Nerf gun paint job...

Originally posted by Gigatron+Aug 15 2005, 09:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Aug 15 2005, 09:02 AM)</div>
Second, Tommin, how do you paint the small details on something like the red gun?  do you mask them off before you spray or are they painted with a brush afterwards?  If they're masked, what are you using to mask them?[/b]
The red one was loosely sprayed with an anodized color over chrome. The finished color looks better in person. As for the blacks, those are thinned down Testor's paints that I brushed on later by hand. When I say thin, I mean thin. It is almost like dirty thinner and its applied in several layers. The good thing about it is that it covers quick without disturbing the underlying layer of paint and dries fast.

<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Aug 15 2005, 09:02 AM
Now a question to all others:  When you want to fill in the screw holes but still take apart the blaster to paint it, what's the procedure?  I would think that if you paint it while it's apart, then filling the holes after it's reassembled would be a pain because you'd have to go back and paint over all the holes (especially if you're using bondo to fill them).
I've always put mine back together before filling the holes. I guess it depends on the type of blaster you are making. One method of getting around that mess is something I call balloon masking...

img4.jpg

This keeps the inside surfaces blacked out while the outside is painted another color.

img8.jpg

Other than that, you could always fill the holes first and then glue the parts back together. Dunno, that's a good question.

Casey, the ratio of paint to thinner for the smoked or blast effect varies. Depending on what type of paint you use. I have used anywhere from half and half thiner to paint to 75% thinner to paint...Paint opacities vary from brand to brand. I use a low pressure in my airprush for up close work..or high pressure from a greater distance for a general dirtying up of the parts in question.

M

Here's a nerf gun that I used to make my Wife's Mara Jade pistol

Before
nerfbase.jpg

I ended up gutting most of the gun and shorting it.

Construction stage with some bondo.
Picture003.jpg

Painted with flat black paint and weathered with silver rub-n-buff
Finished product.
Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh perty...Perfect Mara blaster.

Thats most likely my next one, as it's the only one I can find left in the stores.. :unsure

I'm still looking for another one of the "BFG" set...

Matt

Matsuo, I'm going to look for that set, as I really dig that pistol, so chances are you'll get your extra BFG. ;)

I'm still looking to the combo just for that pistol. :unsure

I've been eying the one SWFreak modified for some time.
It's also about the only one I can find.

D6

Cool guys... whoever gets the big set let me know and I'll take the big launcher off your hands if you don't want it.

Matt

I work at Target and saw the small ones this morning.
$4.99 IIRC, more at TRU.

I like what you did with it.
Now I guess I will pick one up. :D

D6

Damn fine work guys.

Its amazing what a different coat of paint will do to the look of a toy gun. I have a few that I have been meaning to re-do as well. This thread is going to make me get off my ass and do it. :)

How hard was it to gut that "laser sight" out of that gun? (any pics of it's innerds?)

I've got one of those, and have been thinking on ripping it's guts out. :)

Also have one of those revolving nerf guns, and have considered tearing it apart as well. Nice job on the weathering Matt, is that with the silver paint pen?

Nerf, who the hell knew. :eek

Njc------------------------------

Yeah it's the damndest thing..the metallic "grain" in the paint-pen paint is as fine as any brush on paint. It settles down nicely and dries very fast. I use the pen itself for large jobs like armor, and dab some on a pallette and use a brush for small work like on blasters.

Matt

Originally posted by Noeland@Aug 18 2005, 05:44 PM
How hard was it to gut that "laser sight" out of that gun? (any pics of it's innerds?)
[snapback]1060811[/snapback]​

Sorry no pic's of the innards. But from what I remember it was reat easy to take apart. The whole thing is held together by screws. And that "laser" is nothing more than a red light bulb with a magnifing glass.

What type of tube did you use for the barrell? Also, did you just glue the 2 pieces together?

Originally posted by SWFreak@Aug 18 2005, 08:01 AM
Painted with flat black paint and weathered with silver rub-n-buff
Finished product.
mjade2.jpg.w560h420.jpg

[right][snapback]1060366[/snapback][/right]
[/b][/quote]

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back