1/350 TOS E is happening.

Registry decal comparison. The shot of the miniature is a little off-axis, which might tend to distort the letterforms a bit. I tried to correct for it.

registry-comparison.jpg

It appears that the two dots on the miniature are centered in front of the dorsal. So it's an intentional two, not a case where there were once three but one was covered up.

The question is, are these HOLES or are they just dots painted on. If dots, and if the underside was repainted, 3 could have been replaced with 2 I suppose. But I really kind of doubt that theory...

As I posted at another message board, there were two acrylic ports under the saucer when Ed Miarecki received the 11-footer in 1991, but he uncovered a third port when he was sanding the saucer. There are 3 ports in screen caps & publicity photos from the 60s, so the third port was apparently accidentally painted over during a previous restoration.

Ed also found another hidden porthole over the hangar bay area, but they must have had second thoughts about it because it was painted over before the Production version was ever filmed. One more thing: a 2nd Pilot porthole near the center of the sec hull has mistakenly been exposed on the current version of the 11-footer.

Gary

Thanks for the info Gary!

Can you post an example of a screenshot or publicity photo from the 60s that shows the three portholes? I was not able to find one.

K

Welcome aboard Gary! You will find us a bunch of fun loving laid back recreational modelers who love to just slap stuff together without a care in the world, not like those rivet counting OCD builders on those other uber snooty "modeling" forums. :lol :behave

Thanks for the info Gary!

Can you post an example of a screenshot or publicity photo from the 60s that shows the three portholes? I was not able to find one.

K

Clear shots of that area of the ship are scarcer than hens' teeth. Rather than search through my files all day, here's a cap of the 3-footer from "The Cage", which clearly shows the 3 portholes. You can also plainly see the "white" Pilot version impulse deck and blue "neck". I'll keep looking through my sources...

Gary

thecage469.jpg

Slightly offtopic, I noticed Culttvman is taking pre-orders for a re-release of the 1/350 NX-01 Kit in 2013. I have not seen anything official on this, anyone know if this is going to happen?

Clear shots of that area of the ship are scarcer than hens' teeth. Rather than search through my files all day, here's a cap of the 3-footer from "The Cage", which clearly shows the 3 portholes. You can also plainly see the "white" Pilot version impulse deck and blue "neck". I'll keep looking through my sources...

Great pic! And you're right, that's a pretty good indication that 3 was the intention.

By the way, I don't mean to be critical in my comments... the Round 2 is spectacular! With enough skill in building it will definitely be the definitive representation of the 1701 in this scale. Kudos to all involved!

k

I wish there was a virtual TOS E so you could wander the ship and look out the windows at all the interesting views someone might have seen. I know there have been some games where they have done a little of the interiors.

So now my question is this a "model" or a Studio Scale Model" since there was an actual 3 footer in the show?:cool

So now my question is this a "model" or a Studio Scale Model" since there was an actual 3 footer in the show?:cool

Scale model. I'm sure the missing 3 footer has too many differences from the 11 footer for this model to represent the 3 footer properly.

Too bad we don't have it around anymore. I bet someobody has it and ain't talkin'.

If the 11-footer was built at exactly 4 times the size of the 3-footer, as Richard Datin & Matt Jefferies' brother have said, then the PL kit is about an inch short of being studio scale.

Gary

Slightly offtopic, I noticed Culttvman is taking pre-orders for a re-release of the 1/350 NX-01 Kit in 2013. I have not seen anything official on this, anyone know if this is going to happen?

Just to side track, yup....

The NX-O1 350 will be re-released from Round 2 latter
part of 2013, so don't go to EBAY to get one...

:behave

Just to side track, yup....

The NX-O1 350 will be re-released from Round 2 latter
part of 2013, so don't go to EBAY to get one...

:behave

Although, once word begins to get out, you might see a run of NX-01s populate eBay and that may result in a price that is lower than what R2 might reissue it for.

The official announcement for the NX was made a few weeks ago. The 1/1000 NX-01 is also coming back out, but with a newly tooled secondary hull section to represent the "refit" configuration of the ship that we likely would have seen if Enterprise made it to a fifth season (and it is as official as it can be since Doug Drexler did the renderings of it).

I've still got an old NX-01 left in my stash so I'll be building that. I won't be doing it as the standard version of the ship though since to me, the Mirror Universe markings (I've got JT graphics markings) are FAR more colorful with the scrambled eggs on the top of the saucer.

Although, once word begins to get out, you might see a run of NX-01s populate eBay and that may result in a price that is lower than what R2 might reissue it for.

The official announcement for the NX was made a few weeks ago. The 1/1000 NX-01 is also coming back out, but with a newly tooled secondary hull section to represent the "refit" configuration of the ship that we likely would have seen if Enterprise made it to a fifth season (and it is as official as it can be since Doug Drexler did the renderings of it).

I've still got an old NX-01 left in my stash so I'll be building that. I won't be doing it as the standard version of the ship though since to me, the Mirror Universe markings (I've got JT graphics markings) are FAR more colorful with the scrambled eggs on the top of the saucer.

Are they going to fix the angle of the nacelles on the NX 350? That was a huge error on the original model, can't believe they'd put it out like that again.

In the Studio Model thread (see Studio Scale Forum) it's mentioned that what appears to be large chunks missing are actually rags on the edges.
yeah, that's what got me. I wasn't reacting to the scuffs, but perceived broken gaps along the edges!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back