How to grow and shrink?

suehle

I've been brainstorming ways to make a person grow taller and shorter--not necessarily by a ton, but at least a few inches--while in a costume. Any required apparatus could probably be pretty easily hidden. Ideas?

Shoes lifts are a good way to do it. Google Elevator shoes.

A number of us Wookiee costumers have built large Wookiee feet and mounted the shoes at angle, with the heals several inches higher than the toes. This helps add height without the "FrankenWookiee" that you see with platform shoes.

If your costume involves a mask, you might look for a way to see out of the neck, chin, or even the chest. I believe that Hayden Christiansen did this when he wore the Vader suit in Revenge of the Sith. I've seen some fan-made Ring Wraiths that have done the same.

What costume are you building?
How big is the finished costume supposed to be?
How big is the wearer?

Not just be taller--that's easy enough. But to grow while in the costume so that it can change from one thing to another, although I haven't quite worked out the details. I hope that makes more sense!

what about some kind of rocking hydrolic. If you had one on each toe and one on each heel that would only allow movement one way, you could rock back and forth on your heels and toes and essentially "ratchet" yourself up.

Also, if it's a masked/helmeted/hooded/ costume, raising the head and shoulders could make sense too.

I'm assuming that you're wanting the body to look like all parts are growing "equally"?

You'd need to have the torso rise from the waist and have the legs lengthen too, I think.

OOOH. Ok what if, and go with me on this...you had an accordion hinge set up on an X.

You know those reachers that expand? They look like: <><><><><><><><>

Now imagine you had those going on an X where the point in the middle is your waist at the beginning of the costume. Once it expands, it's more like:

\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \ (sorry this was a big expanded X in ascii when I drew it :)

Am I making sense? Oh well, I look forward to what you're going to produce :)

When I needed to "bulk out" in costume... as a spontaneous transformation, I used inflatable life-vests. I made the understructure, then a pocket of two-way spandex. I worked the life vest panels down the arms, across the back shoulders. Then added my outer detail in overlapping panels, so when it expands, it still covers. Start to twitch, crouch down, pull the cords and snap up dramatically as it inflates! :cool

You guys are so creative! I'm intrigued by the accordion reacher idea. Actually I'm intrigued by all of them. To the drawing board!

(I love this forum.)

Could make make a compressed air system by using an air driven piston in the shoes that pushes up a hinged platform. Could drive it by a small paintball compressed air tank or CO2 tank? Might only be enough juice for one or two lifts before you refill? Just an idea. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back