British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help

RevMarx

I need to make something resembling a British admiral's hat from the Napoleonic era, for a LARP. Something like you would see in Pirates of the Caribbean. Historical accuracy is not a priority. I need to make it as easily and cheaply as possible, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any advice? Materials, pattern, anything? I've looked online for an instructable or tutorial for anything similar, but haven't found anything useful yet.

Much thanks.

Kristina beat me to it...
Yep, the Bicorn is basically a hat with a really big brim folded up on two sides. The tricorn, or what we know as "the pirate hat" is the same thing folded on three.

If you're lucky enough to find a ladies wide brim hat in your local thrift store, you have the best base to start from.

Thanks for the help. Once I had the proper name, it was a lot easier to find reference pics.

I ended up making my own out of chipboard and black cloth. Here are a couple of pics. I will be posting more pics and a build log of the project (including other costume pieces that go with it) on my web site very soon.

100_0483.jpg

100_0652.jpg

100_0670.jpg

100_0676.jpg

100_0691b.jpg

I think it turned out as well as I could have hoped for my first attempt at such a thing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back