1/350 TOS E is happening.

Actually it would not have happened if not for the 1701 Club because they needed a commitment to insure that they didnt lose money on the development of a very expensive kit to produce. This kit almost didnt happen.

LOL...ok, if you want to believe that. I guarantee they did marketing studies and looked at the refit sales numbers ...they knew they would make bank...serious coin...far more then just 1701 kits

the 1701 club was a marketing ploy, nothing more

Last edited:
Yeah, Im new to all this...dont know nuthin about the project....or what went in to it. Im such a newb....this was a HUGE risk for Round 2 and a major investment but I bow to your superior wisdom and knowledge.

If it makes you feel good to think that the only reason this kit was built was because of the 1701 of us go right ahead.

If they needed committment that much they would have asked for cash up front to defer their risk capitol, anyone can sign up and back out when it's free nothing held any of us to actually buying the kit. They could get as much of that kind of "committment" by posting a poll on their website asking if people would buy it.

Last edited:
I'm not so upset that I'm not going to get the standard edition. I'm just reacting to my dashed hopes of getting one of the limited edition ones (you know, to make it a little more special in my collection as opposed to being just another expensive model kit). I'll be happy to get the regular one, but there will always be a tug at the back of my mind.

I bet you see prices come down to a reasonable level once the standards are released...the guy asking $1500 is nuts..even 300. theres so little to the premium kit that prices will drop (except outside US and Canada)

Marketing ploy? Possible. Is there really any major differences in any "special eddition" of a model kit or other collectable? Not really. Maybe a different paint scheme on things like figures or sculptures. Could they have made their money back if there was no "1701 Club"? Probably. But, for those of us who were excited about this kit and wanted to be part of something special, it was worth it. Yeah, we got cool trinkets in the t-shirt, club newsletters, and we get the special foil box, numbered COA, and extra parts. All in all, over the last year and a half it was a great ride. It's wasn't just about getting a collectable model in the end, it was the ride itself. That's what made this special.

I would have to agree with Onigiri, i doubt a company would blindly invest the amount of money needed to bring out a $150 model kit in this economy. I doubt it would have happened if they didn't get 1500 interested parties. Most companies right now are laying low and taking no unnessesary financial risks, especially trying to engineer and sell $150 model kits in a recession.

I'm betting the sales of the 1:350 refit were the basis.
They have to figure they will sell at least as many of the TOS as they sold of the refit kit.
On the other hand, I think the refit sold for $70 or something like that when it came out...

If it makes you feel good to think that the only reason this kit was built was because of the 1701 of us go right ahead.

If they needed committment that much they would have asked for cash up front to defer their risk capitol, anyone can sign up and back out when it's free nothing held any of us to actually buying the kit. They could get as much of that kind of "committment" by posting a poll on their website asking if people would buy it.

This is kinda sad really... Becasue R2 went through all of the trouble to make all the extra options we could ask for with including the parts for both pilot versions, then went ahead and made them available to the general public... its less "premier" get serious man... Would you have preferred it if they didin't, just to make our purchase more special? Really. I feel pretty excited about the entire process. The Club updates where worth it on their own. They were not supposed to be reposted but that was bound to happen... As for the kit being "premier". My opinion is that the most accurate mass produced enterprise kit in a super large scale allowing for a damn near perfect replica of the TOS Enterprise is "premier" enough for me :) the fact they made any effort for a "premier" edition is icing on the cake :cool:thumbsup

Now if I could just convince them to do a 1/1000 Enterprise D...
Jedi Dade

I'm betting the sales of the 1:350 refit were the basis.
They have to figure they will sell at least as many of the TOS as they sold of the refit kit.
On the other hand, I think the refit sold for $70 or something like that when it came out...

I picked up 2 for $100 :D:thumbsup

That makes this kit aobut 3x what the refit was what 10 years ago. Pretty significant increase - hence the apprehension, on their part no doubt. But as any model builder and Trekker knows, we'd go without food to get this model...:lol.

Jedi Dade

Businesses usually take all of these factors into consideration--although from my personal experience this is not always the case. This project didn't happen solely because of a market study or a buyers club it was a combination of those factors. I will say that from a decision making standpoint the 1701 Club was a solid idea and very well executed. I think to dismiss is so cynically is short sighted.

The plastic model business has been in decline for ages now and Round2 is a young enough company that I don't they don't have a huge back log of kits to re-run to help cover its R&D costs. Furthermore you are talking about a model kit retailing for $170 -- not the kind of price point that lends itself to flying off the shelves. So yes a careful look at the numbers is a solid starting point.

However, if it were my business and I knew that I had 1700 sincere buyers lined up at $140 a pop to buy my product I would feel much more confident submitting my business plan to the bank than I would with a plan based largely on previous sales--which are NO guarantee of performance. You can't pretend that those of us who signed up for the 1701 Club weren't serious about buying what they came up with. To equate that with a poll ignores the larger picture.

The bells and whistles of a Certificate of Authenticity and a glitzy package are just a nice way to say thank you and add a little value even if it is only largely perceived value, though we did get the extra parts in our package--they didn't have to do any of that but they did.

So my salute to Round2 and the 1701 Club!

Hi Everyone,
I am just getting ready to put in my order for the Premiere Edition. I would like to buy any and all the accessories that are being offered as well,but I cannot find a definate Contents list of the Premiere Edition anywhere... I would hate to buy an accessory pack that is already part of the premiere package.

These are all the accessory packs that I am Aware of:
Item No: MKA004.......1-350 Enterprise Parts Pack

Item No: MKA005 ....... TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Accessory Pack

Item No: MKA007 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Light kit

Item No: MKA009 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Photoetch sheet

Item No: MKA010 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Registry decals

Item No: MKA008 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Weathering decals

(I am assuming that the Accessory Pack contains the light kit and the Photoetch sheet.)

Thanks,
Opal

I am likely going to sell off my Pilot Version parts once I open her up for a couple of bucks if anyone is interested, and any other bits I don't need. I am just making the model straight up with no lights.

Hi Everyone,
I am just getting ready to put in my order for the Premiere Edition. I would like to buy any and all the accessories that are being offered as well,but I cannot find a definate Contents list of the Premiere Edition anywhere... I would hate to buy an accessory pack that is already part of the premiere package.

These are all the accessory packs that I am Aware of:
Item No: MKA004.......1-350 Enterprise Parts Pack

Item No: MKA005 ....... TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Accessory Pack

Item No: MKA007 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Light kit

Item No: MKA009 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Photoetch sheet

Item No: MKA010 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Registry decals

Item No: MKA008 ........ TOS Enterprise 1701 1:350 Weathering decals

(I am assuming that the Accessory Pack contains the light kit and the Photoetch sheet.)

Thanks,
Opal

I'm pretty sure the Premiere kits are sold-out now but good luck anyway!

Aztec Dummy is apparently going to be making a paint masking set.

What are they for? I thought the ship was all one color.

Here is a pic of the 4ft i am linking from cloudster.com

ent52.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back