1/72 Black Pearl kit from Zvezda

wow, really? yeah, your previous post was a bit cryptic...how do you know it has been canceled?? If so, that stinks -- I was REALLY looking forward to this.

Spoke to our distributor here in Australia and he said there was a problem with using the Black Pearl name so it is going to be called "The Pirate Ship" and should be released around the end of September.

Last edited:
Thanks, Muzza. I wasn't sure if we could talk about the source etc.

Yeah, apparently the Mouse is not happy and Zvezda may even be retooling the model to be less Black-Pearl-ish. So, no nice Black Pearl box art, no movie references in any of the packaging, instructions etc...and far smaller sales. Some of the people who would have bought it as the Black Pearl will turn their noses up at a generic pirate ship kit, even if isn't too hard to convert back into the BP.

And that's assuming it doesn't get squashed completely. My concern is will changing the name and a couple of sprues be enough?

If the Mouse wants more money, they're not going to leave it at that...

gee, that stinks. i am curious how a project like this gets so far down the road without having these basic questions addressed (i.e. how much Disney gets, whether it is Disney approved, etc.) seems odd to me that they would showcase a model like this at a trade show (or wherever it was shown) without having had all the licensing issues already buttoned up.

oh well, I have a wooden version that was licensed -- not 100% accurate, but does the trick for me...I also have the ceramic version with figures (Bradford??)....but would have LOVED having this model.

t

According to Zvezda's site, they had worked closely with Disney on every aspect of the project. According to rumour, a dispute has now arisen in which Disney is the party seeking to vary the terms of the license, in some manner possibly involving money.

It would be irresponsible to speculate as to the cause of this dispute...so I will now proceed to speculate irresponsibly. :p

Were pre-orders spectacularly bigger than expected?

well, regardless of how it shakes out, stinky news....but thanks for sharing, so at least i'm not bugging my local hobby shop to order something for me that doesn't even exist. should it be released without Pearl name, i would still buy it provided it did not need major modifications to make it "Pearl" accurate.

Our sorce here in Australia has told me that you will still be able to build the Pearl and two other ships with the sprues supplied, Just cant remember the names of them. As far as our guy knows we will be getting in the box the same ship they had at Nuremburg plus some extra sprues to build the other ships.

So, let me see if I've got this straight. As far as we know at this point, around the end of September (at the earliest, I assume) Zvezda should be releasing a kit called The Pirate Ship with sprues to build one of three ships, one of which may or may not actually be The Black Pearl. Correct? :confused

If we are very very lucky, then yes. If the Mouse decides that (name or no name, extra sprues or not) this is an infringement, then no.

There is nothing about this on the Zvezda site as yet, obviously. Perhaps it's all Chinese Whispers, perhaps it's brinkmanship on one or both party's parts, perhaps it will all blow over.

My fingers are crossed for the latter, but if new tooling is really in the works then that's a huge FU to the Mouse. I just hope Disney doesn't go for the thermonuclear option.

Wow, that lets you go all the way up to inputting CC details without telling you it's not available yet. Bad form!!

Reputable? Not with behaviour like that.

Damn...knew it was too good to be true. Sorry all, false alarm.

EDIT: Was half way through typing them an email that somehow didn't sound like "are you lying about the products on your page."

Why does it seem like all the best (proposed) kits are to good to be true...?

1:350 TOS Enterprise, anybody...?
I can't really tell from this post, but you do know Round 2 has moved forward with their plans and that two versions of the 1:350 TOS Enterprise are in production as we speak, don't you?

Someone over on Fine Scale said they saw the kit in a shop in St Petersburg Ru so it is being produced it is now just a matter of when it will hit other shores.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back