Blade Runner Blaster, Making a Shooter

Thanks for the comments but this could not have been done without Rich Coyle. Being a licensed gun dealer, I acquired the Bulldog and bought some rifled barrel material. The new barrel was machined and fitted. The firing pin was removed temporarily for safety.

Richard did his magic. He hand picked the parts from his latest version of the blaster. His newest Steyr replica was so amazing I went with his version instead of using a real Steyr and I do not regret it. The pics do not show how great it looks.

Rich fitted my Bulldog into his replica, which took alot of work to get it perfect. I asked him to create a blaster as it might look brand new, not beat up and rusty like the real one seen at Worldcon and sold later at auction.

Rich found a source for a new terminal screw (that foward facing screw) so he added a "found" part that was new, the one I sent him was old and worn. IIRC, this blaster utilizes "new, improved" Coyle parts that include the upper, grip frame, amber grips, bolt and bolt handle, and the incredible looking magazine (battery and switch box) with a replica .222 round on top (looks good in and out of the blaster).

Rich had to build this on the premise that it would be shot using live rounds, so it had to be tightly fitted and sturdy. The physics involved in shooting a gun include gas pressure, heat, recoil, and inertia forces but I am confident in Rich's skill so as soon as I can work up some escalating .44 loads I plan to shoot this bad boy.

I am very happy with this. The Bladerunner blaster replicas have been evolving since the early Marco Enterprises version I saw in the 80's. I have several blasters, collected over decades, but this one is my pride and joy. Coyle really came through for me and I am grateful. :D

Some better shots. I will have someone video the gun shooting soon. I've tested it and it works.

Picture of the end cut of the barrel material I used.

BarrelStock2.jpg

Muzzle view.

Muzzle.jpg

Open cylinder.

LeftSideOpen.jpg

Right side.

RightSideClosed.jpg

Holy Crap! This is right up there with real guns I would like to own one day. First on the list of course would be a Mal pistol - closely followed by a S1 BSG clamshell and the Bladerunner blaster. Very well done - looking forward to the video.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

Waiting for some warmer, drier weather to film this blaster shooting. I've shot it and it works, I just need someone able to film me doing it and get it in a format that I can post. It is slow to reload as you have to open the Steyr bolt handle to push the cylinder open while simultaneously operating the cylinder release. Anyway, come spring I'll hopefully have someone take digital film of the gun firing and putting holes in a target.

However, during the fall / winter a very skilled electronics whiz developed some glowing Replicant Ammo for the gun. I was admittedly inspired by the illuminated ammo that came with my Samaritan revolver. Dan Vincent, the engineer, took a standard Charter Arms speedloader and had it 3D printed. He added the rounds and used the hollow area inside the speedloader to contain the circuitry and power supply. AMAZING WORK. The photos do not do it justice. The first photo shows the special ammo loader next to the gun, a .222 ammo magazine, and a standard speedloader.

DSC_0466_zps56f4bad7.jpg

Here is a closeup of the ammo. In subdued lighting , they look incredible!

DSC_0471_zps73394bb1.jpg

On / off switch? You tap one of the brass casings with your finger and it activates the circuitry. Dan is a wizard.

After you have a little practice... I want to see a 25 yd pistol target and see if you could actually hit Zhora without sights. Deckard tagged her what? Three times? I imagine you will find something to align that you can aim enough with.

Hey I love this gun, and being new it was the first thing I searched and I found THIS nice job, I can't even imagine owning this

this is SO cool! I don't even know anything about the Blade Runner blaster, and my mouth is hanging open. nice work!

This gun build is like a wet dream for me...I've wanted to build a working one of these my entire life.

I'm only now building my first prop-version if it from plastic...

One day....

Have you had a chance to take some pics firing?

Amazing job!

Nothing good, just quick photos of smoke coming out of the barrel. I was waiting for Spring (now here) to go to my gun club and get someone to video the gun firing and rounds hitting the target. At close range, it's not too bad even with no sights.

I can't for the life of me figure out where the revolver's hammer is and how that whole area works?

The hammer is bobbed, but still retains enough inertia to fire the gun. The revolver sits under the Steyr receiver and there is room there for the hammer to traverse its normal arc with the bobbed hammer. The hammer is in the original spot on the revolver, you just can't see it under all the other stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

This gun build is like a wet dream for me...I've wanted to build a working one of these my entire life.

I'm only now building my first prop-version if it from plastic...

One day....

I started with a plastic, economy blaster. Over the years I progressed to this point. I have a small collection of blasters I collected over a 15 + year period. I was fortunate enough to meet Richard Coyle when he still worked in California and he is largely responsible for my addiction.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back