Supernatural 1967 Impala Conversion

I love the projects that people are working on recreating this great car. I want to do this eventually as well, but gotta get a shop built first.

I would sure love to be able to borrow/rent one of the replica cars that is at least semi close to me (Southeast New Mexico) for a weekend. Anyone have any helpful info for me?

Now here are my NEW spotlights that I tracked down for my car.....:cool

View attachment 102619

View attachment 102620

View attachment 102621

View attachment 102622

As you can see, this are a pretty damn close match to teh ones used on the original car......:love Yes, I have all the correct mounting hardware and I am hoping to get these on the car very soon......:)

:thumbsup

Mate, have you fitted these spotlights yet? Would love to see pics. Any dramas fitting them?

Have a favour to ask of you ... could you measure the thickness of the shaft, as well as the length?

I'm keen as to get spotlights for my Impala, but need to know what to look for. I know the correct product number to get them new direct from Unity, but at close to $250 each, I don't think I'll go that route. There' are plenty of older used units on eBay for much less. I just need to be sure of the shaft thickness and length are the same, that way I can grab a bargain on eBay then all I need to do is buy the correct '67 Impala mounting brackets from Unity.

Suppose I shouldn't be rude, and post pics of my '67.

Allow me to introduce AngeliCar:

(click for higher-res)

Mate, have you fitted these spotlights yet? Would love to see pics. Any dramas fitting them?

Have a favour to ask of you ... could you measure the thickness of the shaft, as well as the length?

I'm keen as to get spotlights for my Impala, but need to know what to look for. I know the correct product number to get them new direct from Unity, but at close to $250 each, I don't think I'll go that route. There' are plenty of older used units on eBay for much less. I just need to be sure of the shaft thickness and length are the same, that way I can grab a bargain on eBay then all I need to do is buy the correct '67 Impala mounting brackets from Unity.

Suppose I shouldn't be rude, and post pics of my '67.

Allow me to introduce AngeliCar:

(click for higher-res)

VERY NICE IMPALA.......:love

As for the spotlights, no I have not installed them yet. Truth be told, I probably will not install these spotlights untill I get ready to paint the car black........:sick God knows I am doing everything in my power to keep from installing these lights as I want them on the car so bad.....:$

No problem with giving you the info for you are looking for......:) The shafts on ALL the spotlights are all the same diameter the difference comes from the lenght of the shafts. The spotlights that Unity call for the Impala has a 6 inch shaft on them however mine has 6 1/2 inch shafts. My friend who has installed the CORRECT Unity lights said he actually would have liked an extra 1/2 inch so I feel pretty good about my find....:) My friend said he has close to a $1000 in his two lights as he bought everything straight from Unity. Remember the lights when ordered from Unity do NOT come with the mounting brackets (29 and 29L) that go on the A-Post nor do they come with the correct rubber handles......:eek Basically when buy EVERYTHING plus pay for shipping you are going to pay a ton of money for these lights if you buy them from Unity. I say go the Ebay or Craigslist route and you will save about $700.....:love

I did a little more work on the Impala this week..............:)

I finally installed the NEW variable rate rear springs and CORRECT antenna on the car. With the new rear springs the car has a nice little rake to it and now it doesn't sag in the ass when I fill up the gas tank....:love Anyone wanting to know what springs they should use on their cars should go to this link on Ebay............ Moog Chassis Parts Springs Rear Coil Cargo Control Chevy Bel Air Impala Biscayne 080066128672 | eBay

These springs get stiffer when more weight is applied to the rear of the car so this is really going to help when you add the weapons box (plus fill it up) and when you fill up your gas tank. Basically the car stays the same in the rear and won't sag any when running these springs......:cool

Here are some photos of my progress.......:$

015-4.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-3.jpg

Thanks for the info mate. Now I can get to hunting for them. :D

Was you friend Ben by any chance? (goes by bender 3455 on some forums).
I do know that he also bought his straight from unity. I tried contacting him over on ChevyTalk a while back about the dimensions but never heard back form him.

I love your car mate. Whilst it'll look frakkin' awesome once sprayed black, that blue looks stunning.

I do have a suggestion: Fit the spotlights now!.

It requires drilling, plus some under-dash work. Whilst it's not an overly difficult job, you'll benefit from doing the work before you paint. Once it's painted, you run the risk of doing damage to your fresh paint-job when you start drilling - or heaven forbid you get it wrong and drill in the wrong spot. That sort of thing can be fixed before paint. Why risk it?

I say fit them now that way all holes, mounting points and wiring is in place. When it comes time to paint, you simply undo a few screws and remove a couple pieces. Once it's painted you simply re-attach everything and you're good to go. Easy peasy!

No problem with the info buddy............:cool

Yeah, I am going to install the spotlights about a week prior to the car getting painted as I don't need to screw up freash paint.....:$

Yes, I know Ben and he is a friend of mine but this is NOT the friend I was talking about in my above post. I will probably be doing a post on my friend's Impala as it is looking like it has just rolled off the set of Supernatural...............:$

Hey guys -

So I'm in the process of looking for an Impala to do a conversion on (I have absolutely no mechanical background so it's going to be a lot less true to the Supernatural car than a lot of you are doing).

Right now I'm looking at a 1968 4 door hardtop that looks pretty much exactly like the correct body style (minus the awful paint job that I'll get fixed). The only real differences seem to be the hood that (not sure if I'm saying this correctly) kind of swoops down into the grill (where there's a Chevy Emblem) and the rear bumper where there are 3 red brake lights on either side as opposed to the two light bars on the car on the show.

I guess my question to you would be: is it going to be hard/expensive to swap those out? The rear lights I can deal with - but I *love* the grill on the Supernatural Impala.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm newly single and this is the first thing I'm going to do just for myself in quite some time. Very excited about it but I want to get it right the first time (if I can).

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys -

So I'm in the process of looking for an Impala to do a conversion on (I have absolutely no mechanical background so it's going to be a lot less true to the Supernatural car than a lot of you are doing).

Right now I'm looking at a 1968 4 door hardtop that looks pretty much exactly like the correct body style (minus the awful paint job that I'll get fixed). The only real differences seem to be the hood that (not sure if I'm saying this correctly) kind of swoops down into the grill (where there's a Chevy Emblem) and the rear bumper where there are 3 red brake lights on either side as opposed to the two light bars on the car on the show.

I guess my question to you would be: is it going to be hard/expensive to swap those out? The rear lights I can deal with - but I *love* the grill on the Supernatural Impala.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm newly single and this is the first thing I'm going to do just for myself in quite some time. Very excited about it but I want to get it right the first time (if I can).

Thanks in advance!
The front grill might be an issue. Everything is different on the front ends, the '68 has more of a straight hood, and the marker lights are a lot smaller and more of the fender comes out on top. So in order to do a conversion you'd have to end up trimming your front fenders to make room for the '67 marker lights, and then you'd have to find a way to make the body lines on the fender to match up with the lines on the hood, not sure if a '67 hood would fit on a '68 or not, I'm thinkin probably not. That's the 2 biggest things I can think of off the top of my head but as with anything like this, there's always a mountain of little pain in the ***** problems that pop up...But then again, I could be completely wrong and it might be easy, I was wrong once before lol :p

I'd say it'd probably turn out to be more hassle than it's worth, I think you'd be better off just holding out for a '67 Impala or a '67 Caprice, less work and I think you'd be a lot happier in the end.

I'd say it'd probably turn out to be more hassle than it's worth, I think you'd be better off just holding out for a '67 Impala or a '67 Caprice, less work and I think you'd be a lot happier in the end.

Yeah it's definitely a big job. You need to change a lot of things

Parts wise you'll need new fenders, hood, bumper, radiator support, grill, valance, all front trim, light surrounds etc - everything you see on the exterior is different - and that's just the front end.

It'd get very expensive, quickly.

If you want a '67, don't buy a '68. I know it shares the same profile, but it's different enough to know it. It'll eat at you and you'll never be happy. Wait for a '67.

Ask Michael Pick here (the guy that has Hunter. there's a thread here somewhere). He has about half a dozen '67s in his yard.

Ask Michael Pick here (the guy that has Hunter. there's a thread here somewhere). He has about half a dozen '67s in his yard.[/QUOTE]

True, but a tad bit too high on the sell price, I know there's a demand..but I also know what thery're worth still with that demand. Just keep looking, ebay, craigslist,etc. You'll find one at a ecent price. :cool

Hi guys! I have a 67 bel air that I am wanting to transform into a hard top so it can be just like Deans. Any one know if its possible to saw off the posts and put hard top doors on? I can get the weather stripping kit for a hard top but im not sure what else would be needed.

Hi guys! I have a 67 bel air that I am wanting to transform into a hard top so it can be just like Deans. Any one know if its possible to saw off the posts and put hard top doors on? I can get the weather stripping kit for a hard top but im not sure what else would be needed.
I would think that would be a job and a half trying to cut the posts off the doors. It's not as simple as that, it's not a matter of the hardtops just not having door posts, they're built differently. If you just cut the posts off the doors you're going to run into problems with the roof possibly sinking in over time, and the body twisting every which way, structure wise it's just not a good idea, you'd have to do a hell of a lot of reinforcing.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!! You are talking about two different cars. Yes they are both 67 chevy 4dr cars but the POST car is totally different. Comedian is 100% CORRECT in what he said. Either buy a 4dr hardtop or just build what you have and be happy.

To be honest, it's not completely impossible. In theory, you can chop off the top of the b-pillar, and attach 4 hardtop doors - but you will run into problems. The biggest issue will be structural - the loweer B-pillar is folded differently from the factory, and much stronger - as is the roof, and possibly the upper A & C pillar's.

Legally you would need to live in a State with very relaxed vehicle modification laws to simply cut it and leave it as is - and be allowed to drive it around.

To do it properly, it would cost you a few $'s.

If you do have some moeny, there is another option. 4 door hardtop Impala's are not a common thing. If you were to come across 4 doors for sale from such a car, chances are there would be a complete car for sale. It may be a complete basket case and need a sh*tload of work - but if you already have a Belair, you have 99% of the parts at hand and could use it as a donor car.

Just hope you have some spare cash lying around :cool

That's what I would do. I would leave the Belair as is and simply enjoy it. Continue to look for a 4 door hardtop that needs a lot of work, and go from there.

Yeah you all are right.. I was just curious if it were possible I would have a hard time emotionally doing it because the car is ALL original with on 53k original miles. Doesn't need much work to be completely restored. I guess I'll just have to finish the restoration and sell it so I can buy my hard top. But thanks guys you are all awesome!

Wow, so if it wasn't obvious from my user name, that is one of my favorite cars, especially the '65-70 years! Very nice and I will follow this thread!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back