2001 Discovery - refs? *actually 2010 version*

Nwerke

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all, helping a friend with a large Discovery model. It isn't one of the regular kits; it has some beautiful mastering but needs work here and there. Particularly I need refs for the "neck" area behind the main sphere, and the top and bottom of the sphere itself.

I know Discovery is famously short of references and the reasons for that, but I still expected to turn up more than basically two good pics. I have Bizony and even in that there's very little...if there's more out there then my Google-fu has failed me!

Can anyone please point me towards more?

Cheers,
Martyn

Last edited:
Re: 2001 Discovery - refs?

Scott Alexander's Atomic City site has or had a lot of great pics of his big Discovery build. As you say, pics of the real deal are rare. Scott's are probably about as good as you'll find.

Otherwise I have this pic of the collar area. Not sure where I found it. It's part of my 2001 stash.

I just saw on one of the big auction sites some Kubrick pics during the making of 2001.. The min amounts were out of this world.

Ah, Davros, there you are. Before I go and look in my Jerome Agel(?), have you got that or not? Actually there won't be much useful in that anyway as it's so small...

Scott Alexander's Atomic City site has or had a lot of great pics of his big Discovery build. As you say, pics of the real deal are rare. Scott's are probably about as good as you'll find.

Otherwise I have this pic of the collar area. Not sure where I found it. It's part of my 2001 stash.
Nice picture but it's a shot of the Discovery model built for the film"2010", the hatch placement is the give away, they moved it to accommodate the docking scene with the Leanov.

Why would there be the strengthening cables along the spine if it's a 2010 model? The feature would be seen early on in the 2001 model building process and later removed by the time of filming.

Quite right, this is from 2001 (although it's the smaller 15' model, which had a sphere about 18" across).

Are we sure it's the 15'? If so, how? Are you just judging by eye from the photo or do you have another reason for being certain? I'm finding it difficult to call...I'd always assumed it was the bigger version.

Everything arrived safely thanks frank. We've started some assembly. There's a couple a pix in our dalek build thread. Will start a new one once we have some more to show.

Good.

I kept the mold of that last part, just incase.
Now I can get rid of that mold and the mold for the Command Module.

I cant wait to see your build.

Colin-- It is the small model in that side-view photo of the CM. We know this because the large model never had the spine cage added.

Scott

Frank, wait, can we do a deal on the CM mould? I'm finding that the CM casting has some major issues with gelcoat adhesion. I think a low pressure cargo hold might have been to blame - the layers of urethane slush are separating from each other and the glass underneath and forming broad bubbles. I can send pics if you want.

If you would consider it, I'd love to grab the mould off you and take a replacement casting here, to avoid that issue. Even if the mould isn't in great shape, it'll potentially be easier than the amount of reworking I'm doing right now. Shipping paid, naturally, and if you like I will send pics of the mould cut up once I have taken a replacement piece out of it. You already know I'm honest on that sort of thing - whaddya say?

Everyone, thanks very much for the pics and pointers. Much appreciated! Been wanting to say that for a few days but have had computer problems. Anyway, thanks again.

As it turns out, the model we're working on is actually a pretty good rendition of the 2010 ship. I'm kind of pleased about that - something a bit different!

Oh, Frank, don't take my comment above as a negative! I can't see how the problem would have arisen in casting, it's a drawback of the method combined with air transport I think. These things happen and we're all more than pleased to have the opportunity to work on it. It's a great model!

Sorry for being late to the party...

The front section of the 2010 Discovery is currently exhibited in Paris (the owner has the whole model but the museum simply had not enough room to display more than the "head").

3 pics here :

on Slide - Photo Sharing

attachment.php

Hope it'll help !

Fred

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back