor vinyl dye, in spite of its limited color palette. Others swear by Krylon Fusion, but I've never gotten good results with that stuff. I tout the Duplicolor brand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcoffman99 @ Apr 12 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]1461077[/snapback]</div>
Ok I primed mine last night and it didn't go so well. Anybody know the best way to remove the primer? I don't have an air brush so I had to use a spray can. I'm determined this 5 dollar toy will not get the best of me. :)

John
[/b]

Try nail polish remover... I did some spraying recently on my Han Blaster and got blow back all over my brand new glasses....Doh..
Nail polish remover cleaned them up no problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roughneckone @ Apr 12 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]1461075[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nae1000 @ Apr 12 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]1461038[/snapback]
well, it seems that the uk toy market is no need of nerf..
woolworths, toys r us, entertainer, argos do not stock any nerf stuff other than the odd vortex ball.
[/b]
You're certainly right on that one, pretty much none to be found on-line or in-shop in the UK.

I have to say I lucked out and found a couple of Mavericks in a local Store but nothing else. I'm trying to get a Longshot from the US but it's living up to it's name right now and proving to be somewhat expensive for a "Kiddies" toy. Even asking through the NERF sites (NERF Haven and NERF HQ) is proving pretty fruitless, Doh..... :eek

Roughneckone :)
[/b][/quote]

there's a couple of logshots on ebay, cheapest with shipping's about £25 real money ( :D ), truely a lot for a toy that sells for about £10 in the states. you could try amazon.com, but unless it's a product line available on amazon.co.uk they usually (my experience) wont let you buy it from the UK. (Boooooo)

just paid £13 for a maverick shippied from france. slightly cheaper than the uk sellers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nae1000 @ Apr 13 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1461498[/snapback]</div>
there's a couple of logshots on ebay, cheapest with shipping's about £25 real money ( :D ), truely a lot for a toy that sells for about £10 in the states. you could try amazon.com, but unless it's a product line available on amazon.co.uk they usually (my experience) wont let you buy it from the UK. (Boooooo)

just paid £13 for a maverick shippied from france. slightly cheaper than the uk sellers
[/b]
Hmmm, just had a quick look on the Bay and the cheapest I can see them is around the £45 mark with shipping! :cry
The two Mavericks I got locally I must've really lucked out with as they cost me the grand sum of £6 for both (and yes they were MIB and sorry no they don't have any more)! :lol

Roughneckone :D

Last edited:
Actually, the Longshot is usually at least 25 bucks in American stores. Call it 30 after taxes and gas expended fetching one. ;) I'm surprised Amazon and Hasbro aren't shipping overseas though. Something to do with gun laws perhaps?

I figure it has to be easier getting them from the US to Europe than vice versa. I won some British riot police gloves in an Ebay auction recently, and they've been tied up for weeks in customs. Just ridiculous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anima @ Apr 13 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1461657[/snapback]</div>
Actually, the Longshot is usually at least 25 bucks in American stores. Call it 30 after taxes and gas expended fetching one. ;) I'm surprised Amazon and Hasbro aren't shipping overseas though. Something to do with gun laws perhaps?

I figure it has to be easier getting them from the US to Europe than vice versa. I won some British riot police gloves in an Ebay auction recently, and they've been tied up for weeks in customs. Just ridiculous.
[/b]

well, $25 is about £12.50 bang on these days. no idea about the law, nerf used to be everywhere when i was a kid (just wasn't interested, more of a super soaker guy) and i do mean everywhere.
can only guess some marketing guy's decided against us as a viable territory, or perhaps released in very small numbers.

customs take the piss everywhere. why can't they just x-ray it, sniff it, agree it's not gonna hurt anyone and move it along.?.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roughneckone @ Apr 13 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]1461587[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nae1000 @ Apr 13 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1461498[/snapback]

[/b]
Hmmm, just had a quick look on the Bay and the cheapest I can see them is around the £45 mark with shipping. :cry
The two Mavericks I got locally I must've really lucked out with as they cost me the grand sum of £6 for both (and yes they were MIB and sorry no they don't have any more). :lol

Roughneckone :D
[/b][/quote]

right you are, was looking at one's auction and buy it now price. duh. :$ :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronz @ Apr 13 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1461882[/snapback]</div>
Just took a few secs on Froogle, boy you guys looked REAL hard;). Hope it helps.
[/b]
LOL, I would like to thank you very much for being more diligent (and obviously much smarter) than any of us other UK Nerfer's, in my own defence I didn't think of Froogle when I was looking, Doh.... :cry

Pulling this thread back on topic (slightly) I've also just ordered a Nerf Rebel Trooper Blaster on the Bay so I should have a few mod's/paint jobs up here sometime soon hopefully. :D

Thank's again Ronz. :thumbsup

Roughneckone :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronz @ Apr 13 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1461882[/snapback]</div>
Nerf guns in UK

Nite Finder http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/nerf-nstrik...amp;language=en

N-Strike http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/nerf-nstrik...ter-p-2036.html

Also here, loads of stuff http://store.legoplaysets.com/servlet/-strse-Nerf/Categories

Just took a few secs on Froogle, boy you guys looked REAL hard;). Hope it helps.
[/b]

froogle??

cheers duder

:) :p

edit: still very pricey though.

I am not sure about Gun Laws and everything, but my guess over here is that not enough "interest" were generated for Hasbro or Toys R Us to bring it in. So, we had o make do with eBay. After our Nerf Hornet and Scout purchase, we're thinking of how to get the Longshot through Customs.

BTW, I am still looking for more NERF Scouts. The handgun just looked so Matsamune Shirow.

What kind of prep do you do for the plastics on the Nerf guns?

Much/any sanding, special primer to get paint to stick to the plastics?

Thanks in advance.

Don
Obi_don

Last edited:
Don, most of those Nerf guns and just about most all other toy guns are either styrene or ABS, they are quite receptive to enamel paint with only a little sanding. Some of those guns also might have oil contamination due to a small amount of lube put on the working parts when they are made...though most toy mfg's aren't that thoughtful it does happen form time to time. Most conscientious painters will wash down the plastic with soap and water or give it a wipe down with denatured alcohol as a last step before painting for this reason.
The kind of plastic that is really picky about paint is PTFE (milk jug type plastic) Usually used in blow molded guns, like the reservoir tanks on super soaker type guns. That kind of plastic needs to be scuffed well with sandpaper and then primed and painted with Krylon fusion paint (or similar).

M

Totally mindblowing work! I thought the two pistols were kit bashes but their just paint and fill mods! Crimeny! They'd look perfect in Starship Troopers or HALO or something. Dude, you are amazing!

Ann's Crafts and Things here is closing out there Krylon Fusion paint and I bought out their entire stock of Flat black at 1.97 a can. It works well on painting vinyl too. So I need to find more stores with it because I have a bunch of projects that I want to do with it including one super soaker mod.

Great Thread. I actually just started to paint these 2 guns for a quick MIB costume for Dragoncon. This is just the first coat of chrome, I am not finished yet. Gonna do a second coat and a clear coat as well to lock in the color. Without a flash the guns are totally chrome looking. The flash gives away the color underneath. I am using a product called mirrachrome. Applying it with a airbrush. The smaller gun was the liquidator super soaker and has meshing added to it where the water bottle use to be. The bigger gun use to be a ping pong ball type of gun. It actually has a built in flash when the trigger is pulled. I'll post some more pics up when finished. For now:

mib%20007.jpg

mib%20012.jpg

mib%20011.jpg

mib%20010.jpg

So I gotta know, what maker has these two models?

Quick bump to put out a Nerf blaster B.O.L.O. for all those still after the small Anime/manga style pistol Matsuo painted up so well.
(It's called the 'Scout', BTW, from the 3 in 1 set. and also the Tech Target set).

There are nerf knockoffs out there!
NerfScoutKnockoff.jpg

Bought this here in the UK. Has all the trademark info & badges removed already! So if you don't like all that sanding & filling, you're good to go!
Plastic is hard, more like ABS plastic maybe?

That's the paintjob it comes with. Not too sure of the pale metallic blue, but the black with gunmetal looks nice.

NerfScoutKnockoff2.jpg

The real bonus is that the middle 'barrel' (the bottom one is a dart holder) is a Laser pointer! Two AA batteries go in the grip and lights up when the trigger is pulled (like on the Night Finder blaster).
Easily removed and used on something else. ;)

The box it comes mounted stated the blaster has 'Infra Red light' so I just expected an LED. Neat little add on.

There's a Night Finder knockoff that has the laser too, painted in the same colours.

I might grab a few more of this one while I still can! :D

Coz.

walmarts got that one shown above in a single and a couple others, the maverick that had a crap load of so naturallu I had to grab one, just need a cool idea of what to make it out of.

i decided to give this custom painted Nerf thing a try so i got a Longshot and paint her up sorta Morita/Pulse rifle...

so far I have modded it , just paint... and a shtt load of weather... all the "bright" spots are the silver weathering.... i wanted it to look beat up..

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back