8th Doctor Coat

Oblivion

This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done, I'm absolutely useless with a sewing machine ! but hey ho, I think its turned out ok. Just need to add the buttons now :)

30bh91t.jpg

Hey! So far that looks better than half the people that have been sewing for 20 years and try to tailor a man's jacket. Tailoring is hard to do, and most people think that just because they can sew, they can tailor. I'd say it looks like you have a knack for it.
Of course this is from seeing it on a hanger and not on a body, but the lapels look crisp.

And in velvet no less... That is velvet no?

Looks good to me! I've made a few frock coats and they're not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Your collar and lapels especially look very well done.

I have had a bit of a frock coat oddessy in my life, I've commissioned millions of them from all manner of professional tailors, and the one thing hardly any of them seem to be able to achieve is the hourglass "waisted" shape of a frock coat, probably evidenced best by some of Tom Baker's, circa City of Death. A frock coat is something that, apparantly, even the best in the business have trouble with. Yours is a magnificent achievement! You're already ahead of many of the online "bespoke" "tailors" out there!

I've had a few of these 8th Doctor style frock coats made over the years based on a hodge podge of patterns, photo references, and a bit of guess work.

One of the better results (with Eric Roberts the TV movie Master): Eighth Doctor and the Master | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Unfortunately in spite of countless times watching the film and pouring over details I somehow missed the fact the coat has split tails. Of course once I spotted that I see it countless times throughout the TV movie.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back