fine molds or Ertl Slave I?

The Fine Molds at 1/72 is slightly smaller than the AMT/ERTL. And much more accurate.

The ERTL has raised panel lines while the Fine Molds lines are scribed.

But that's just the beginning of the differences. In particular, the underside of the AMT/ERTL Slave 1 is full of errors.

You have to check out this excellent write-up about correcting the errors in the ERTL kit, by Rafael Mateo on the Starship Modeler site:

Starship Modeler: Boba Fett's Slave 1, by Rafael Mateo

If you want a great, accurate kit out of the box, get the Fine Molds.

If you prefer the challenge of correcting a kit's many inaccuracies (and some modelers love that challenge), then the AMT/ERTL is for you. :)

{EDIT} Spelling. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Aug 16 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]1301526[/snapback]</div>
thankyou, just read review on both at starships, decisions, hmm...
[/b]

I have all three, the Jango and Boba Fine Molds version and the old Ertl version. The FM version is actually BIGGER than the ertl version, as well as being a billion times more accurate.

<div class='quotetop'>(toddski @ Aug 17 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]1301557[/snapback]</div>
I have all three, the Jango and Boba Fine Molds version and the old Ertl version. The FM version is actually BIGGER than the ertl version, as well as being a billion times more accurate.[/b]
Is that right? I've got all three, too... and could have sworn the FM was smaller. But they're all in storage and I was operating from memory. Could be I was thinking of the Falcon. I know the FM is smaller there.

Anyway, thanks for the correction, and sorry for the misinformation. :thumbsup

Are all of the Ertl models in scale with each other?

That may be something else you want to take into concideration. With the Fine Molds, they're all 1/72, so if you park them next to each other, they're all in scale.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back