Nerf gun paint job...

Sweet job Matt, I saw that gun awhile ago and from the moment I saw it I knew it would make a good prop gun. Might go snagone since I got some extra cash. (IE the very last one posted) What gun is the second picture of in your first post? almost lookslike it would go with BSG.

Adam

EDIT: NM found answer in previous post

HOLY CRAP. That is incredible. I have a nerf gun. It's an automatic that fires about 16 shots i think? It has like this sliding clip in front.

How did you paint those? Is it all airbrushed work? How did you do the chipped metal paint look? Also, did you prime it first? I'm assuming you take them apart before painting?

I HAVE to do this :)

I thought nerf guns werent on sale anymore, but that pistol with the barrel is. I have to pick that up tomorrow, thats awesome.

This is the one i have. It has a clear side on one side, and a solid blue plastic side on the other. Its kind of ugly but it shoots so fast and loud it's scary. :)

abo.thumb.jpg

Not a nerf gun but an old Supersoaker. I didn't want to troop with a nice blaster because kids always want to hold it. I converted the supersoaker to an E-11ish blaster using only the supersoaker and a travel toothbrush cover. :D

From this...

To this...

Absolutely great work Matt :).

Here's mine that I did a while back for one of the blaster contests way back when

nerfblaster2A.jpg

It's built on a nerf water gun and some old 70's audio cable.

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred

I remember that one, Fred and loved it.. I hope you fellas are planning to enter this year's contest. Deadline is the fourth of September.

Matt, I don't have a Nerf gun to show right now but, would a few water guns count?

Hot Dang. I'm in love... :love

* grabs car keys...be back in a few hours* :D

Originally posted by Jackie_Chan_Fan@Aug 13 2005, 11:48 PM
Check otu this one. :)

0065356905946_500X500.jpg

[snapback]1057163[/snapback]​

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'd really like to turn this into a lively discussion and exchange of techniques on painting "toy" guns.

Gig...Awesome.

Tom...It's the thought that counts...make wit' da snapshots.

Trent..You got "the eye" that certain special something that kitbashers possess that helps us see the custom blaster beneath garishly colored plastic and goofy add ons...well played.

Originally posted by Jacki_Chan_Fan
How did you paint those? Is it all airbrushed work? How did you do the chipped metal paint look? Also, did you prime it first? I'm assuming you take them apart before painting?

Sometimes I take them apart, not always.

After doing any sanding and filling I lay on a coat of black primer, inspect the finish, re-fill and sand and re-prime where nescesary..you may have to do this several times before you get to the point where you are satisfied with the "body work"

I use a combination of spray can and airbrush...whatever is needed...

For the chipped paint, I use a variety of silver, from rub'n buff to paint pens...it all depends on the level of weathering I want to emulate.

I use krylon ultra flat for the black, and krylon semi flat for the grips. I use Bondo brand black primer, for all my priming needs.

For gunmetal I use Testors buffing metalizer "gunmetal" (airbrush)

A lot of time I spray the spray can paint in a bottle (just enough for the job cuz it dries up so fast) and use it in the airbrush. Airbrushes atomize the paint to a much finer consistency...more so than normal spray cans.

To do the shading I use the primer thinned out a little to get the subtle weathering. If the paint is thin you won't put on too much and have to go back and cover mistakes with the green. But going back with the green can help you manipulate the effect even more.

Any more questions ask away.

Thanks .

Matt

Just picked up the Maverick myself..gonna try to make it look like i has Burlwood grips and a small barrel extension...BTW great thread and fantastic work guys.

Originally posted by Gigatron@Aug 14 2005, 07:06 AM
Absolutely great work Matt :).

Here's mine that I did a while back for one of the blaster contests way back when

nerfblaster2A.jpg

It's built on a nerf water gun and some old 70's audio cable.

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred
[snapback]1057272[/snapback]​
I picked up one of these a while ago at Target for $4.99.

I started working on it but haven't gotten to far.
Cut out the open areas on the top and sanded off the "O"s on the pump grip.

This thread has inspired me to pull it out and work on it some more. :D

Went to a couple more stores today looking for the combo kit. No Joy.... :(
Guess it's time to head up to Modesto to look around.

D6

Matt,

with the maverick did u take it abart to sand/paint it? Also what paint did u use I really like the paint job. Ended up getting mine today, it's been along while since I've had a nerf gun and I was playin with it all day.

Adam

T-U-T-O-R-I-A-L....

GREAT job. :thumbsup

I was only semi impressed unitl I saw what it looked like before you started. BRAVO.

thanks for letting us see it.

Originally posted by Matsuo@Aug 14 2005, 09:36 AM
Tom...It's the thought that counts...make wit' da snapshots.
Okay, here are a few quick, down 'n dirty, examples of what I had done with some el cheapo waterguns...

[ :: Click image for larger view :: ]

Currently, I am doing something a bit more radical with one of those Nerf guns and have a question. What is the fastest, most effective way to seal and smooth out wood without a lot of fine sanding?

Strange how when you see this guns in the store, unaltered, they don't look that great. But with a little work like Matt did, these turn out to be kick ass wall hangers.

Great work as always Matt. You may have inspired me to haul my water guns out of storage and finally do some work on them.

Oh, one more thing, now that summer is drawing to a close and school about to start, these and most other summer items should start getting marked down or delegated to the clearence shelves.

First, thanks for the compliments guys :).

Second, Tommin, how do you paint the small details on something like the red gun? do you mask them off before you spray or are they painted with a brush afterwards? If they're masked, what are you using to mask them?

Now a question to all others: When you want to fill in the screw holes but still take apart the blaster to paint it, what's the procedure? I would think that if you paint it while it's apart, then filling the holes after it's reassembled would be a pain because you'd have to go back and paint over all the holes (especially if you're using bondo to fill them).

What's a decent airbrush enamel paint to work with that doesn't require thinning down (I really don't feel like having to measure ratios of paint and thinner)? Right now, I shoot acrylics and they clean up fairly easily, so what would I need for enamels?

Thanks,
Fred

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back