Terminator: Genisys

A few thoughts here:

1. They are diverting the timeline so early & severely that this will be a total reboot for all intents & purposes.

2. Whatever they do involving T1 may be more about crowd-pleasing and legitimizing this movie, rather than interlacing the plots & preserving stuff from the Cameron movies. They're probably looking for an excuse to give us a little more young-badass-scary-Arnie footage.

3. They're going for the "Arnie is Furlong's new daddy" mojo of T2. What if old-Arnie raised Sarah Connor from childhood? She would turn out like the Summer Glau character from the TV series! ("Brilliant!")

Last edited:
Shocked they let the cat out of the bag so early.
It was done on purpose so as to soften the blow when the trailer the hits. Of course the backlash will still continue then, but many would be familiar with their story approach by then. So the focus and discussion will be on the other aspects of the trailer, rather than being bogged down by this current revelation.

See our 'Terminator Genisys' cover story | Inside Movies | EW.com
Their complete article is up now.

New parts of the article start after Sarah's shooting photo in the above page. I've posted them below.

History has taught us that it can be perilous to mess with Cameron’s original two films. Terminator and T2 combined a story that was equal parts foreboding morality tale and gripping romance with a dynamic heroine who could hold her own with Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley, and special effects that put the term “liquid metal” into our pop vocabulary. Although Jonathan Mostow’s Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) was a commercial hit that satisfied fans and critics thanks mostly to the presence of Schwarzenegger (who earned $30 million for that little gig), the franchise went off the rails with Terminator Salvation (2009). The Governator skipped that installment, and Christian Bale’s viral on-set histrionics wound up eclipsing his onscreen performance as John Connor. The $200 million film grossed only $125 million domestically, aborting all hopes of launching another trilogy.

In 2013 Ellison acquired the rights to Terminator for $15 million after a protracted process begun by his producer sister, Megan (Foxcatcher, Zero Dark Thirty), in 2011. (Their father is Oracle cofounder Larry Ellison.) David then forged ambitious plans for new movies, TV shows, and videogames. The first order of business: Recruit Arnold and his Teutonic monotone to reprise his role. “In our minds there was never a version of this movie that we were making without Arnold Schwarzenegger,” says Ellison. The star himself says he expected the call. “I knew eventually that another Terminator was going to get made,” Schwarzenegger says. “People always have to go through that painful experience of doing a sequel, or something like that, without me.”

Of course, Arnold alone doesn’t guarantee a blockbuster—just ask the folks who made Sabotage or The Last Stand—so director Taylor assembled a cast with enough geek bona fides to appease the Comic-Con crowd. Emilia Clarke, 28, best known as dragon mother Daenerys Targaryen on Thrones, relished the opportunity to imagine her character’s unusual childhood. “Oh, she’s just a normal girl growing up in a world with a Terminator for a dad,” she says with a laugh. “What was her first date like? Did he kill many of the dates she brought home?”

That’s not entirely a joke. At the emotional heart of Genisys is the budding romance between Sarah and Kyle Reese—a union essential to the creation of John Connor. “I had never fallen in love on screen before,” says Courtney, 28, who’s played baddies in Jack Reacher and Divergent. “It was interesting to do that, especially when you’ve got a backdrop of the future and the past and all this other s - - -: endoskeleton, robots.”

The film also adapts to our current cultural anxieties. The threat of nuclear holocaust that freaked out ’80s audiences has been eclipsed by our fear of cyberattack. “Skynet no longer has to break down our front door because we line up in front of Apple stores to invite it in,” Ellison says. “We’re constantly giving away our privacy.”

Naturally, a Terminator movie wouldn’t be a Terminator movie without epic set pieces and cutting-edge technology. Even toward the end of production, the actors—who worked 12-hour days, six days a week, for nearly four months—seemed a bit overwhelmed. “The thing I didn’t know about action movies is that when someone is running on screen, they are really running,” Emilia Clarke says. “No one looks brilliant running on camera. That’s an embarrassing day when you look at yourself and think, ‘Oh, yeah, I look like an idiot. I should fix that.’ ”

Jason Clarke (no relation), 45, admits he was daunted by the need to get the action sequences just right, including one where a vehicle flips off a bridge. “You have to be physically on top of [these stunts],” he says. “If you get it wrong, it’s a two-, three-hour reset. You’re shooting at night. Trying to beat the sun coming up. There are a lot of pressures on these big films. I landed right in the middle of Arnold in one scene, with my boots banging down on the ground. I could have broken the dude.”

Doubtful. Schwarzenegger is unstoppable, and this is no mere cameo but a significant role—this time with a whole new suite of technology on his side. In what could be one of the most impressive technical feats yet, the filmmakers plan to re-create the memorable scene in the original Terminator when the T-800 lands at L.A.’s Griffith Observatory, complete with Schwarzenegger’s 36-year-old face and ripped, naked body. To achieve that, the special-effects team has created a “synthespian,” or synthetic thespian, using a body double plus scans of Schwarzenegger’s face from the first film merged with what his face looks like now. The result: an entirely CG head of the Terminator circa 1984. “It’s the holy grail of visual effects,” Ellison says. “You create a walking, breathing human that doesn’t exist.”

The filmmakers are counting on that technology, and the movie’s villain—a man/machine hybrid they’re keeping under wraps—to be visual game changers. “Part of the challenge is to dazzle people with something they haven’t seen before,” Taylor says. “There are elements in our main villain that are straining the capacities of our brilliant visual-effects people. So that’s a good sign.”

Another may be Schwarzenegger’s unfazed attitude toward it all. It’s the end of the day and he’s back in his makeup chair, relaxing in a tank top and shorts. Two technicians peel that green prosthesis off his face using chemicals that hover in the air. So how does it feel to be playing the Terminator again at 69? “I’m 67,” he says. “But I like that number.”

Neither age nor political office has softened his ribald humor, apparently, or his confidence. “When I look at the history, anytime a movie was well-done, it was huge,” he says. “If a movie is made well, if it’s a great character, if it’s well acted out, then people are going to come and see it. It’s so simple.” So simple! Even a machine could do it.

Guardian_612x381.jpg

Terminator-cast.jpg

Sarah-Connor.jpg

Jason-Clarke.jpg

Behind-The-Scenes.jpg

Last edited:
Sarah-Connor.jpg

She was raised by the deadliest of all killing machines, She is a world class warrior, an excellent sniper...yet, she just accidentally rage-shot some bystander kid.:facepalm

Maybe we can all refrain from panicking just yet. It'd be unusual for a tentpole franchise like this to lay out the key twists of the plot through EW this far in advance. While this may the first Sarah we meet, Clarke will also play other versions of Sarah from other timelines. We know they're recreating scenes from the first and possibly second films - the police chase from the original Terminator had period-accurate cars, so they're not changing the era - and from the EW article we know they're planning to use digital versions of Arnold at different ages. I have a feeling this movie's goal is to play with time travel as a constant device rather than a setup for a one-stop plot as in the other films.

RIght now, the studio is hinting one thing that we will see in the film. They're generating controversy and getting people talking about the film. I just think there's little chance that they're saying "this is what it's about" right now, when the movie lends itself to altering situations and characters so easily. It's truth, but it's not the whole truth for the movie. I hope.

The guy playing Reese looks like Will Ferrell's illiterate younger brother. The armor looks like it's off a straight-to-DVD Starship Troopers sequel. And is that Dr. Who? Oh jeebus. So much fail.

I do wish the future war armor didn't look so obviously custom. That's expensive stuff to make - and machine-made stuff at that. Not the kind of cobbled-together gear the humans fighting Skynet should be limited to.

The hell is that supposed to be?
A Terminator film not allowed to use the T-800(like in Sarah Connor Chronicles)? :facepalm

We know they're recreating scenes from the first and possibly second films - the police chase from the original Terminator had period-accurate cars, so they're not changing the era

They're just changing everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those photos are truly awful. Hopefully that's the visual style of the magazine photographer and not indicative of the film's look...

Alan Taylor directed many episodes of The Sopranos, Mad Men and Game of Thrones. And he directed Thor: The Dark World, which looked pretty damn good too.

So yeah hopefully these photos do not represent the aesthetics of this film.

Thor Dark World looked awesome. I'm really hoping for the best. I love the set up of the old Terminator that's been walking the earth for a while but...

attachment.php

he's doing the Charlie sheen/platoon "DANCE MO-FO!" to an endoskeleton. since WHEN are they able to bring back "laser guns?????" that musta hurt keestering the rifle from district 9. thanks for the jalapeno enima skynet!!! :facepalm

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back