Alginate

I usually use alginate when I cast my stuff. I have used it to cast some arcilic items, like an old voldemort wand I made. It's nice because it cures in under a minute, and takes detail pretty nicely too, but I know there is much better stuff out there.

I'm using alginate to make a cast of a hand, it being safe on skin.

I just want to know if I have to use plaster in the mould.

Cheers :)

Do you meant using plaster to reinforce the alginate, or to make the positive cast of the hand? If you're looking for alternatives for positive casting, there are a world of options, depending on what you want to use the casting for.

you dont HAVE to use plaster but its probably the easiest medum, if your planning anything else then there are steps that should be taken,

the most inportatnt this is to keep the alginate surface dry when using a fast cast resin for example.

I've cast clay in alginate, a really hard urethane called 1630, even bondo... the trick then is to keep it as dry as possible, blotting out as much moisture as possible. But beware, some casting resins do not like any moisture.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back