ANH/ESB Stormtrooper - Discussion Thread

Sskunky , if you havce a piece,, what colour do you match it to?

of cause matching from computer images isnt ideal , how ever those of us, who do have axcess, to the real stunts tend not to feel the need to drop some colour choices on us lesser folk ,,

Im sure the the good chaps in RS have a colour chart handy , it will take 5 mins ,:love
hook it up !

Any posiblities the tips on the freshly painted helmets are actualy Hovi tips turned the other way,,
if you look at the opened up tips on the EFX hero pics(which seem to be the real thin) you see that they could be a match if turned?
I know some people think that the real ones are metal but is there actually any proof to that?

Last edited:
Hi,

I had always pesumed the mic tips on the freshly painted helmets in Ainsworths pics are just the hovi mix type masked off with tape when he sprayed them. If you look at the ends of the top middle helmet you will see what I mean.

Could be wrong though.

Also I agree with Gino 100% no metal in ANH and ESB. Some screen helmets had original found parts others had resin copies.

I also presume that the fact the Hero helmet eFX are copying has real parts is no fluke. I would think real parts would have been used on all Hero lids.

Chris

I though that they were taped of at first to but that doesnt make sens as there is paint under them so there for were painted white b4 they were attached,, also what ever is on them couldnt be taped of tips as they are all exactly the same

Gino ,you say no to the first question but do you know what they are or is it a general observation ,
either way I now think you are right as they dont look right to be that,
Ive always thought they were plastic not metal as all the pics there always whit showing through

Also credit to the ownwers of the pics posted abouve as I didnt ask to post them so if it is a problem Ill remove them

I though that they were taped of at first to but that doesnt make sens as there is paint under them so there for were painted white b4 they were attached,, also what ever is on them couldnt be taped of tips as they are all exactly the same

I agree it doesn't make any sense to put anything in the space the mic tip occupies whilst painting - but Ainsworth apparently did - or these things were added after the painting. Believe me I have thought about this before when looking at those pics.

The only thing I can think is Ainsworth assembled the helmets with the mic tips in place to test fit them then realised his mistake and couldn't be bothered taking them all off again and quickly masked them. I would think the paint ran in behind the tips.

Either way I don't have pics good enough to say anything about what is in the mic tip area. I would think it was the original hovi mix type though. Wouldn't make sense to put theses things in then take them out and add something else.

Cheers Chris

Just whilst we are debating ANH / ESB trooper helmets it is obvious from the Ainsworth pics the helmets in the street have been sprayed then the ear caps added. The screws holding the ear caps are not painted so it looks like the ears were added later on. There are even fully sprayed helmet on show with no ear caps.

The sandtrooper helmets 'move along' and 'stop that ship' are not painted underneath the ear caps? I can only presume they were spray painted with their ear caps on.

This would make me think the sandtroopers and stormtroopers were painted with different methods.

Chris

One helmet on the tantive still actually has a set of those weird tips.
Every background ANH/ESB helmet I've ever seen has been painted white with the ears already assembled (unpainted underneath the ears).

Every background ANH/ESB helmet I've ever seen has been painted white with the ears already assembled (unpainted underneath the ears).

So do you think the helmets pictured in the pile outside AA Shepperton got another coat of paint? The screws holding the ear caps are all clearly unpainted (or possibly never took the paint). There is a photo looking from the other side of the pile and they are all the same as well.

There are at least two helmets in that pile without ear caps and fully painted - I know that isn't what has been seen on the found trooper helmets but just wondered with that pile with unpainted screws if they differed from the other trooper lids we have seen.

Even though Ainsworth is a total ******* **** I was always disappointed he never sold high quality copies of his pre production photographs. He has sold everything else claiming it to be his own and yet the one thing that is his he has never taken advantage of.

Cheers Chris

Good point about the paint being behind the ears there is also the prop store ANH helmet that hasnt got ears but it does have the paint under were the ears wouldve been ,

One helmet on the tantive still actually has a set of those weird tips.

The trooper that walks behind Vader in the coridoor? also one seems to have white mix tips

Last edited:
Yup just what I said. It has bugged me for ages that the screws appear unpainted in these pics. It would mean the helmets 'in this batch' were painted then ear caps added - which goes against what we have seen on every found screen helmet.

Cheers Chris

Are we sure the ones pictured in that pic are the painted HDPE helmets? I only say as there are plenty of armour pieces shown and we all know they were made of ABS. At least 26-7 helmets are ABS.
That would explain the screws having not been painted yet.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back