Batgirl Begins....Torso now complete. 8/26

The work is fantastic, David. Also fascinating to see progress between stages. Thanks for sharing this with us.

A question: How do you create the leather-like texture on the sculpt, which will later be transferred to the mold and finally to the silicon costume? Are the "stitches" along the "seams" individually hand-scored, or are you using some sort of (rolling?) tool to produce them?

What about the grains in the "leather" itself? Do you get these by gently applying real leather onto the surface of the damp clay and then pulling it off? Or are you actually sculpting those patterns into the clay by hand?

Just interested to know more about what goes into creating an amazing piece like this. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Aug 20 2006, 05:18 AM) [snapback]1303876[/snapback]</div>
The work is fantastic, David. Also fascinating to see progress between stages. Thanks for sharing this with us.

A question: How do you create the leather-like texture on the sculpt, which will later be transferred to the mold and finally to the silicon costume? Are the "stitches" along the "seams" individually hand-scored, or are you using some sort of (rolling?) tool to produce them?

What about the grains in the "leather" itself? Do you get these by gently applying real leather onto the surface of the damp clay and then pulling it off? Or are you actually sculpting those patterns into the clay by hand?

Just interested to know more about what goes into creating an amazing piece like this. :thumbsup
[/b]

Again, a real big thanks for the supporting comments here. :)
I do realize that this is radically different compared to the 'typical' smooth cowls but we wanted something that would stand out...make people wonder when looking at the outfit...and simply be different.

The leather texture is done with a texture stamp I made from a very organic looking leather skin. I just poured latex over top of a skin. I then cut the latex sheet into squares of different sizes and use them all in different parts of the sculpt so it doesnt look like the same pattern over and over again.
Lightly heat the clay with a heat guy, a quick spray of universal mold release onto the stamp and press it onto the clay for a few seconds. Slowly peel off. The spray helps keep the clay from wanting to stick to the stamp. It's a long process and very tricky but can look cool. Once done I sponge over the entire area to give it some raised grain texture as well.
The stitches are done one by one...nice pain in the arse....

One of our own here was kind enough to do some cool photoshop work on this stuff...He did it in blue, the suit will be cast in black but I do have to say it's cool to see it like this.

darkbatgirl2.jpg

BGcolor.jpg

I finished the cowl mold last night...will be molding the chest today so I do expect to post finished chst pics later on.

Enjoy..
And thanks again for the critiques and feedback. :thumbsup

David

Thank you, David, for the detailed description of your technique in producing the leather grain and stich marks for this costume.

As much as I love seeing a finished item, my admiration grows even more when I have an understanding of the ingenious techniques that were used to create various effects.

I'm really looking forward to the next update and to seeing the silicone version take shape. :thumbsup

Of what will the cape be made?

Thanks again man. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Of what will the cape be made?[/b]

We want the whole thing to still be feminine...and possibly for her not to die while in costume so we decided against the usual rubber like cape material and I'm making a fabric material cape. The same logic as the Begins cape where it's lightweight and flows nicely. Something heavy probably wouldnt be ideal for this particular costume. Besides...she's got high heels and they cant be that comfortable as it is so something lightweight but fitting with the whole felmale look.
It'll be ready soon...along with the rest. :)

David

Thanks buddy.

Finished the torso scupt. :)

It's meant to look as if 2 different leathers are used. Textured like the cowl for the body area and smooth sand grain for the breast cups. The chest bat is detailed with skin pores and will be painted like flesh color as to 'look' like it's cut out.
Once again the black pics are just painted sculptures prepped for molding.

blkchst13.jpg

blkchst12.jpg

blkchst11.jpg

blkchst10.jpg

blkchst4.jpg

Perky..

blkchst3.jpg

Belt almost done...boot topps too.
More to come.
I know this is kind of 'out of the box' but I hope you guys still dig it. :)

Enjoy.

David

just a thought - you're making it specificly for her right? not for mass production? you could use the makeup she herself uses to make the skin tone perfect for her. maybe some sort of flat clear coat to make it permanent.

Again I must say, great work my good man.

She talked to me about getting some good pics of this suit while we are at Dragon Con and that is no problem at all.

And I promise to try and restrain myself from tweaking the Bat Nipples.

Out of curiousity, is that a life cast of her body or a generic body for sculpting on? I definately look forward to seeing the finished product at DC.

Holy **** BatMan..

I gotta start remembering to have a drool cup ready when I click on of your threads. That looks great and the faux leather look is brilliant.

David,

Thats great stuff. Once again, you've outdone yourself.
I was also wondering if that was her own body cast or a generic form....

What an inspiration, I can't wait to tackle my own Bat-suit.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back