Phantom of the Opera mask

mvmagic

In addition to movies, I am deeply in love with theater. Having worked in a theater, it always has a special place in my heart.

One of my personal favorites is The Phantom of the Opera and from a prop-builder's standpoint it has a very iconic thing in it-the half-mask worn by the title character.

There really isn't one definite mask design. Broadway production uses a set of generic masks and choose one that fits the actor the best. London-as far as I know-makes masks for individual actors. Of course there is the movie as well, but I've always found the mask in it rather boring.

I have a "real" mask, directly from production-used mold (I have that on in my avatar) but I've always wanted a personal mask. One that fits my face well so I decided to make one-so this isn't a 100% prop replica. I also wanted to incorporate design elements from different masks.

I meant to vacform it but after making the plug, my vac table took an unfortunate 10-foot plunge to a concrete floor so before building a new one, I decided to use the mold for the plug and use polyurethane to cast the mask. I've done a ton of rigid masks and armour for stage and wanted to share this with you guys. The stage version is rather heavily shaded so the shape reads better but as mine is for much closer viewing, I opted for very slight shading.

Here's the initial sculpt (sorry for the quality):
IMG_0178.jpg

The mold:
IMG_3355.jpg

The vacform plug (which I will use in the future):
IMG_3354.jpg

And the finished mask:
IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

Last edited:
Great job! I so want one.

I want to Vac Form one as well but don't really know I will make the buck. I want the one from the 2nd film (LOVE NEVER DIES) as I really like the shape over the one used in the first film.

Last edited:
Oh yes the Love Never Dies mask is really nice. In the sculpt picture there's actually a Love Never Dies souvenir program and you can see a glimpse of the original Love Never Dies mask, worn by Ramin Karimloo in London. I still havent made up my mind which one I like better....the UK or Australia version.

That is a fantastic sculpt! I've toyed with the idea of sculpting my own, but haven't had the time or power to do so.

I agree it is hard to decide between UK & Aus, but I do love the 25th Anniversary version with the slight hint of colour!

I was wondering are you planning on making more to sell? I would love to have one with the proper metal anchor instead of a stupid ribbon/elastic band!

I'm currently working on two of Christine's gowns from the show (Wishing and Star Princess) myself!

mvmagic
The mask you made is really really good. I am a big fan of the show and I would like to make one for myself as well! May you please tell me a little bit more of the details in this so I can try and make one? Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my initial post pretty much sums it up. Clay sculpt, which I then molded and cast my 1st hard copy. I then worked on the hard copy, using different grit sandpapers (dry & wet) and some filler. When I was happy with that, built a mold box and molded it in silicone-thats the mold pictured. Cast a vac plug in a resin suitable for vac forming. The mask pictured was slush-cast with Smooth Cast 300 and airbrushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, I used to have the address of the woman who made the original masks for Crawford. They were paper mache', and airbrushed. I got her address from Wally Wingert, who had one made for himself by the woman in question. Unfortunately, it's been decades, and my files are scattered everywhere (damned divorce). As I recall, her prices were VERY modest given the quality of her work! I'll see if I can dig through the archives, but I don't have much hope!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back