ANH/ESB Stormtrooper - Discussion Thread

HDPE and PP are really close to each other to the touch and feel so it could be either. I don't think AA used different plastic offcuts and stuff. I just think his work was that sloppy that some pulls were great and others not so.As for his recollection of what he used I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. The guy is a compulsive liar.

As for painting HDPE, you could use priemers like Tamiya spray paint primer , the sprays are a synthetic laqure that bonds well with most products and doesnt get effected by painting over them with acrylicsor enamels

Also it seems the originals had a light spray of red lead which was a common primer upuntil the mid 80s , id say its more than probable that is what was used on the originals in fact its the only logical reason there is red showing through some of the chips and in the over spray on the interiors

Thats right mate and any one who knows paint know that up until the mid 80s any red primer was Red Lead (as in the metal),
So Im saying that the primer used was red lead primer ,
any painter/ signwriter (Which I am both) can tell you this

That colour was standard colour for ponds in the UK in the 70's. I can remember seeing loads of beige/green ponds standing in garden centres ready for use back then.

The red primer, would that also be known as red oxide? or is that something completely different? I'm a car guy and thought that it might be the same stuff trad hot rod and rat rod guys (amongst others) use.

Cheers,

Kraig

Red lead oxide was the name of the lead powder that went in to make the primer you can still get red oxide powder and timters these days but they dont contain the lead any more

That colour was standard colour for ponds in the UK in the 70's. I can remember seeing loads of beige/green ponds standing in garden centres ready for use back then.

And you can still find a lot of them. But seriously, IIRC HDPE is not a vacuumforming plastic so, why would he have HDPE at his shop? If he was a vacuumforming professional he would have bought a better plastic for the ponds, no reason to get HDPE IMO.

But seriously, IIRC HDPE is not a vacuumforming plastic so, why would he have HDPE at his shop? If he was a vacuumforming professional he would have bought a better plastic for the ponds, no reason to get HDPE IMO.

HDPE most definitely is a vac forming plastic. It is also commonly used as an injection and blow molding plastic as well, much like ABS (although their properties are drastically different).

HDPE is used for it's extremely high tear strength as well as it's non-adhesive properties (easy to clean).
Perfect for fish ponds etc..

Interesting points by everyone. Doesn't seem like this will be resolved any time soon.

From what Exoray was saying about plastic in the SiMan FS thread even the same plastic made today would have a different recipe/make up from the same plastic 30 years ago. Looks like it will be impossible to have a true replica unless the exact plastic and recipe from all those years ago can be found...

Joe

IMO, it's more important having the colour of the plastic matched than having the perfect plastic but in a red colour... I mean, I wish I could have the exact same plastic with the exact same colour, but it seems not to be possible so I would be very happy with HDPE or PP but being a match in colour.

The differences in modern thermoplastics vs. older ones are really not very different at all. Not anything that we would really take notice of in a side by side examination.
Most of the improvement of these materials has been in the area of UV resistance (so that the materials can be more weather and sunlight/UV resistant - less yellowing etc...)

I still think we are way off with an accurate replica.

At least with the SiMan we have all the details of an original intact and preserved like the original.

I look forward to more factual information from Simon and Rob with regards to the actual material the original helmet is made from.

Anyway great to question some of the urban myths about stormtroopers...

Joe

I've asked Rob if he could match the colours with a colour chart so we have better reference. I wish to get an answer soon.

Stupid question, isn't the difference of shade for the HDPE due to the side used?

I know that nowaday, some plastics (like ABS) doesn't really have the same color on each side. Maybe that it was the same for the original plastic used (pure supposition).

I remember guys talking about PP (Troopermaster and JoeR).

Actually, "grey" PP seems to be more easy to find (in comparison with gloss HIPS)

I know it exist in "pinseal" or "haircell" finish but only at a thickness which start at 3mm (I'm really curious about the thickness of the original helmets!)

dscn2666j.jpg

dscn2667.jpg

The differences in modern thermoplastics vs. older ones are really not very different at all. Not anything that we would really take notice of in a side by side examination.
Most of the improvement of these materials has been in the area of UV resistance (so that the materials can be more weather and sunlight/UV resistant - less yellowing etc...)

Very true side by side no one would likely notice the differences, as you said they mostly revolve around UV stabilizers and small impact/tear resistant additives... These differences vary by manufacture as well...

But seriously, IIRC HDPE is not a vacuumforming plastic so, why would he have HDPE at his shop?

HDPE is still a very common forming plastic for 'fish ponds' as well as kiddie pools...

Stupid question, isn't the difference of shade for the HDPE due to the side used?

I know that nowaday, some plastics (like ABS) doesn't really have the same color on each side. Maybe that it was the same for the original plastic used (pure supposition).

Thats a good point,,

And I also think it would be more a draw card having the right colour as apossed to the right material, how ever if we could find the right plastic in the right colour (regardless of chemical make up modern to vintage) it would be very much the helmet to have,

Is it really that hard to get a chemical enalisist on the material of the helmet?
Shave off 1mil under the overlap , commit a crime leave the plastic sliver and and get CSI in there and th-- no thats not going to happen is it ,
but is it realy that hard to send it a few micros off to the CSIRO

Is it really that hard to get a chemical enalisist on the material of the helmet?

HDPE melts at ~ 120 to 130 °C (248 to 266 °F)
PP melts at ~ 130–171 °C (266–340 °F)

In theory a controlled low temp rise melt on a small piece in a bath of oil, should shed some light...

In general one could assume most HDPE formulas will melt at about 250° while most PP formulas would melt at about °300...

Just a matter of getting someone to cut a sliver off a $$$ piece of history just because...

LDPE and MDPE even have lower melting points...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back