1/350 TOS E is happening.

my mistake I thought they said is was a smaller one. Prices for the R2 kits are dropping, another one sold on the bay for only $119.

Last edited:
my mistake I thought they said is was a smaller one

Sorry, I think the confusion comes from the term "miniature". Any scaled down model made for filming is called a "miniature" no matter how big it is. So the 11-foot Enterprise is a miniature, the 54-foot Discovery from 2001 is.. a miniature. :lol

Karl

It appears that the two dots on the miniature are centered in front of the dorsal. So it's an intentional two, not a case where there were once three but one was covered up.

The question is, are these HOLES or are they just dots painted on. If dots, and if the underside was repainted, 3 could have been replaced with 2 I suppose. But I really kind of doubt that theory...

DS_trek3577.jpg

Curious, are there any pictures of the inside of the saucer?

Sorry, I think the confusion comes from the term "miniature". Any scaled down model made for filming is called a "miniature" no matter how big it is. So the 11-foot Enterprise is a miniature, the 54-foot Discovery from 2001 is.. a miniature. :lol

Karl

it's all good

I just went though all my photos.
Those dot's do not light up and there where 2 until the last (restoration)

Also on the (3) side lights, pictures from the Smithsonian show them sticking out from the hull at different levels.

As a 1701 Club member, I got an offer from Round 2 to go back and buy as many Premiere Editions that I wanted.

So I got another.

The email also said that after Monday the 26th anyone will be able to buy one if there are any left.

If it weren't for a stack of models I'm already working on I'd be ALL OVER getting one of those. Seems I'll be paying top dollar a few years from now instead! :lol

Secondary hull comparison.

secondary-compared.jpg

Looks like both the MR and the restored miniature in the Smithsonian have got the "102" marking in the wrong place... MR has it too far aft and the miniature has it too far forward.

74ent5.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Disappointing.

I know, just no more room right now for it! My wife gives me evil eyes every time a new parcel arrives. :facepalm

It's a beautiful ship. So far as my personal nostalgia goes I'll always be a fan of the refit but the original 1701 just has such a classic look to it you can't help but fall in love.

(Assuming of course you were referring to me)

Yep, I dunno if those scuffs happened before or after the model arrived at the Smithsonian, but you can see the damage on some of the earliest pics I have

74ent4.jpg

Too bad there aren't more photos from when this guy borrowed the miniature in the early Seventies... yeah some guy was allowed to borrow the miniature and take it away, lol. He actually brought it back to Paramount. Mind: blown.

71ent2.jpg

Photo of the miniature in Paramount storage... it was still intact with the dish and domes at that time... maybe it was taken at the time the show was still in production even.

Still mounted on the stand for filming! :)

Enterprise2enh.jpg

Wow, I've never seen this pic before. I had no idea the saucer arrived with this much damage.

In the Studio Model thread (see Studio Scale Forum) it's mentioned that what appears to be large chunks missing are actually rags on the edges.

Shouldn't be too hard to relocate them though! Silly mistake though, but one that is easily missed.

Garry Kerr posted a copy of the plans sent to the company in China doing the molds over at Hobbytalk and the 3 lights were in the correct location on the plan. It seems they flipped the drawings and it was never cought by anyone.

You are right it is easy to fix.

I know, just no more room right now for it! My wife gives me evil eyes every time a new parcel arrives. :facepalm

It's a beautiful ship. So far as my personal nostalgia goes I'll always be a fan of the refit but the original 1701 just has such a classic look to it you can't help but fall in love.

(Assuming of course you were referring to me)

I was referring to the previous post showing the incorrect detail.

I could care less how whipped you are. :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back