JP Dilophosaurus Puppet- Full Head/Body Build

Mitch

G'day all!

When in year 4 at primary I once made a life size paper mache salt water croc for some assignment. Turned out the ace of spades if I remember correct. So how hard can it be right? A Dilophosaurus is just a bigger upright croc,with a frill isn't it? :rolleyes

So most would have seen the roaming dinosaur exhibits floating around, quite realistic human controlled, though the occupants legs are exposed in black tights underneath. My hopes are to create a Dilophosaurus, aka Jurassic park style including the mythical frill but with my legs enclosed inside the dino's not being visible. Not screen accurate but hella cool none the less.

Framed out a head, body and tail. I think I have worked out how the legs will pivot at the joints while walking also. I'll create a pvc/timber hip system to pin the legs to.

I am still to add a cavity in the chest where my arms will reside to operate controls.
I intend to operate cables run down the neck from the head, for left right, up down and jaw movements. I will also be able to make the arms move and "pop" the frill from there hopefully. I am thinking the frill will be spring loaded for maximum effect. I just hope my engineering skills equal my imaginative ones.

4m from snout to tip of tail atm the moment.

Here's what I have so far, not impressive yet, but need to get the frame right to bring this together well at the end.

I intend on updating this thread with progress.

If you care to continue you may notice my inferior/poor mans methods. This is a NO COST build. A consequence to me being allowed to what ever project I like, means I can not spend money on them. A deal I was happy to make, as though I am limited on budget I feel it workable.

The build started a week ago and about 12 hours work so far. I intend on updating as the build progresses.

Headmached.jpg

headmouthopen.jpg

Sidebody.jpg

chestcav2.jpg

headpaperclayed1.jpg

headpaperclayed2.jpg

A quick Photoshop of the skull, to see how i'm tracking.
pc.jpg

Photoshopped.jpg

Added a skim coat to the head.
headskimcoat.jpg

Lip wire tests with braided stainless cable on a 2x4.
lipwire1.jpg

lipwire2.jpg

lipwire3.jpg

lipwire4.jpg

Upper palate. Notice the ridge down the center of the palate, it will house the 3mm tubing which will finish behind the front teeth/incisors. Here will sit the nozzle from a garden spot spray unit held inside the chest cavity. If I can position the nozzle correctly 3/4 will spray out the mouth and 1/4 will hit the back of the front teeth causing them to drip.
upperteethsetgums1.jpg

upperteethsetgums2.jpg

Teethsetgumupper.jpg

Teethsetgumupper2.jpg

So that is where I am at so far, only rough layouts. Unfortunately I am being held backslightly, as what ever paper cretes I am using I must make first.

Thanks for looking, not much exciting going on yet just prep.

Mitch. :)

Thanks Panzer! Started work on the lower jaw/teeth set last night. I'll post an update when it's dry.

Edit- Later that day....

lowerjaw2.jpg

lowerjaw1.jpg

lowerjaw4.jpg

lowerjaw3.jpg

Remember this is all base coats, i'll be finishing later with finer mediums after adding details.
Might even splash out and buy some clay. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back