One year later [Hollywood hates children's movies]

jonny5

Sr Member
I've made rants like this before but the search couldn't locate one to which I could append this latest opinion of the day.

I have 8 kids, so I've seen a lot of kids movies. Either for birthday parties, holidays, or just something to do on a summer day.
On Monday April 25th I took the family to see Rio.
Family movie. Currently on top of the Box Office.
Nice movie. Two thumbs up. No breakthrough use of 3D here but a good story. I enjoyed it, and will probably buy the DVD.

So we are settling in to watch RIO with our popcorn and sodas, the theatre darkens, and what do we get? Trailers loaded with bathroom humor. Seriously, not ONE trailer shown before the film did NOT include some sort of fart joke!

We chose not to see the Easter themed 'HOP' because the trailer features gross out jokes about jellybeans being rabbit poop, and mind you, I really like Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) and Kaley Couco (Big Bang Theory). I fear this movie will do for jellybeans what Jaws did for beaches.

This sort of thing has been a turn off for me since the talking pig movie BABE (1995) in it's trailer quoting the only rude thing the cute little pig says in the whole movie "Get outta here ya butt heads" which is said to some sheep, after advice from a mean old sheepdog, but the trailer did not show that he was immediately rebuked for the rude behavior, and contritely appologised.

This is an amazing thing to me that children's movies (and RIO seems to be the sole exception here) cannot be marketed without some sort of purille bathroom humor.

Easily 10% of the trailer for CARS 2 is a drawn out scene about Mater having trouble using the overly fancy japanese electronic toilet. Now I am aware that there were adult diaper sponsor references in the 1st movie. I just don't recall them being pointed out in the trailer.

The trailer for Hoodwinked 2 has a gas mask scene in an elevator where two characters think they are smelling farts before passing out from green knockout gas. Then we see the Granny character do the matrix-like acrobatic routine through the laser security beams. Can we be allowed for just one second think hey this old bird is really awesome? Nope its gotta end with her farting. Incidentally this is a direct rip off of a scene featuring Ali Larter in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

The least offensive was Kung Fu Panda 2 which has an audible 'stomach growl' which KFP blames on his fist 'hungering for justice'.

Now I ask you between the 'Easter bunny poop movie', or one about a little lost birdie... which is at the top of the box office at the end of Easter weekend, and which has a huge pile of unsold deeply discounted merchandise covering several tables at the front of my local Walmart?

True in 4 weeks HOP has earned 3 times what it cost to make, while after 2 weeks RIO is still $10M short of its ROI, but RIO is also only $20M behind HOP in total Box Office.

Why can't Hollywoood make more children's movies like RIO? Yea Fox! These are also the poeple responsible for the Ice Age films.

Last edited:
Re: Hollywood hates children's movies

God how I wish there was a giant like button for this thread, I could'nt agree with you more.

I agree but it's what sells, just look at the cartoons on tv. parents don't care anymore as long as the kids leave them alone and are babysat by the tv. Now i don't made toilet humor sometimes, especially in movies like Scary movie and such but every comedy out there has it and it's far worse than just a fart joke. It's a cultural thing. Physical comedy and such that we grew up on is dead, now it's just raunchy humor.
Actually I wouldn't even say they hate family movies, it's more like they hate family values.

I don't recall any fart jokes or toilet humor in UP... though I might have just forgotten.

Honestly, I'm right there with you ... and it's not just kids movies, either! That's a big part of the reason I don't even bother with 98% of comedies that come out these days. Hollywood seems to think that disgusting/stupid=funny which is NOT what interests me in the least.

I like the Abrams/zucker movies like Superhero movie and such as the jokes are a mix of slightly raunchy with physical comedy. To be honest i'd rather buy old episodes of the Carol Burnett or Dean Martin show. They were naughty for the time but at least they knew limits. I only watch comedies by certain directors since you pretty much know what to expect.

My daughter watches movies at home but I only take her to stuff like the Disney/Pixar films. I don't recall anything offensive in the Cars 2 trailer... although it did look surprisingly bad to me for being a Pixar film. Hope that won't be the case but I really liked the first Cars but now they're doing this whole spy thing that I don't get.

The Ice Age films had some stuff I didn't like so I just haven't bought them for the kids to watch.

I always wondered why my folks would watch movies first when they rented them when i was little. I remember the big deal about Spike saying "oh ****" in Transformers the movie back in 1986 so they could get a PG rating since it was aimed at an older audience. Anymore you have to show your kids movies you and your parents liked to know they're safe.

I couldn't get past you having 8 children! :eek

I think it's not just kids' movies, but the general state of comedy in film today.

You've basically got two or three options:

1. The last vestiges of the "gross out" comedy in the form of all the "Scary movie" or "Meet the Spartans" type stuff.

2. The worst of SNL/Stoner films. I lump into this the Will Ferrel vehicles which are basically people talking about the broad joke they just made. Example: I watched The Other Guys last night. It includes a bit where their captain (played by Michael Keaton sans curly mullet) keeps giving them pep talks or yelling at them and wrapping everything up with a line from a TLC song. Like, "You guys better shape up, alright?! I don't want no scrubs!!" Rather than just cut to reaction shots from the two main guys, they say "Did you just quote TLC?" The captain acts befuddled "What are you talking about? I don't even know what you're talking about." This SPECIFIC joke happens multiple times, and each time they call him on it, and each time he responds the same way. I call this the "Worst of SNL" because it drags jokes out WAY longer than need to be, and to me seems to be more the result of very loose scripting and improvisational style humor. That can work sometimes, but a lot of times it doesn't.

3. The Seth Rogen style humor, which is even MORE stonerific, and even MORE about two guys just babbling on incessantly to each other.

None of this stuff is particularly funny to me, which is why I simply skip comedies anymore. But I think they're also directed at a different audience from me. These comedies are films which are designed to be seen in groups, and repeatedly quoted and referenced later. I'd even bet that most people find the actual social interaction of quoting/referencing the film to friends to be more enjoyable than the experience of WATCHING the thing in the first place. That wasn't always the case, though.

Basically, I chalk this up to Hollywood's current death-spiral as it appeals to an ever lowering common denominator as fewer and fewer people go to the theaters.

Basically, I chalk this up to Hollywood's current death-spiral as it appeals to an ever lowering common denominator as fewer and fewer people go to the theaters.

Bingo.

The lowest common denominators are making movies for their fellow lowest common denominators. If you have to rely on fart jokes, then maybe comedy isn't your thing.

The industry has a few exceptions, but all in all, it's a cesspool and aside from Pixar and Spielberg, I don't give it any of my time of money.

I think that was the only "bathroom humor" that Hop had was the jellybeans...and that was only shown twice.

o/t but i think people don't go to the theater so much because there are so many movies out, and it's flooding the market. I can't keep up with everything, so i'll just watch it at home on my time. Why should i go out to see the next new one that jstu came out, when theres 3 out from last season on dvd that I can watch at home.

put out less crap and limit yourself and we'll come out more.

Or some of you could just be movie snobs.

The only reason you percieve these things is because there is an internet to discuss it all.

That didn't used to be true.

And since " They watch what they are given. We're pretty simple creatures. Easily herded."

Well the nose ring gets pulled by the internet way more effectively.

It's a change in perception by the viewer. Hollywood has always made at least 50% crap.

The trailer for Rio showed him talking about peeing in the bird bath. Falls in with all the others.

Fart jokes and children! I have never heard of such a combination - I am outraged:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry
My advice as always is to support things with your wallet, that is the only way to show what you value, well that and to point out the never ending need to remind the movie folks here to...
YouTube - Lighten Up Francis

Yeah. I'm am a movie snob.

I may not be rich...but I try to enjoy the finer things in life...including movies.

I agree that Hollywood has always produced their fair share of crap...but the difference was they weren't trying too but thanks to idiots like Johnny Knoxville..they try harder now.

Last edited:

I think you're making way to big a deal out of stupid fart jokes in kids movies. This is what most kids find funny, so of course they'll put them in there.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back