1/72 Black Pearl kit from Zvezda

I do... And am hoping.

But I'm not the only one with the sentiment of "I'll believe it when I see it..."

Yeah, exactly. Why never a 1/700 (say) Blockade Runner or 1/144 Jawa Crawler? Why did we have to wait three years for the sequel to come out before a distinctly disappointing STAR DESTROYER was considered a saleable prospect? THE iconic ship of the first film and we got a barely-15-inch piece that resembled soap on a rope.

It's because kitmakers often used to be pretty badly risk-averse and out of touch with what customers wanted.

Someone over on Fine Scale said they saw the kit in a shop in St Petersburg Ru so it is being produced it is now just a matter of when it will hit other shores.

Do hope that's reliable info. If that's so, the worst case scenario is that kits will trickle out one way or another. I did feel it would be unlikely that Disney would have much chance of squashing sales in Russia herself. American trademark imperialism versus outright Russian lawlessness: which would win? My money's on the side which uses actual thugs rather than legal ones. :lol

my contact at local hobby shop said it might be tough for him to get this in - he's gonna try, but he told me if i could get one elsewhere, to do so.

just got one on ebay -- a couple people selling them from overseas. the current listing have about 7 or so left.

simply an fyi for those that REALLY wanted one of these and does not want to chance whether it will be released in the US or not.

the guy i got one from on ebay does not ship in original box (or rather, he does, but for a much higher postage rate)...but there is one ebayer who, for about $30 more, will send in original box.

if you go on ebay looking for one of these, search for "black pearl 1/72" to bring up both listings.

I just emailed Hobby Terra about model availability since they've been out for a few weeks.
They should have more in stock in a week or so.

glad to hear online hobby shop will carry them -- i imagine if i had waited, i would have paid less...any idea what they will be charging for these?

IIRC it was listed a couple weeks ago as $139. maybe a few dollars less.

I went to check on it one morning and it had a price then in the afternoon I was going to order one and the price was gone.

I emailed them about availability this morning and received a reply in less than an hour.
Kinda surprised me since it was 5am here (PST)

I do... And am hoping.

But I'm not the only one with the sentiment of "I'll believe it when I see it..."

Here you go

AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH POLAR LIGHTS! - POL878 1:350 scale Star Trek The Original Series U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Premiere Edition Model Kit

2j.jpg

Ted, can you vouch for the eBay sellers? Did yours arrive in decent condition/time, etc?

just ordered it last week -- as soon as it comes in, i'll let you know -- but the seller did have close to 100% positive feedback and someone else who ordered the Pearl back in June gave positive feedback.

I did not pay the additional money ($120 ?) to have it shipped in original box, which is just as well because, despite how lovely the box looks, I likely would have tossed it out eventually anyways.

Keeping my fingers crossed that mine arrives in good condition, and then that I have the patience to build it and rig it up with all those "strings." :)

well, then their price isn't much different from those on ebay -- but I will report back and let you know if mine arrived intact and is what it claims to be.

Model just arrived in perfect condition.

Impressive box 25"x18.75"x3.5" with carry handle.
Inside parts are tightly wrapped into a 18"x12.5" area to keep parts from shifting around during shipping from the Ukraine.
Nice crisp parts, no flash
Looks like #35 in production.
Does have CR Disney and has the web address, even has Bruckheimer's logo.:lol

Instructions in Russian and English.
Says 2 versions but it's basically gun ports open or closed.

Lower hull is 15", Overall hull looks like it will be 19"+ not including the bowsprit spar so probably close to 24" when competed as guessed.
Main deck is 3.75" wide, lower deck 4" wide.
Guns are 7 parts not including the styrene block and tackle that is another 3 parts.
Lot's of rigging line, 3 of the tan, 2 different blacks and a piece of thick white.

Looks like the mizzen deck may need some added detail for first film version.

Calico Jack Pyrate flag is paper but you could easily make your own decal version if so desired.

Since the aft windows are clear if you really wanted to you could build the inside details, the decking goes all the way back.
If nothing else a flickering light inside would be cool and the aft deck lights are clear and look large enough to possibly light.

ah, you beat me...still waiting on mine. Hopefully it will come soon. this kit is likely gonna take me a while to finish.

Mine should be here any day... Found a blog with a series (in Japanese) on building this kit - Interesting stuff! My question is, shouldn't all of that rope be dyed black?

Blog

Links to previous posts are near the bottom...

Mark in Okianwa

On a real ship no that's why you get different colors.

However looking at pix of the pearl dock side it does appear that all the rigging is black but it's hard to tell, could just be registering the shadows.
Pix of the Dutchman and QAR show natural and black rigging.

edit.
going through screen caps natural is used it's just dirty.
So giving it a wash to darken it a bit should be fine.

Last edited:
for those building this, any advice on how to paint the main hull to make it appear weathered? a base coat of cream/yellow covered with black and then sanded a bit with steel wool to reveal base coat? or black and then lightly apply wash of lighter color for weathered effect?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back