Child's size Cyberman Costume

blf

After some wonderful instruction and help from Familyman (can't thank him enough) I started my first ever costume build. It's a Cyberman only child size.

I started with pictures and a few sketches (again, thanks FM) and kinda winged it for the chest and back pieces.

First I started with paper to create a pattern for the chest/back bits and then used camping mat foam. I couldn't find the anti-fatigue mat until recently.

I cut the circle for the emblem and then a smaller circle to inset it. The "C" was cut out along with the brackets and assembled.

It took some eye-balling and then measuring from the middle to get it about right.

Then I had the the "bracket" looking detail on the chest area drawn on paper and added to the foam, taping each section beneath the other to get the 3-D effect.

Duct tape holds the front and back together at the moment. Next I plan on doing the sides and back parts.

wish me luck!

Here's a few pictures (not sure why some are rotated 90 - they look OK when I attach them):

I have had the pleasure to be watching this build from day one, and it is going great. Keep it up, and I am glad I could help. ANything else you need please continue to email me and ask away.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :) I am pretty excited to see it coming together. I'll post more photos when I get another decent chunk together.

Sides are now attached....this was the hardest part.

Still worried about the helmet. I can't find one in the states.

Last edited:
I found Plasti-Dip! After 3 craft stores I got enough sense to google where it was sold. So Lowes has it here in the states.

Here are a few pics of the latest. I am still tinkering with the way it will be attches to my kid. For now I have sued velcro which helps me adjust it. The back obviously needs a coat of plasti-dip and them some paint.

nice job, email is on the way to you, with info for your next steps.
I have taught you well.
really great job, soon the apprentice will beocme the master.

Here are the pictures of the very base of the arms. And I am simply stumped on how to build them to the shoulder point and get the detailing as well. Anyone who would like to offer advice, I will gladly accept :D

I am just about to give up on this. I have tried three- four different arms and simply can't get them correct. Too many angles? Can't get the different layers. ARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Don't give up, make it more simple. The photos you have sent me show a really happy litte girl who is loving the costume Mummy is making for her. Make the arms simpler, heck just copy the basic shape and draw the lines on it, it will look just as good. Send me photos of the latest try and we can go from there.

Thanks. If you have other things to do, I understand. I'm just too frustrated at the moment and you've been so helpful and I am very grateful for that.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back