Doctor Who Episode 2 Possible Spoilers as to the identity of River Song

Megamicrofish

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, Just watched episode 2 of the new series on BBC and I just put 2 and 2 together and made 5

We were told early on that we would find out the true identity of River Song in this series, I think The little girl in the space suit is River, Amy said she was pregnant in the last episode and the girl is her daughter,remember the first time we met River, she was in a space suit and the episode was called "Silence in the Library" also the coincidence of River/Pond names ?

Last edited:
The thought had crossed my mind, but then wouldn't it also mean that she would have to be the Doctor's daughter, given the ending of tonights episode?

And they flirt and make out??

Wife and I came to the conclusion. The last scene w river and the doc in the prison. Her ominous comment '.... Or the last time.......' indicating that they have reached the end of river's timeline but the start for the doc. Remember the meet in opposite directions. When she meets the doc for the 1st time, he knows everything......

Too many coincidences.....

Wife and I came to the conclusion. The last scene w river and the doc in the prison. Her ominous comment '.... Or the last time.......' indicating that they have reached the end of river's timeline but the start for the doc. Remember the meet in opposite directions. When she meets the doc for the 1st time, he knows everything......

Too many coincidences.....

Have thought exactly the same

The end of River's timeline is "Silence in the Library" And he said it's the first time they kissed, but she says they've kissed before. So it's not the end of hers.

This is why I hate time travel stories. Silence in the library is the death of river, not necessarily the end of her time line in terms of her story. Remember they meet in jumbled up sequence in opposite directions. Silence in the library, doc meets river for 1st time, doc knows nothing, river knows everything. When river meets doc for the 1st time ie as this child in the suit, doc knows all abt her, but she knows nothing. Risu gets my point.

Also we know that river in in prison for killing someone important, to her and the universe, and the 1st episode has the girl in the suit killing the 900plus yr old doc......

The hints and dis jointed clues are there, but dont quite fit. but its gettin there

The thing is, the girl is no longer in the suit and appears to have regenerated back in '69/'70. Additionally, it is blatantly stated that the suit, once it has fully healed itself, is cable of wandering around on its own.

I think that the child is Amy's daughter, but with a twist. We know that time travel affects the body in generally non-harmful ways. My suspicion is that being pregnant while travelling in the TARDIS altered Amy's daughter in such a way that she is able to regenerate. This brings up the question of whether someone who has the ability to regenerate is instinctively aware of it, or if they have to be taught about it. If it's the former, then it wouldn't be surprising for her to know; but if it's the latter, who taught her what regeneration is and how to start it, especially if it's her first regeneration and she's not Gallifreyian (i.e., there would be no reason to believe that she might be capable of regenerating)? Also, if she is Amy's daughter, why would she be wandering around on her own like that?

It's the first time he kissed her and the last time she'll kiss him.

Exactly. I've watched the episode twice and have been reading blogs and posts about it all morning, because as a historian this just drives me bonkers.

I think "Silence in the Library" (note too "Silence" in that title, and Moffat wrote that episode....) is indeed River's end of story. The fact that it was the first time they kissed, means that for her and her life, from there on out she and the Doctor will not be a couple (since she's working backwards). However, for the Doctor, every time they meet from this point will be more amorous, since it was his first kiss with her, and not his last.

For River Song, though, it was indeed her last. That's actually somewhat confusing, since they obviously are not working on two inflexible linear timelines, and move around a bit (hence sitting down to figure out where they are in their diaries), so there has to be something more to her saying "last", right?

Cheers,

Guy

Exactly. I've watched the episode twice and have been reading blogs and posts about it all morning, because as a historian this just drives me bonkers.

I think "Silence in the Library" (note too "Silence" in that title, and Moffat wrote that episode....) is indeed River's end of story. The fact that it was the first time they kissed, means that for her and her life, from there on out she and the Doctor will not be a couple (since she's working backwards). However, for the Doctor, every time they meet from this point will be more amorous, since it was his first kiss with her, and not his last.

For River Song, though, it was indeed her last. That's actually somewhat confusing, since they obviously are not working on two inflexible linear timelines, and move around a bit (hence sitting down to figure out where they are in their diaries), so there has to be something more to her saying "last", right?

Cheers,

Guy

for river song it is indeed not her last. geez, come on guys, if you're going to reference an episode then do it right.

silence in the library has river give the doctor a speech about their last time together before she travels to the library.

he takes her somewhere special, he gives her his altered sonic screwdriver so that she can be 'saved'. that did not happen in this episode, therefore, this is not the last time she sees him in her present/his future.

for river song it is indeed not her last. geez, come on guys, if you're going to reference an episode then do it right.

silence in the library has river give the doctor a speech about their last time together before she travels to the library.

he takes her somewhere special, he gives her his altered sonic screwdriver so that she can be 'saved'. that did not happen in this episode, therefore, this is not the last time she sees him in her present/his future.

You misunderstood what I was meaning by "her last". Everything you state, I acknowledge, but the "last" was referring to her kiss. From this point on, from her perspective, she will become more distant to him, since she's moving more to the 10th Doctor. While the current Doctor's relationship will get more intense with her, as their love continues to grow.

Actually, it won't be the last.

Right before River goes to the Library, she and the Doctor went somewhere special, as Lancer has said.

This will be right before River meets Ten, so pretty much at the end of her story, but the Doctor has to have feeling for River by then, as River stated something like:

"You cried all night and wouldn't tell me why."

Sods law is that it's probably the one time they ever got perfect synchronization. xD

I wonder if the timeline got changed.

If it's nearing the end of River's timeline, you'd think if they were in love and he took here somewhere special knowing it 'was the last time', they'd kiss. Therefore, you'd think it can't be the last time they'd kiss (from her perspective).

IMO River is Amy Pond in the future. River mentioned that the Doctor met her as a young impressionable girl that showed her the universe. Plus the "great man" that River kills, I think is Rory. I think somethings going to happen where she has to decide between the doctors life or Rory's.

As for the girl, the Tardis said that Pond was both pregnant and not pregnant. Perhaps the death of the 200 year old doctor causes the girl to have never been conceived. Since the future is wibbly-wobbly and all; maybe that point is history can still be changed.

I got the impression that the Tardis readout was oscillating between pregnant and not pregnant, but then the final conclusion was revealed to the Doctor, but not the audience.

Some unanswered questions:

1. Why does River recognize 10 as if she has known him?

2. When is the Doctor going to start using the modified RTD era sonic screwdriver that River is familliar with?

I got the impression that the Tardis readout was oscillating between pregnant and not pregnant, but then the final conclusion was revealed to the Doctor, but not the audience.

I don't think so. More than likely there's something wonky going on with all the Artron energy that she's absorbed, and having been affected by the crack in her bedroom, and being in the Pandorica.

My guess is she's Schroedinger's Amy, she's pregnant and not at the same time.

Some unanswered questions:

1. Why does River recognize 10 as if she has known him?

2. When is the Doctor going to start using the modified RTD era sonic screwdriver that River is familliar with?
1. Maybe they meet again in an episode like the 3 Doctors, he just doesn't remember it. Just a guess.

2. Not for awhile I imagine.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back