drilling holes in pvc/abs pipe

pandabarnes

Hi,

Anyone got any tips for drilling holes into pvc/abs pipe?

I'm trying to drill the holes for an e11 and I'm not happy with the results, hole size is 7/16 or 11mm.

Holes keep ending up oval shaped, or just a bit wonky and chewed up looking.

Using a hand drill at the moment, standard drill bit, anything better out there for this sort of stuff?

Thanks.

That jig would probably work if you don't have access to a drill press. That's the best for drilling consistent holes in odd shaped material

You can get a cheap drill press usually for under $100 at garage sales, or on craigslist, that is your best bet. Other than that, go get yourself a speed square, they are dirt cheap, and have a million uses. Use it to make a V-Block out of scrap wood, and clamp the
pipe down with a pipe or conduit clamp. Use the speed square as a drill guide to drill a pilot hole, and gradually come up to the size you need.

If you're not using a drill press and/or can't get hold of one, the most important thing is to keep the pipe clamped still while you're drilling. I found it easiest to clamp the pipe in a small workbench, aligned so that I was drilling straight down. Drill a smaller pilot hole first, to keep the larger bit centred, and keep the bit spinning as you pull it back out to clear material & avoid snags. I didn't have any problems getting clean and regular holes entirely by hand/eye, and I'm all thumbs with this stuff.

If you watch Big Lots and or Harbor Freight you cab get a decent drill press with a vise rig for under 50 bucks. Drill press will probably be your best bet by far.

For plastic i prefer these type of wood-drills.

holzbohrer.JPG

No small feedhole first - just place the needlepart in the center and drill it.

you also need a jig/vise/something to hold the part in place while drilling. the only substance that I have never had to have clamped down has been wood. everythign esle metal plastic whatever seems to bind and move during drilling.

Jedi Dade

I have found that using pilot holes helps a lot with PVC. This means use a thin drill bit to drill the center of the hole out. Then the bigger bit can sit in that hole. If you're getting ovals, just be aware of the angle of the bit before you drill.

Use an x-acto knife and some fine grit sand paper to clean up any flashing.

Normally, I clamp the pipe down to a piece of wood so to keep it still. Then, I slowly begin running the drill until there's enough of a groove cut into it. And I slowly continue to run the drill, so to cut down on any mess. I do my drilling by hand, especially with doing it with PVC (I've made two PVC drink carriers and a DIY Slider).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back