Testor's Grey Primer not drying

blakeh1

Sr Member
I normally use GW Chaos Black or Skull White primer, but recently I tried testor's grey primer because color wise it was the exact color I was looking for to base something, and I figured I could just prime it then start weathering it.

The problem is weeks after it was primed it still feels tacky. Is this stuff ever going to dry?

I tried later warming up the can and making sure it was not humid and sprayed a test piece, and it still has the same problem. is this an issue with that primer, or do I just have a bum mix?

Can I spray something like dull coat over it to maybe take away the tackiness?

Is it possible to strip it without ruining the model (styrene)

Any chance you were using latex gloves to handle the parts prior to painting? Ive had this happen to me with testors... Some paints and silicones react badly to latex causing them not to cure properly. Thats the only thing i can think of.

Yes, or possibly your "prep" of the model?Did you wash/clean the kit thoroughly before sandling&assembly?They use very strong release agents in injection molds that stick to the plastic surface and that can possibly give your problems,but also yes..."latex" can and has done some very odd things.I've never heard of it coming from glove contact,but you never know?If you sprayed a particularly heavy coat that can also cause problems and/or if it is still *cold*.Enamels can take quite a long time to cure and temperature wise... if it is still really cold where you are and you have heavy coats/applications of primer you might have "painted yourself in a corner"(pardon the pun.In the end...(if all else fails) you can/should be able to strip the paint from the kit.There are a number of different chemicles you can used to do this that I don't think will attack the plastic.

no gloves, I did wash the model

I guess maybe the temperature. I've used other testors stuff before (not the primer though) and never had a problem like this, they usually dry fully in a day or so

If its a temperature issue, the good thing to do (that you'd done already) is heat the can up in very warm water.I usually heated water up in a pot on the stove,something that goes up to maybe about 1/2 from the top of the can.Heat water up betol boiling...maybe a around 150 deg.Basically,it its hot,but you can still put your finger in it then its not too hot and SHAKE THE HELL OUT OF THE CAN.I give the can a good ,hard,5 min shaking before putting in water(let it sit in the water a good 5 min or so) and then shake the begeses out of it again while the paint is warmed up.This will ensure that the paint is well aggitated and the paint being warmed up will improve flow out of the nozzel.Prime when the temperature is at least 70 deg.(the warmer the better) and put on very lite,misting coats.You can always put on more,you don't want full coverage/saturation with one coat(not with primer at least)it will be too heavy/thick and let the coats dry a good 15-20 min between coats(sometimes a half hour).Depends how warm it is?If its in the 80's,then maybe about 10 min between coats.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back