Star Destroyer #3

Here's something I wasn't sure if I was going to do... engine flaps. In the end, though, if I want this to be as much like the original filming model as I can make it, I would have to have them.

The original part comes from the Aurora Sealab. From what I've seen, there is only one, maybe two per kit, and the kit is very rare and very expensive. If I had the part, it would be too fragile to cast, so I had to scratch build them.

One of the reasons I was hesitant to do them is because I wasn't sure how sturdy they would be. I was concerned that I would be knocking them off every time I had to turn a light bulb. Turns out they are very sturdy, and they don't get in the way of reaching the bulbs as much as I thought.

Here are a couple of photos I just took with lights on and off...

IMGP1447.jpg

IMGP1449.jpg

This makes the model one step closer to completion! So little left to do!

BEAUTIFUL! Just beautiful.

I'm in love...

I know Jason and Mike are working on including that particular Sealab part along with their resin sets because I sent them one of my spares to be cast.

Not that it helps you for this build, Rick, but hopefully it will for others who are trying to figure out how to provision all the parts needed for one of these beasts.

Awesome, as always!

Love the side-trench taper! It gets skipped by a lot of builds, but it's such a big part of this model's character! :thumbsup

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I've done anything on this model. After more than a year of intense work on it, I just had to get away from it for a while.

This morning I took a new shot of the back of the ship to redo an older shot that did not have flaps on the engines. Still some missing pieces, but I will have to wait until what I need turns up.

Ingalsbe-StarDestroyer-3.jpg

I've updated my website with photos of this model. All three Star Destroyer replicas can be seen here: Rick Ingalsbe Studio

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you're all enjoying this. It's really a dream come true for me. It has been a long haul with a lot of persistence and determination.

A friend of mine was asking about this build, and our conversation reminded me that the very first SD I tried to build was in sixth grade art class. The teacher put a pile of materials of all kinds in the middle of the room, then told us to make something out of them. I chose a bunch of wooden shapes, one being a triangle larger than the rest, and tried to make a star destroyer out of them. That was in 1978.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back