1/350 TOS E is happening.

Mr Kerr

People used to say that you couldn't publish your accurate plans of 11 foot Tos Ent due contract restriction.

Is this still up? now after R2 model

Now with the CGI drawing form the R2 Box and decal sheet, people can upgrade their plans, by overlaying it in photoshop with other plans (like SInclair or Casimiro), and get something very close to your plans.

index.php

We can find now that Sinclair have a little mistake about the nacele position:

sinclair-enterprise-sheet-6.gif

Hello friends,

I am eventually going to do one of these and I want to do it right. Thanks for all that are posting here and sharing their findings and I am looking forward to your builds.
My question is a glass display case. Are there any ideas out there on how to put this under glass as a museum quality piece.

Thanks

In Hobby Talk Forum people said that the first Polar Lights kit deacal sheetof Ent was based in Mr Ker's plans.

They did a overlay of the first Polar Lights diagram with the SInclair plans and Casimiro plans:

pl_1701_comp_b.jpg

pl_1701_comp_a.jpg

Mr Kerr also posted the following text, explaning the history of the plans:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=1956045&postcount=472

"Several people have expressed an interest in the history of my TOS Enterprise plans, so here's the story:

It was a dark and stormy night.... Wait - wrong story. To continue.....

I became acquainted with Ed Miarecki through a mutual friend, and we conversed occasionally via phone and email. When I learned that NASM was going to ship the 11-foot TOS Enterprise model to Ed's shop for a restoration, I decided it was time for a road trip. The folks at NASM dragged their heels in shipping the model, although the restoration deadline remained the same. Eventually, in December 1991, the model arrived at Ed's shop, so I set off to Massachusetts with a friend from work, Richard Shafer.

After arriving at Ed's house, he took us to his shop - and there sat the Enterprise, supported on a lead pipe stand . In addition, the Klingon cruiser and Tholian/Aurora models were there, too. After lots of oo's and ah's, we spent 3 days at Ed's shop - taking photos and making measurements, tracings & rubbings. Ed said not to knock ourselves out because one of his friends would measure the model later, and he'd share the info with me. At the time, I didn't know Ed all that well and I didn't want to abuse his hospitality, so I restrained my urge to geek out and measure every inch of the ship; however, in retrospect, I could kick myself that I didn't spend all 3 days & nights measuring all 3 models.

Ed's restoration team hadn't arrived yet, so he decided to save time by disassembling the Enterprise before they got there. Richard & I held the saucer while Ed unscrewed the bolts that held it to the connecting dorsal, then we performed a saucer separation maneuver. Too cool! After the nacelles were removed, I was able to wrap heavy mylar around the aft 2/3 of the secondary hull and trace the location of all features and markings. After 3 days, I figured that Ed had had enough of us, so Richard & I said our good-byes and headed home.

In the spring of 1996, I got a call from another friend, famed model maker Greg Jein. Out of the blue, Greg asked who had a good set of Enterprise plans, and I naively replied, "Nobody - but I could draw some." Greg said that the folks at Deep Space Nine were considering a time travel episode that would involve the original Enterprise. Since the original studio model was not available for filming, Greg was thinking about building a replica, so I suggested a half-scale model. A 5.5 ft model was somewhat larger than normal, but that scale would make construction easier.

I dragged out my references from 1991 and sat down at the drafting table to start on some plans. Then I realized that I didn't have near enough data to draw a set of accurate blueprints. I got on the phone with Ed Miarecki, and a short time later, I was on a plane to Massachusetts. Ed was kind enough to share his data with me, then I flew back home and resumed drawing. I still didn't have as much data as I needed, so I had to use my reference photos, plus those supplied by William McCulllars, to fill in the gaps.

I sat at the drafting table all summer, then I finally shipped the plans to Greg. That fall, I flew out to LA with another friend from work, Phil Lundgren. We visited Greg Jein's shop, where he was trying to finish the model of the Klingon cruiser. At Paramount, we were searching for the Star Trek offices and were almost run down by Kate Mulgrew, who was in a big hurry to get somewhere fast. We met Mike & Denise Okuda, Herman Zimmerman and Doug Drexler, then Mike gave us a personal tour of the Star Trek sets (which appear much larger onscreen). We also visited Image G, where we met Gary Hutzel and got to watch Greg's Enterprise model being filmed. As it turned out, the T&T plans turned out to be fairly accurate, and the model looked great onscreen.

In early 1999, I got a call from Mike Okuda at Paramount. Mike explained that he was writing a book on all the starships named Enterprise, and asked if I'd be interested in blueprinting all the Enterprises (including the Pilot versions of the original ship, but not the Next Gen ship, for which they already had plans). I said, "Sure," and also recommended that Petri Blomqvist, a 3D artist and Star Trek fan in Finland, could produce some 3D renderings of the TOS ship.

After I assembled my references, I once again realized that I didn't have as much data as I'd like for the TOS ship. Mike started making some inquiries at NASM to see if I could get access to the 11-foot model, which was then in storage at the Garber Facility in Suitland, MD. We got permission to spend 3 days documenting the model, and by mid-April, I was on the road to DC with two assistants, Richard Shafer and Phil Lundgren.

At the Garber Facility, we were greeted by Frank H. Winter, curator of the Rocketry & Space History Division of the Smithsonian. After the Enterprise was uncrated, we spent the next 3 days furiously measuring the model in the shadow of the B-29 Enola Gay. In order to fill the gaps in my data, I prioritized the job to ensure that we could obtain the most critical missing measurements. We could have used another day or two at Garber, but I got most of the measurements I needed.

Back home, I sat down at the computer, instead of the drafting table, and got a crash course in drawing with AutoCAD. Recreating the Pilot versions required additional reference photos and other info, which William McCullars supplied in abundance. The market for Star Trek books was drying up, and Mike's book was canceled shortly after I finished the blueprints. Later on, though, Pocket Books recycled some of the plans as centerfolds of their Star Trek calendars.

Starting in 2001, the plans underwent further refinements when I provided references to Jim Key at Custom Replicas. Jim used the plans to build a fully-lighted, half-scale model of the Enterprise, which he documented in an article in Modeler’s Resource magazine.

In the spring of 2002, I was asked to provide blueprints of the Enterprise to help create a 1/1000 model of the ship (all 3 versions) for Polar Lights. This required a thorough reexamination and revision of my plans. Fortunately, by this time, I'd been given limited access to scans of hi-res photos of the 11-footer taken in the 60s. They revealed details on the 11-footer that had been altered or eliminated from the model before it was originally put on display. William McCullars continued supplying reference photos from his bottomless hard drive, and I received assistance from others, including Richard Datin, who had built the original 3-footer and had supervised construction of the 11-footer.

Following the Polar Lights revisions to my plans, I continued my collaboration with Petri Blomqvist. Previously, I had supplied Petri with the hard data I had gathered, and he used this data to refine his Lightwave 3D models of the various versions of the Enterprise. In turn, Petri used his Lightwave wireframes of the Enterprise to help me refine my plans and detect drafting errors. How, you may ask? After duplicating the camera angle and focal length of any reference photo in Lightwave, Petri could superimpose his wireframe model over the ship in the ref photo. Any discrepancies between the two would require an examination to resolve the problem. Sounds easy, but it requires a lot of hard work and patience.

Petri's wireframes were also useful in other ways, such as deriving accurate ortho views of objects from oblique views - e.g., the black arcs on the upper saucer of the 2nd Pilot version of the ship. They can also help arrive at a symmetrical "best fit" for irregular features, like the out-of-round engraved grid lines on the underside of the saucer. In addition, the wireframes helped me establish the correct spatial orientation of the saucer, connecting dorsal, nacelles, and secondary hull, relative to one another. This would have been impossible to do without building a jig around the 11-footer, which was something I never had the chance to do.

Today, Petri and I have worked together so much that his 3D Lightwave plans and my 2D AutoCAD plans are essentially identical. Our plans have been used various projects, and most recently, the plans were used by Master Replicas to create their 1/350 model of the Enterprise.

Gary"

Sorry for the repetitive posts, but I would like to know if these details from the Smithsonian restoration are right or not:

Small light on nacel:

IMG_2868.jpg

Screws:

IMG_2865.jpg

Spheric bulb with golden ring, in lower section:

IMG_2860.jpg

Golden ring again, this time in a bulb of then soucer section:

IMG_2866.jpg

My kit arrived today and I was so disappointed. It was numbered 547 instead of 1701. Other than that I freaking love it.
Just waiting on my PE and light kit and I am off to the workbench with this thing!!!

Kenny

Me too!
It is one helluva kit isn't it!

It is and has been one of my most sought after kits. I know I will get another one after Christmas cause I know how I am. I have 2 NX's and 2 Refits, so I will have to have another TOS.

I went to my shop yesterday and pulled the 2 NX kits and the 2 refits like i intended to start on all of them at once!!! :lol

Kenny

Surpisingly, I received an email today from AutoWorld that my Lighting Kit for the 1:350 TOS Enterprise has been shipped.

Anybody else also lucky?

Surpisingly, I received an email today from AutoWorld that my Lighting Kit for the 1:350 TOS Enterprise has been shipped.

Anybody else also lucky?

Did you order just the lighting kit, or the Accessory pack that also came with decals and photo-etch?

I read they got the accessory packs in, my pre-order for the lighting-kit only hasn't moved.

Did you order just the lighting kit, or the Accessory pack that also came with decals and photo-etch?

I read they got the accessory packs in, my pre-order for the lighting-kit only hasn't moved.

Just the lighting kit. According to the USPS tracking number, the parcel is on its way on route!

For what I saw on web videos up to now, the nacele ilumination kit looks a lot unnatural.
Crap... in other words...

If someone have a decent example, proving I'm wrong, please post.

The examples I saw on the web I think suffered from a lack of frosting. the bleed through of the LEDs was too pronounced. I think that some clever "diffusing" and perhaps soem tiny mirrors would go a long way toward makign that look more "natural"

Jedi Dade

My kit has just arrived [#1372] and the first thing that comes to mind is; :eek:love This kit is Fantastic. This is the kit of my dreams. A great big "THANKYOU" to everyone at Round 2 that made this happen. I have to wait for more funds to get the lighting kit and other accessories, but I will get them. Then it will be time to build.:) Also will get another kit or two for future builds. Again, "THANKYOU" Round 2 for makeing Dreams come true.

The examples I saw on the web I think suffered from a lack of frosting. the bleed through of the LEDs was too pronounced. I think that some clever "diffusing" and perhaps soem tiny mirrors would go a long way toward makign that look more "natural"

Jedi Dade
Yeah, I'm eager to see someone experiment with that.

Just the lighting kit. According to the USPS tracking number, the parcel is on its way on route!

I just realized my card was charged a few days ago, so I hope mine is on its way.

I never received any tracking info for the model kit so everyday is a possibility!

Mine arrived this past Monday. I am extremely impressed by the engineering of this kit. It was obviously designed by fellow builders to make assembly and painting easier, plus it already has provisions for lighting built in. And the detail is superb (yes, there are grid lines on the saucer section – oh well…

This is going to be a large and hefty model. It “feels solid” due to the internal reinforcement structure molded into the kit parts. No sagging nacelles or weak dorsal-saucer joint; they’ve all been designed well. When I see a kit this well-designed and thought-out, I really want to brag on it and hope that other manufacturers take note.

The “premier” edition that we have includes extra plastic parts and decals to model the 1st Pilot and 2nd Pilot versions as well as the series version. I was disappointed to see that alternate registry and Mirror Universe markings were not included; those are included in a separate accessory pack for $25. Doh!

I’m trying to rationalize purchasing more kits to build the Franz Joseph SC/DD, tug and DN. But I don’t know where I’ll display them… This is a big kit! Highly recommended.

Would be wise to wait, to give time to R2 fix the mistakes pointed by G. Kerr ?

After all, this kit, this project, was intented to be the perfect Enterprise kit.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back