Chewbacca's Eyes

temponaut

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm cross-posting this from the Costume Forum, since I'm actually building a head for display, rather than a costume. :D

A question for Chewbacca experts:

Chewy's eyes are blue, aren't they? Pale blue?

Are they the same color as Peter Mayhew's eyes? Did Mayhew use any kind of colored contact lenses for filming?

I'm hoping that somone will be able to assist me with a nice color closeup of Chewbacca's face, showing the correct color of his eyes. If he did not change the color of his own peepers to play Chewy, then a nice color closeup of Peter Mayhew's face would do, too.

Thank you very much in advance. :)

I'm sure if Mayhew had to wear contacts he would have 'moaned' about it and
people would be aware of it.

I know I have seen many photos of him in costume without the head piece over the years
and in all of those shots he just had very dark eye make-up.

bah didn't post my original lol

yes he was wearing black eye makeup to avoid his skin tone showing through the mask's eye holes. afaik - it was his natural eyes and not contacts. and as for reference if he were wearing contacts I doubt he would be moaning at all...

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Aug 16 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1301450[/snapback]</div>
No contacts, just Peter's regular eyes.[/b]
Thanks for the big, clear image, lonepigeon. Gratefully received. :thumbsup

Are you quite sure that PM didn't wear contacts to play Chewbacca? I posted this thread in the Costuming Forum as well, and TK/TB6540 offered the following response:

<div class='quotetop'>(TK/TB6540 @ Aug 16 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]1301443[/snapback]</div>
In the pics I have seen, Chewies eyes are brown....

PM's eyes are blue, so he must have worn contacts...

I also have a signed pic of him, wearing a chewie T-shirt...

Eyes are the same on that too...
[/b]

I'm positive Chewie's eyes are blue.
Besides the fact that there are nice big publicity stills that show his eyes clearly- there would be no point to changing his eye color. That's not something they really did in 1977 especially on a low budget sci fi flick.

Thank you very much, everyone, answering my "Trivial Pursuit" question and providing corroborating photo evidence. I'm grateful for your help. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back