AMT USS Enterprise

The one I bought looks to me like the small box version with balls on the end caps and the smaller dish. They also removed the raised saucer gridlines. It's also blue in color which is kinda cool.

As far as I know the recent Round 2 version is just a repop of the latest tooling of the original AMT kit. Unless they have something in the works to re-create those original parts...

It's concievable, since as I have heard, the recent "2001 a space odyssey" Moon Bus kit (Moebius models) was re-created by scanning and tweaking a copy of the 1968 Aurora kit - they didn't have access to the original toolings! So I don't see why re-creating a more accurate AMT Enterprise couldn't be done, except of course for cost reasons.

'k

... Is this true?
No... but I doubt the person who said it would know the difference anyways.

I've been working with Round 2's version and the original 1966 AMT version side-by-side for months, and there is nothing (other than the box art and instructions) that resembles the original model kit. The plastic is a slightly modified version of the mid-70s retooling of the kit.

In September Revell Germany has these Enterprise and Klingon kits coming out... 1:600 scale, 71 parts (!)... Slightly larger than the old AMT, which is supposed to be 1:650. Worth keeping an eye on.

04880.JPG

Revell_Enterprise.jpg

Last edited:
R2 now has the Tholian Encounter Enterprise kit.
Same model but in glow in the dark plastic and 2 (3 part) Tholian ships and a Tholian wed cardboard background.
Just saw a video revue of it this morning over on Hobby Talk.

I'd be interested in the new offerings form RoG.
Will definitely be keeping an eye out for them.

In September Revell Germany has these Enterprise and Klingon kits coming out... 1:600 scale, 71 parts (!)... Slightly larger than the old AMT, which is supposed to be 1:650. Worth keeping an eye on.

It's time to move on from the old workhorse AMT kits.

I mean it's fine for collectors, but I have no desire to build one again.

Man would I love to see Fine Molds do the TOS E.

Bummed that Bandai never did one of their lightup snap "puzzle" models of her as well.

All things considered, while the AMT kit we currently have is not exactly accurate, it is still a nice model compared to its 1966 cousin with its crazy warp pylons. Sure it has its problems, but there is enough aftermarket out there to make a decent stab at it and even built OOB with some minor accurization tweaks, it can still look good as long as a modeler puts a decent effort into building, painting and decaling it right. If I see a well built 18" kit next to a sloppily built newer kit (1/1000 or Revell of Germany kit) I will tend to like the 18" more.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back