ANH/ESB Stormtrooper - Discussion Thread

I would do, just a little bit of powder of the plastic, after sanding 0.5mm of 1cm lenght of the lower trim on the neck would be enough for analysis :)

If you want to know what plastic was used, who cares about colour, colour can be matched with colour charts. But that's it, all guesses.

BTW, Rob told me he will look into a colour chart match :thumbsup

Yes but have the right of both makes for a better replica,
and thats what its all about , making it to the actual specs used for the orig

so after reading all of this. what you guys want to do is match the plastic and color used on Si-Man's helmets and possibly other ones...

mmm. i can dig that....but why go that far....most people would just prefer the perfect looking helmet and besides the color detail and plastic detail becomes irrelevant when buried under modern paint.. you can dig up the plastic and color all you want but if you use modern paint you are defeating the purpose of what you are trying to achieve....

and if you want to push the issue that far, why not try to dig out the white that was used to paint the helmets...

its like you have the ability reproduce the mona lisa painting pixel per pixel like leonardo painted it but want to use the same kind of paint he did like over 500 years ago...you are gonna have a hard time doing that...

do you really want to go that hardcore? out of a possible 100 buyer of a possible kit...who would care about that detail....really....

not to shot anyone's dream but i have said somewhere before you can't reproduce the past, just emulate it...

if you want to reproduce the past you will be sorely disappointed at some point...we are not in 1976-1977 anymore....

:)

Couldn't disagree more budspencer! :confused I think you are on the wrong forum...

This forum is about prop replication. I don't see what is wrong with striving for perfection. Especially when one of our own owns an original, which gives us the opportunity to create the best replica ever.

if you want to reproduce the past you will be sorely disappointed at some point.

This entire forum is based on reproducing the past! :lol If we go with your argument the forum would ceast to exist! We should rename it the Replica Disappointment Forum!

JoeR

Last edited:
From my point of view, you're getting it wrong. We have the ability to reproduce the mona lisa pixel per pixel, and we want to do it on a canvas as he did, not on a photografic gloss paper.

its like you have the ability reproduce the mona lisa painting pixel per pixel like leonardo painted it but want to use the same kind of paint he did like over 500 years ago...you are gonna have a hard time doing that...

so after reading all of this. what you guys want to do is match the plastic and color used on Si-Man's helmets and possibly other ones...

mmm. i can dig that....but why go that far....most people would just prefer the perfect looking helmet and besides the color detail and plastic detail becomes irrelevant when buried under modern paint.. you can dig up the plastic and color all you want but if you use modern paint you are defeating the purpose of what you are trying to achieve....

and if you want to push the issue that far, why not try to dig out the white that was used to paint the helmets...

do you really want to go that hardcore? out of a possible 100 buyer of a possible kit...who would care about that detail....really....

not to shot anyone's dream but i have said somewhere before you can't reproduce the past, just emulate it...

if you want to reproduce the past you will be sorely disappointed at some point...we are not in 1976-1977 anymore....

:)

Ok,

To me this is the whole problem with this hibby now.
There are too many people creating cheap knock off recast rubbish that newbs accept as accurate replicas.
We as a community used to strive to get the most accurate to screen used as we could. That means finding the correct materials, paints and glues etc as was used many years ago to create the prop we are trying to replicate.
If you want a prop just to look like something similar to what was made years ago then that's fine. But don't knock us accuracy nuts that want to go a stage further.
That's why screen accurate props cost money.

All this half baked stuff is readily available and new hobbyists seem to think they should have to pay pittance to get the good stuff because of it. It lessens the value of what in my mind is truly worth the effort.

Last edited:
Ok,

To me this is the whole problem with this hibby now.
There are too many people creating cheap knock off recast rubbish that newbs accept as accurate replicas.
We as a community used to strive to get the most accurate to screen used as we could. That means finding the correct materials, paints and glues etc as was used many years ago to create the prop we are trying to replicate.
If you want a prop just to look like something similar to what was made years ago then that's fine. But don't knock us accuracy nuts that want to go a stage further.
That's why screen accurate props cost money.

All this half baked stuff is readily available and new hobbyists seem to think they should have to pay pittance to get the good stuff because of it. It lessens the value of what in my mind is truly worth the effort.

Exactly!!!

Budspencer,
I understand what you are saying but it really shows you are missing the point
we who want to creat replicas (and when I say replica I mean an actual faximily of the prop) to the best of our abillity,
Youl find many of us spend many long hours days weeks months years even looing for the correct paint , finding that one bottel of vintage floquil at a flee market or at an auction pf a decesed estate of an old model train buff, ore that one 6.3V 43uf tantium capacitor that hasnt been in production for 25 years.
And saying that the colour of the plastic is hidden under paint is very wrong,
the ANH troopers (Heros exempt) have many pieces of the plasitc showing through chips in the paint , and some of us like to replicate a know helmet as it appers today with even more of the paint chipped of ,
I think the words replica is to widly thrown around and truth be told Ivw only seen a hand full of fan created S W pieces that qualify as a replica.

To emulate my point this is the only Boba Fett helmet that can claim the title of replica , due to the fact that it has had all the pieces replicated all the same paints were usedthe same mounting hardwear and the paintwork it self has been maticulasly recreated
(Image is of Single Seats ROTJFett helmet replica if the owner of the image would prefer it be removed I shall do so )
This is the kind of perfection we strive for so to say your comments really show a lack of understanding of our intentions.

Attachments

• SS JEDI REPLICA2.jpg
    SS JEDI REPLICA2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Fett_Jedi_interior.jpg
    Fett_Jedi_interior.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
When you talk about about a hand full number of SW replicas, I think you mean helmets. There are a lot more SW replicas IMO here.

And about the SS's helmet, that's not a replica but THE replica.

I get your points guys, i understand what you are trying to achieve and i aplaud you for that, heck even myself you have loved nothing more to reproduce the "move along helmet " in all its intricate details.

Everybody here would love to have an original from the movie i am sure of that. But at some point you have to come to the conclusion that you can t reproduce the past...

i ll give you an example...

if you want to go insane on this:

you would travel to the original sheperton studios and get in the shop, set up the vacu form the very same way it was back then and then you would need to ask Andrew Answorth to pull the pieces on the machine. Then ask him to assemble it or have of his crew back then to assemble and paint the helmet, with the exact same brushes and tools back in 1976...plus you would need the exact same plastic from back then not some veri-similitude one plus all the toxic paints from back then...then you would need to find foam and strap made that year...to put in the helmet and that is not discounting how the lens was made or assembled.

Is is possible to achieve the very same look with painstaking work and attention to details...heck i am finishing my first helmet and i can say that i am pretty happy with the results but i cannot claim that it is a "real deal" star wars stromtrooper in the sense of the word because it is not. It is a nice replica...not much more.

I don't think Si-Man would go to as far as trying to create 1976 again as it would be an undertaking that would be too great and too costly for him and the fans could not afford it.

and to add butter on the popcorn no one is even sure where those damn hovi mix mic tip came from in the first place. all we have is some nice resin cast which seems to be the case for some helmet while some helmet had the real deal....so again you will lose at your attempt at creating a genuine piece of history...

it cannot be done..it can only be faked and you will always know it is a fake....

but as i said there is some merit in attention to details but not when you try to convince people that you can magically re-create what was seemingly out of thin air....

if we would be able to do so the world would be a very different place than what it is right now...

but like i said kudos for those who are willing to go the extra miles on this one...i raise my hat to them...

No offense but you haven't been here long have you.

Also no I wouldn't get AA to do any of the process for me. He's hopeless.

Here is my opinion, if I'm after a top of the line replica of a prop that I really have a passion for then every step I can take to get closer to 100% accurate is desirable and welcome...

Yeah there will be originals and there will be copies that will never be 100% authentic, but that doesn't mean they can't be near exact copies in nearly every detail...

White ABS or Styrene = passable
Khaki HDPE = one step closer
Vintage period correct sheet of Khaki plastic found in the corner of a UK supply house = another step closer

Budspencer,
Did you not read my post, those of us who want to replicat will use the same paint, will find some foan from the 70s and when certin parts cant not be obtained (and in the 30 years since the being built some parts cant be found but we try) we do our best to recreat them some go as far as using the same tooling methods used in that time,
And when you say its a fake, the point yyou are missing here is we arnt trying to sell them of as the real thing , 'we do it in an attempt to replicate it to our best ability ,down to the smallest detail, Ive spend the last 5 months camped on ebay looking for 2 vintage resistors , and I finally found them ,after hours apon hours of trawling tthe internet ,
these are the extents we will go , 'some people dont need to go to that extreme and thats fine we all do it differently,

The word replica means ,
an exact copy or reproduction, and this is the replica prop forum

Here you can find people who has found the koolshade made in the 70's (the grid used for the TIE wings), people who buy flash guns from the 50's, Fett collectors who buy transistors from the 70's and you think we can't found the plastic used in the 70's?. And be sure we can recreate the past, that why people do movies like Public Enemies.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back