Scratch-built Proton Pack

sswift

Hey guys...

Thought you'd like to see the build of my Proton Pack.

I began this pack in September 2008, and, after working on it on and off for about a year, finally completed it in October 2009.

The plan started out simple enough. After discovering a female friend was a huge Ghostbusters fan, I decided that for Halloween I would purchase a surplus flight suit, some boots, and build a proton pack out of foam and whatever parts were cheap and easily available. I figured I'd need to budget around $250 for the whole getup.

So, with that in mind, I hit up the local hardware, craft, and surplus stores, and gathered up any junk I had laying around that I thought might come in handy:

pack-1.jpg

It wasn't long however before I decided that I could do better than some house insulation foam and cardboad covered in Mod-Podge, with random bits glued onto it. Surely it would be just as easy to cut five pieces of MDF and bolt them together to make the cyclotron and spacer... right?

So, that's what I did.

And after carefully transferring the measurements from the best available plans to the MDF, I began to cut out the first piece with a jigsaw... whereupon I discovered that the little cotton facemask I'd picked up at Walmart wasn't up to the task of keeping out all the dust the MDF was generating. So, I purchased a respirator:

pack-4.jpg

From there the work went relatively smoothly, and after several days of cutting and sanding I'd finished the spacer and cyclotron:

pack-5.jpg

pack-6.jpg

pack-7.jpg

I say relatively smoothly, because cutting holes in an aluminum cake pan with one of those cheap hole saws where you can select the size is a real pain in the ass. I ended up having to purchase a grinding bit to remove all the jagged metal left behind, and was dismayed when the aluminum quickly chewed through the bit until it there was nothing left. Thankfully, the grinding bit lasted just long enough to get the job done, and with a little super-glue and some washers, my cyclotron was complete.

[To be continued...]

Addendum:

You may have noticed in the last image that I primed everything before filling or sanding. I did this because at the time I didn't have a lot of experience painting and I wanted to see what parts I would need to sand and fill, and where the primer would take care of filling the gaps. Also, at this point I wasn't sure if I was going to use wood filler or bondo.

I did end up using wood filler though. I tried a lot of different brands from Home Depot and Lowes, but they were all of a paste like consistency, and didn't spread on as smoothly as I'd like. I then gave Bondo a try, but that had a number of drawbacks, including fumes, the need to mix small batches so you can spread it all in the five minute work time, the need to wear gloves, and the destruction of any tools like spatulas which you use to spread it.

I finally found what I was looking for though at True Value. I think they sell the stuff at Ace too. It's called Zar wood putty, and it's some kind of latex infused product that spreads on smooth like peanut butter, dries rapidly, and can then be sanded. I can't reccomend it highly enough.

Last edited:
Re: Scratch-built Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Oh this is great! Always wanted to see how one of these built. Might have a go a building one myself. Thanks for posting the pics so far...

Looks like its coming along nicely. I was going to build one of these over the summer but don't really have the time unfortunately. I see your using Stefan Otto's Prop Plans good choice if your going for a screen accurate build.

Great idea to use the cake pan! I'm actually getting started on a Proton Pack build myself. Was going to do it all out of styrene but if I can find a similar pan, I know I'll use it!
Can't wait to see more of it, looks good!

Great idea to use the cake pan! I'm actually getting started on a Proton Pack build myself. Was going to do it all out of styrene but if I can find a similar pan, I know I'll use it!
Can't wait to see more of it, looks good!

The cake pan is, I believe, a 9" Wilton aluminum cake pan. I bought mine at Walmart. I think they still sell them. They're advertised as 2" deep, but with the lip are between 2.5"-3" deep, so to get the proper height of 2", you have do do what I've done here and slip the ring over it, then set the lip into the surface of the spacer. This is the only cake pan I know of which has the correct 1/4" bevel around the edge and vertical sides.

This next pic is of the board which was supposed to animate the lights on my pack, and it was my first attempt at building an electronic circuit:

pack-8.jpg

This circuit was based on a widely available schematic which had incandescent bulbs in place of the LEDs. With a little help from an accuaintance who knows a bit more about electronics than myself, the circuit was modified to use LEDs and transistors with built in resistors.

Unfortunately, this board never worked properly. I'm still not really sure why. I never did go back to diagnose the problem. If I were to design this circuit today though it would be a lot simpler than what I have here. There's no need for all those transistors with modern high-current shift registers and microcontrollers.

So after deciding to make the cyclotron out of MDF, I had to choose what material I was going to make the rest of the pack out of.

I could have used posterboard, but they only make it in one thickness and that wouldn't really have given me the level of accuracy I wanted. Styrene was out as well, as it would be expensive, and it also didn't really come in the thicknesses I needed. And while MDF came in a couple thicknesses and was pretty cheap, I didn't cherish the thought of having to cut all those little parts out.

So what was left? Balsa I remembered came in several different sizes, but did I want to build a whole pack from it? Balsa is an incredibly weak material. I knew I'd have issues with boards splintering when cut, snapping if I failed to reinforce them properly, and denting should anyone bump into it.

I was kind of out of options though, so I went to the craft store to check out the Balsa, and was delighted to discover an alternative.

Basswood, it turns out, also comes in many shapes and sizes... but is much stronger than Balsa. It is just soft enough that it is cut easily with a hand saw, but hard enough that even at 1/8" thickness it is difficult to snap along the grain. Using individual sheets of basswood would be more expensive than cutting everyhting out of a single sheet of MDF, but it would save me a ton of time as I would only need to take half as many measurements and make half as many cuts because it came in a variety of precut widths and thicknesses.

Here, you can see the first box I built for the thrower:

pack-10.jpg

pack-11.jpg

pack-12.jpg

pack-13.jpg

pack-14.jpg

I've used 1/4" basswood here, which was a mistake. I used 1/8" for everything else, and for various reasons eventually rebuilt the thrower body in 1/8" as well.

These next two images are of the heat sink for the thrower. You can see how I've constructed it in such a way that the narrow fins would be spaced evenly, held straight, and sturdy:

pack-15.jpg

pack-16.jpg

And here are of the crank generator and power cell. You can see here how I've glued together several pieces of basswood side by side so as to reduce the number of cuts I would need to make. Surprsingly, gluing the sheets like this worked quite well, and the seams were not prone to breakage.

pack-17.jpg

pack-18.jpg

pack-19.jpg

pack-20.jpg

Last edited:

Now you can see it all starting to come together...

pack-21.jpg

And after some more work, and a ton of sanding, those ugly corners are now nicely rounded, and it's looking a lot more like the real deal.

pack-22.jpg

pack-23.jpg

These brass fittings were machined by someone else, but when I got them they looked shiny and new. Since I wanted my pack to look well used, I decided to weather them by heating them over an open flame, which darkened the brass and added a bit of soot.

pack-24.jpg

So, remember how I originally said I worked on the pack over a year?

Well, after all that work, this is what I ended up wearing that first Halloween:

pack-25.jpg

I'd badly misjudged how much time it would be to build a movie-accurate pack from scratch, so I threw this together in a couple days.

I first cut a temporary motherboard out of MDF, and then I spraypainted a bunch of electrical boxes, a computer speaker, and a star wars blaster, and quickly running out of time, mounted those to the MDF with Gorilla tape, which held up surprisingly well. As for the cyclotron, I mounted that to the MDF with metal brackets on the bottom, and one bolt at the top.

The N-Filter at the bottom is a pringles can with some white paint where the holes should be. The bumper is made from the rubber insulation that surrounded the ribbon cable, with a coathanger inside to keep it in the right shape. The ribbon cable clamp is a spare piece of plastic, painted silver, which I'd cut off the welding goggles I used to make my ecto goggles. And the Clippard valve is a dowel wrapped in electrical tape, with a silver knob on top, and a garden hose clamp around the bottom.

This pack also featured light and sound.

For the Star Wars blaster I drilled a hole in the front, which I inserted a bit of clear plastic tube into, and then into that I placed a mini Mag flashlight. And for the pack, I purchased four red flashing button safety lights, which I placed in the cyclotron, and inside the power cell, I placed a blue glow stick.

Finally, I purchased a set of PC speakers, which I dismantled, and wired them up to a 12v d-cell battery pack. The speakers I taped to the inside of the motherboard, while the controls were mounted through a hole in the back so I could access them. I then ran the line in jack outside the pack to my iPod which I could keep in my pocket and use to select different sounds and songs to play.

Last edited:

With winter fast approaching, I decided to put off any more work on the pack that year, but once spring rolled around, I got back to work.

My first order of business was to repaint the cyclotron with a glossy paint to see how it would look. I also painted the gearbox to see how the basswood would fare with a glossy coat.

Things did not go well...

pack-26.jpg

pack-27.jpg

pack-28.jpg

pack-29.jpg

As you can see, some kind of reaction occured with the paint, either due to the primer used, or the sunlight. But whatever it was caused the paint to form thousands of tiny little bubbles.

To fix this, I let the paint dry overnight, then sanded it, then hit it with my next experiment... Rustoleum Professional flat black.

Unfortunately this too went awry. Not only was it too flat, it had some sort of powedery flocking texture to it. So this I sanded down as well.

This time however, I wasn't too aggressive with the sandpaper, and sanded it down just enough to get rid of the flocking.

This was the result of that:

pack-30.jpg

And I was pretty happy with this look which I'd achieved by accident, but it wasn't screen accurate, and I didn't want to have to sand every part down after painting it.

So, after all that I decided to go with a flat black... but one not quite as flat as the professional stuff which I'd assumed was simply a higher quality paint.

This next pic is a closeup of the Ion Knob I made. I made this pretty early on in the pack build, but this is the best pic I have of it. It's just a stack of washers, with one glued on top, and some black paint carefully applied to weather it and highlight the grooves:

pack-31.jpg

And here is my trigger tip. This was made using a machined aluminum trigger, a machined brass fitting which I weathered like the others, and a resin collar, which I covered in aluminum tape:

pack-32.jpg

If I were to to it again, I would either purchase an aluminum collar, or paint it. The aluminum tape looked good, but left sticky residue on the tube when I slid the collar over it, and it didn't seem particularly durable. I was also unable to apply it to the inside of the collar due to the tight fit.

This here is the booster frame. Like everything else, I strove for screen accuracy, and the original prop used Dixon No. 2 pencils, and had the text facing up and visible through the paint, so mine would too! :D

pack-33.jpg

These next pics are of the new and improved thrower body. This is the one which I built to replace the one I made at the very start of the build which was built like a tank:

pack-34.jpg

pack-35.jpg

When building this second one, I decided that it would be better to bend the wood to make the curved portion than it would be to either attempt to sand it down, as was my original plan, or cut a section of PVC to fit there. So, I did the math, and figured out how wide a piece of wood I'd need, then I soaked it in a cup of boiling water for several minutes to make it soft, bent it around the thrower handle, and held it in place with rubber bands overnight while it dried and set in its new form.

Notice anything wrong with this next pic?

pack-36.jpg

That's my N-Filter, and once again, with Halloween again rapidly approaching, I was in a rush to get things done, and after taping the plans to the top of it so I could get the hole positions right, I forgot which set of lines represented holes, and which were the dashed outline of the edge, and well... Let's just say the real N-Filter doesn't have 36 holes around it and I felt really stupid after I got this done.

Only one more batch of photos after these!

So as I mentioned previously, Halloween was rapidly approaching once again. And to complicate matters, my female friend, who originally inspired me to build this, was also going to be in town, and I was desperately trying to finish it in time to show it off to her.

Unfortunately, it decided to rain that very weekend, and I had yet to paint. But paint I must! So, I laid a tarp down on the front porch, and primed that sucker:

pack-37.jpg

pack-38.jpg

pack-39.jpg

pack-40.jpg

pack-41.jpg

pack-42.jpg

pack-43.jpg

Then I proceeded to paint it. But once again I ran into a bit of trouble. All the rain was causing the paint to fog. Who'd have thought black paint could fog up?

pack-44.jpg

pack-45.jpg

pack-46.jpg

pack-47.jpg

I was determined to get this thing done though, and just kept laying down light coats wherever foggy patches appeared, until I eventually I got a decent result, which I figured I could touch up later if need be:

pack-48.jpg

pack-49.jpg

I ended up not having to do any additional touchup though, as once the paint dried indoors, the foggy patches that remained went away.

Finally, here is the finished pack:

pack-50.jpg

pack-51.jpg

pack-52.jpg

pack-53.jpg

pack-54.jpg

pack-55.jpg

pack-56.jpg

pack-57.jpg

Well, mostly finished. Sadly, I had to sell it shortly after I took these photos, and before I could mount the last few hoses and resistors, weather it, and fit it with a proper light kit.

But I plan to build another soon, I hope. Not from scratch mind you. That was fun, the first time. The next I'll build using fiberglass and resin parts, and it will be on commision for someone. I'll be posting a thread about that in the Junkyard sometime this week.

In the meantime, if you'd like to see more photos of the finished pack, or photos of my uniform you can find them here:
Ghostbusters Proton Pack and Uniform

And you can see a video here, on my youtube channel, which was taken by the fellow in Australia who purchased the pack, added the finishing touches, and installed a light kit:
YouTube - Proton Pack

Nice pack, that sucks you had to let it go. Wasn't the Ion Arm Assembly silver in the second movie?

Nice pack, that sucks you had to let it go. Wasn't the Ion Arm Assembly silver in the second movie?

The Ion Arm in all the films was made from aluminum, and painted black, with some bare metal visible around the edges due to weathering.

My Ion Arm is all black because I intended to emulate this look by first painting it and then scraping away some of the paint using a razor blade or sandpaper. But as I mentioned, I never got the chance to weather the pack.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back