Clint's Poncho - Accurate measurements

Lutso

Sr Member
I realize there's been a handful of "Man with no Name" threads around here. I searched through all of them trying to find this information, but alas...fruitless.

I need to know what the most accurate measurements are for a Clint poncho (you know, the green one).

A general consensus around the interwebs is a bit hard to find. Alot of sources seem to think 80' by 39' is the way to go, but I've seen variations go as far North and South as 84' by 29' and 50' by 32'.

So what the heck is the real poncho's measurment?

This is such a wildly iconic and over-analyzed piece of memorobilia, I find it extremely hard to believe that "nobody knows".

I'm referring to measurements of length and width on a poncho that is unfolded, FYI.

So the reason I ask for this is because I'm making my own out of an army blanket. It's not going to have the same patterns on it or anything, so it won't be accurate, but I do want to replicate the drape of it rather closely. It won't look like the Clint poncho, but I want it to fit like the Clint poncho, you know?

I'd appreciate any help. This is becoming very aggravating.
Lutso

>>>clip<<<
So what the heck is the real poncho's measurment?

This is such a wildly iconic and over-analyzed piece of memorobilia, I find it extremely hard to believe that "nobody knows".

I'm referring to measurements of length and width on a poncho that is unfolded, FYI.

So the reason I ask for this is because I'm making my own out of an army blanket. It's not going to have the same patterns on it or anything, so it won't be accurate, but I do want to replicate the drape of it rather closely. It won't look like the Clint poncho, but I want it to fit like the Clint poncho, you know?

I'd appreciate any help. This is becoming very aggravating.
Lutso

If you want to make the poncho to look on you like Clint's looks on him, then it doesn't really matter what the exact measurements of Clint's poncho is unless you're the exact same size and shape that he is, or was at the time of the film's making.....

I would suggest you buy some cheap fabric, or a sheet, or maybe even find a similar weight old blanket at a thrift store to use for experimenting and making a mock up . Something that is a bit longer and wider than you think the poncho needs to be.

The one Clint is wearing looks to be as wide as from just below the bend of his elbow to the other, and the length comes to about mid thigh, not counting the fringe.

Measure yourself from these points and cut the mock up fabric a little bigger. Fold the fabric in half crosswise, then in half again lengthwise and cut out a slit for the neck opening--cut it small at first, you can cut more but you can't un-cut!

Gather all your reference pics. Try on the mock up poncho over the same or similar shirt, vest and whatever else it will be worn over, and see if the length and width on you is looking like it does on Clint.....if not, take it off and trim off where you think it needs either shortened or made more narrow, and keep trying it on and trimming a little bit at a time until it looks like Clint's. Might try also try some of those folds and throw backs like he wears it in different scenes.

It shouldn't be too difficult, it's just a rectangle of fabric, the two most important things is not to get the neck hole too big, and not to get the rectangle too small in width or length.....

If using a sheet, it's not going to drape exactly like your wool blanket is going to, but it should drape similar enough to acquaint you the look, feel and size of the poncho on yourself before you cut into your good army blanket.

clint-poncho.jpg

Shylaah

Mine measures 49 1/2 inches wide by 59 long, not including the fringe, and for my 6 foot body it hangs darn near perfectly for my tastes.
Most of those measurements that are 29 or 32 are folded measurements, so you can measure from your shoulders to where it hangs.
Mine is a large from Larry's, which also tells you his measurements are approximate as mine are an inch or so different than what the website states.
80 or even 84 is an ungodly size for a poncho, but many of the cheapie ponchos are actually close to that size and they are waaaay too large, potentially hanging down to your kneecaps.

Thanks for the replies Shylah and dbuck. I guess I'll just go with the 49 by 59 model.

The idea was that I would just scale it appropriately based on his proportions, not to necessarily copy his dimensions exactly. For example, if Clint was 6'2 (or whatever) and I'm 5'11, I would take a 50 by 60 poncho and bring it down to, say, 45 by 55. You see what I'm getting at?

I think I'll start slicing tonight and see how it turns out.

If it helps at all in your gauging the dimensions of the Screen Used Poncho, Clint Eastwood was actually 6.4 back in '66.

Has lost a couple of inches over the last decade or so.

I saw the display at the Cowboy Museum. The cowboy boots were huge.

How could anyone get the measurements? Unless you go to Eastwoods house.

Don't forget he was wearing a sheepskin vest underneath so you have to take that in account on how it hangs and drapes

my hero.!
im huge fan of clint..
and im sure.. he is 6'4"..
ive got a friend.. and he has a picture with him.. my friend is almost the same size as me. 5.10".. and i blow up the picture and looks like he is 6'4"..for sure.

about the poncho.. you CANT use the same meassures for your poncho.. this is one mistake few people make all the time.. is like for example : jack sparrow hat is made for JD.. so YOU CANT wear the same hat if you are not the same size and JD..

better thing to do is.. get a picture of full body of clint wearing the poncho . and blow it up to the real size.. then you have the real zise of the poncho.. then do the same with a picture of you..

l_dabbf011791049e57c4628ce717f6cb5.jpg

poncho.jpg

human_body.jpg

is not so long front and back.. but the sleeves looks huge..
ill work on in this week..

cheers

Now, I'm NOT selling this, but I did find a site that sells custom made, hand woven ponchos like Clint's from the No Name series: Baron Hats Classic Reproductions - The No-Name Collection
The given measurements they claim are:
- neck to fringe: 35" (making the total length around 70")
- shoulder to shoulder is 39" (which is reasonable for a man who is over 6')
- edge to edge is 49" (which doesn't really seem long enough, as it looks more than 5" from shoulder to the edge, doesn't it?)

Started conversation with dbuck about a week ago but never got any answer so i post it here if someone could help.

"Hi

(Not a native english speaker)

I'm super confused about the sizing. Heres the data i have gathered:

Clint was 6'4"

Im 6 feet tall (182cm) 180lb (82kg) normal body.

This looks pretty accurate in my eyes: Clint Eastwood Style Spaghetti Western Cowboy Poncho Costume

This is what you have said: "Mine measures 49 1/2 inches wide by 59 long, not including the fringe, and for my 6 foot body it hangs darn near perfectly for my tastes."

But then there's this:
"CLINT EASTWOOD SPAGHETTI WESTERN PONCHO
"Our Extra Large size (shown at left on 6'-4" model) is 53" wide x 32" long (each side)."

So the guy is Clint sized and it looks pretty good length wise, but i think it should be wider. I have took measures and for me the 53 is too short and 59 (+fringe) seems perfect (it ends to a crotch area like it should). How does the 53" poncho look so good on a 6'4" model??

All and all i agree that lenght for a 6 feet tall should be 59" but not sure about the width. I think that 59x39 would be the way to go (or should it be wider so that "sleeves" would be more accurate?). What do you think and could you send a photo you wearing your poncho?

Thanks"

Sorry I didn’t respond.

I do not have a picture of me with the poncho hanging down, only flipped over the shoulder so that won’t help you. My poncho is in storage and I don’t have easy access to it, so I cannot pull it out for a quick photo either.

If you are looking for a poncho that fits you, perhaps cutting something inexpensive like an old sheet to the sizes that you see for sale will help. Everyone has different body sizes and shapes, shoulders, torso, arm length, and so on will affect the look of the poncho.

If you are looking for the actual size worn by Clint, I don’t know how to get actual measurement. A long time ago the poncho hung in the Hogs Breath Inn, and I did see it but it was over the bar and you’d never get close to it.

Here are some pictures that are on the rarer side, these might help you determine the ‘look’.

Eastwood poncho

Pics would tell more than thousand words:), but i understand(y). I guess i'm going to take a leap of faith and order custom size (59"x39") from the Etsy seller (allthough the stripe/ornament at the bottom on their version should be a tad higher i think). Thanks for the pics you uploaded(y).

Pics would tell more than thousand words:), but i understand(y). I guess i'm going to take a leap of faith and order custom size (59"x39") from the Etsy seller (allthough the stripe/ornament at the bottom on their version should be a tad higher i think). Thanks for the pics you uploaded(y).

I have the Hollywood props one, it is expensive, but man is it nice.

Accurate dimensions of the original are supposedly 203cm x 99cm (80H" x 38W") (I have emailed that post's author for info on the source of the measurements.)

(It's unknown if the above measurement includes the tassels.) This measurement seems to be the poncho's unfolded dimensions which would equal 38" Wide and 40" High on each side which seems too tall unless it is including the tassels. The tassels appear to be 5-6" long so multiplied by 2 that removes 10-12" from the original height measurement. Giving us a height of 34-35" on each side (excluding tassels) or 68-70" unfolded length (excluding tassels). Considering Eastwood's height at the time this measurement seems quite accurate.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back