Terminator: Genisys

I would have to go back and check all of the sources but I know for example in Star Wars Luke says it on the Falcon when they are approaching the Death Star. Then Han says it again in the trash compactor. It's a great line but it is a bit over used in Star Wars. But I still like it.

I was waiting for dragons to appear when I saw that Daenerys Targaryen is Sarah Connor. Or for her to say, "All men must die."

It does provide some symmetry - Lena Headey went from playing Sarah Connor to Cersei Lannister, so now Emilia Clark is balancing the scales. I'm sure it gave them something to talk about.

All I know is I got a huge craving to put in TSCC in the player tonight.

Don't know if that's a good or bad thing for this Movie!

It looks better than the last two movies. But it still looks like the work of people who don't understand why Cameron's movies worked so well.

Cameron's movies didn't show adult John Connor or the epic future war for very long. Not even after Cameron had the big budget. These things only hold up in brief glimpses.

Of course the audience says they want to see more of those things. They also wanted to see more of Yoda 15 years ago, until they actually got it.

There is no need for the bus to obey the rules of physics in a big dumb summer blockbuster about fighting cyborgs. But aren't we sitting here complaining that the movie is looking too much like a big dumb summer movie? Did Cameron's action sequences look like that?

There is no need for the bus to obey the rules of physics in a big dumb summer blockbuster about fighting cyborgs. But aren't we sitting here complaining that the movie is looking too much like a big dumb summer movie? Did Cameron's action sequences look like that?

The action on T1 & T2 is really quite grounded. They ask you to accept the concept of the time traveling Terminators as the one conceit of the story, but then show how things would play out in our world. The fights and action sequences were intimate and aggressive and far more thrilling for it. T-800s were not graceful; the T-1000 was not showy. I was on the edge of my seat every time one of those terminators came close to their target. Compare the attack in Tech Noir or the T-1000 smashing the windows out of the car or stabbing through the elevator to this stuff. You don't have to flip a bus (honestly, the jumping out of the falling bus is far more offensive) to be effective!

Right? These movies about time-traveling cyborgs are so unrealistic..

It's insipid comments like yours that sometimes makes me want to quit the internet. The movie requires time travel and cyborgs be possible for the movie to even exist, so suspension of disbelief is necessary for those . But when you break basic Newtonian physics with something ridiculous like a bus flipping end over end without something massive being able to flip it, you take anyone with any decent knowledge of how the world actually works out of the movie. At no time have any the of T-800s or similar models have demonstrated such superhuman power. If they ever had that much strength, all they'd have to do is punch a person to liquify them, they'd never need to shoot anyone because the sheer force of their own endo arms would be more than adequate.

At no time have any the of T-800s or similar models have demonstrated such superhuman power.

Have to agree here- I remember a conversation back in high school a friend of mine and I had after watching "The Terminator" when it first came out. Something to the effect of--- Cameron could have had The Terminator pick up a car or a boulder and throw it at (the protagonists) ala The Incredible Hulk... and that would have sucked.

Yes time travel and robots requires a certain level of suspension of disbelief... however when you start to add in impossible superhuman strength it kicks the film out of the science fiction category and throws it into the realm of fantasy. That requires a higher (or at least different) level of suspension of disbelief.

Anyway I'm glad to see that Kyle Reese has been working out and is in tremendous shape... considering that in the future it's the aftermath of a nuclear war and they were eating rats in the first film. ;)

Kevin

I'm so excited I just bought all four flicks on blu-ray...all I'd had was some burned DVD copies, astoundingly. The kids and I are gonna prep for this with a four movie marathon of robot mayhem goodness! :D

I'm so excited I just bought all four flicks on blu-ray...all I'd had was some burned DVD copies, astoundingly. The kids and I are gonna prep for this with a four movie marathon of robot mayhem goodness! :D

Hey, don't forget to add Terminator Salvation: The Machinima Series, which is a prequel to both the game and the film, featuring the voice of Moon Bloodgood. To me, probably the good thing that came out of Terminator Salvation. Definitely worth checking out (be it with the family or not). I know the series is available on DVD (I myself have it). The series was created by the video game makers, the film's production company and people from Machinima.com. The premise of the series involves Blair Williams (Bloodwood's character from the film) being sent off on a mission to track down a "ghost", the source of a signal that interferes with both human and Skynet computer systems alike.

Here's the trailer for everyone. The link above leads to the official Warner Brothers playlist for the series:

For those who are wondering, the song in the trailer (other than the Terminator theme) is called "Break the Silence" by Erik Thunberg & Simon Viklund. The song was available through the forums on the game's official website, but I don't know if its still available or not. But you can find many fan-made music videos using the song on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but what kind of time travel is going on here? There are many shots involving brand new cars, LCD monitors etc, so it appears the latter half of the movie is set in the present day, and not all in 1984, which may be backed up by the older Arnie with white hair.
I know that Arnie overshoots the time travel and basically raises Sarah Connor, and they kill the original Terminator before Kyle's arrival, but how does the present day figure into this? Are they pulling a TSCC on this and somehow then time traveling to now, and continuing the franchise in the present day?

Have to agree here- I remember a conversation back in high school a friend of mine and I had after watching "The Terminator" when it first came out. Something to the effect of--- Cameron could have had The Terminator pick up a car or a boulder and throw it at (the protagonists) ala The Incredible Hulk... and that would have sucked.

Yes time travel and robots requires a certain level of suspension of disbelief... however when you start to add in impossible superhuman strength it kicks the film out of the science fiction category and throws it into the realm of fantasy. That requires a higher (or at least different) level of suspension of disbelief.

Kevin

The list of things that defy "real" physics, science, and engineering in these movies is pretty long. I don't have the time to rip it apart right now, give a day or three.

This is a movie, right?

That's what I'm trying to figure out now.

All movie physics errors are not created equal. There are always errors in these kinds of movies but the trick is choosing them well. The bus-throwing scene seems a couple steps too far for what any of the known Terminator models can do. You can't maintain drama without some consistency in this sort of thing, even in an alien superhero movie.

As for the timeline, I would be surprised if by the end of the movie they didn't have the new Sarah Connor/etc living in the present day. They're time traveling for character drama reasons, not because the filmmakers want to do movies set in 1984. They'll probably whip up an excuse to bring everyone to the present as soon as they don't have any more specific reason to keep them in the past. Just like they did in the TV series.

The Terminator (like The Highlander) told a complete story, there was never a sequel needed, and I don't think it was ever intended or originally envisioned as a "franchise". I enjoy T2 but I never watched it back to back with the original. I just got my 1st copy of The Terminator (skipped VHS and DVD...straight to the Blu-Ray!) When that movie ends, it feels like I have just gotten a whole tale, it doesn't leave me wanting more. That being said the concept of this movie looks ...interesting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back