Forbidden Planet

cyberpred

Sr Member
I was curious. Do any of you know how the person in the Robot Suit in Forbidden Planet wore it? How did the top balls attach to the bottom of the waist and allow the actor to walk?

C.:cool

The legs and hip section was fitted to a sholder harness with cables to hold the legs and hip section to the harness, he then supported the center section and arms and head on the hip section.

IF you can find the old Cinefantastique double issue # Volume 8 Number 2/ Volume 8 Number 3 it was mainly about Firbidden Planet and shows a few pictures of the actor being suited up.

I am betting Phasepistol will pop in with some great pictures of this.

Here is one of him being suitted up.

Note the black makeup, he looked out though the voice tubes..

Rich

robby-cinefantastique-04.jpg

Well, better late than never, :lol

My understanding is that the whole suit hung from the harness on the actor's shoulders. The torso section had identical diameters and ball bearing races top and bottom, so the torso could be worn either side up. The actor's shoes were bolted into Robby's feet, so he could pick up Robby's legs for walking. The actor's shoe heels touched the ground through D-shaped cutouts in the Robby feet.

There are louvers in the "hips" section that allow the legs of the suit to move forward and backward. The actor could not sit in the suit legs; for the one sitting scene in the film there is a cardboard leg instead.

robby-cinefantastique-09.jpg

01%20Forbidden%20Planet%20100%204-17-6.jpg

RobbtDrivesSm.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back