Need a cheap resin that can be tinted black, poured into Coke bottles

Macrossmaster

At my church's youth center, we have an old school Coke crate with 24 empty coke bottles, including the caps. I want to refill them with black tinted resin (as cheaply as possible!) with lots of bubbles so it resembles the real deal.

Any suggestions? Cheap is ideal.

you can test it yourself I have mixed testers enamel paint few drops worked just fine tints and dries with resin.. so mix in black and go for it..

Yup, just mix in an enamel, but mix some brown into that black first.
Also, bubbles? Are you displaying them "freshly opened"? Cuz there are no bubbles when it's still sealed.

Anything short of a liquid or gell will almost certainly delaminate from the glass over time destroying the effect when you are using a highly tinted material...

Generic Cola is likely your cheapest option, if you want it more 'solid' make Cola gelatin...

I'm looking for something that simulates Coke that attracts no bugs/rats/etc. If it's real, the kids will drink it. If it's fake, it has to be something no creature wants to drink/eat.

I'm looking for something that simulates Coke that attracts no bugs/rats/etc. If it's real, the kids will drink it. If it's fake, it has to be something no creature wants to drink/eat.

Short of a floral resin (or just about any other resin) that will cost you $100 to fill a case of bottles...

Super saturated salt water with brown/black pigment?
Mineral oil with brown/black pigment?

Or simply mask off a small part of the neck of the bottle and spray paint the inside...

You could use flavorless gelatin or agar agar with water died the right color. Eventually, both of those would probably pull away from the bottle as they dried making them look like one of those Resident Evil Virus/Andidote vials that has sat on a shelf for years which I've seen in a number of members collections.

The masking off the bottle idea is a really good one.

I would use gelatin or hair gel. I've seen certain hair gels that trap air bubbles. Or skip the bubbles and work on the semi translucent black.

I Have a bottle in my Vampire display filled with "Blood" To make the blood I went to the dollar store, picked up a bottle of Clear Shampoo. I poured it in a bowl, and mixed in red food coloring until it was even in color, and had the right look. 16 years later it still looks great. Just mix your food coloring until it's Dark Brown/Black, and stir it in until it has the look you want.

Thus far the masking is in first place, but the hair gel thing is an amazing idea - it can be purchased in bulk for cheap and nothing in its right mind would want to eat it, plus it has bubbles.

Hmmm...you guys are a font of great ideas! I'll try to work out the painting thing first.

Hair Gel will attract bugs. I used to have a promo container from the Blob remake. They used hair Gel. It started attracting bugs, so it got tossed.

You could fill it with liquid, and seal the neck with hot glue.

This is one of the problems those of us wanting to make Fallout Nuka cola displays have too. Painting might be the best bet.

Here is one idea:
Get translucent glass paint for painting windows. Perhaps you may have to mix different colours to get the right semi-translucent brown. Pour a small amount into the bottle using a long funnel so that it drips onto the bottom and does not flow down the inside of the bottle. Then slosh it around gently until it has stuck well enough up to the height that you want.
To get more bubbles, blow some into the mixed paint using a straw before you pour it in.
Practice on cheap modern bottles first.

What if you used wax? You could melt it, tint it dark brown/black, pour it in, it'd last practically forever, and it wouldn't attract any bugs. Heck, you could even use citronella wax and it would repel bugs. lol.

OK, 16yo clear shampoo from the dollar store tinted red. It has no smell, so no bugs. Tinting it black/dark brown shouldn't be too hard.

10ru6gm.jpg

I even shook it for some bubbles.

2dbrnr9.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back