Deadpool costume.

Re: Mask Sewing pattern ?

you could buy a ski mask and separate it on the seam and use that for a pattern

Thing is, I'm planning on making it from leather, and I already ordered the materials....

I meant just use the panel as a pattern to cut the actual material you were using.

I would look at the spider-man costumes on here. It seems like that's going to be your best bet on finding a decent pattern.

Hrrm... I'll try that.

And regarding the ski mask thing, most of them are sewn in a way that you just cut out 2 identical head pieces and sew them together in the middle... which looks a bit stupid.

May I suggest you get some cheap vinyl to do test patterns and runs with? It's going to be trial and error...

You might want to start with a pattern like the ones found in the link bellow, some of them likely not safe for work!

Let me google that for you

Assemble said mask, now you have a form fitting 'head and face' mask, put the mask on a head form or wig form, foam ones can be had dirt cheap at a beauty supply store... Once mounted on the head form, take a marker and trace out your new 'preferred' stitch lines... Remove from form, cut along you new stitch lines trace the new pieces onto some more scarp material while adding about 3/8" for a new seam to be sewn... Sew it up and test fit, and tweak as needed... And once you get a good pattern made move onto the leather...

And remember you can steam/soak leather in hot water and get it to form better... I doubt you will find a patter that will be perfect from the get go, it's going to take some tweaking, especially if you wan it to fit you head correctly...

I actually want it to be a bit loose. and thanks for the tip about steaming it.

(although bondage hoods are a bit...creepy.)

leather? really? whatever floats your boat I guess... just leave yourself some way to breathe.

Personally I used corduroy (sp?) to get a textured look to my costume and it too doesn't stretch. so what I did was wrap my head in saran wrap and layer ducktape over the top to create a replica of my head. (do get help with this and do leave air holes - don't want you dying) I split it up the back and straight down the center to create the 2 pieces and then I made smaller cuts to make it lay flat as a pattern. (mine is 3 pieces, left, right, and an X shaped center) This pic is my second try with updated eyes and cleaning up some of the lines and symetry. Note that I'm smiling in this pic and its quite obvious due to how closely it fits.

17141615835295901971294.jpg

I got the shipment today. a bit bigger than I expected (the entire roll is slightly shorter than me).
I should mention that it is most definitely a form of synthetic leather, I tested it's... breathability just now, exhaling is a bit hard (and warms it up quite a bit) but inhaling goes smoothly.

Thanks for your advice (I'll try it out on some other miscellaneous fabric).
I like the 3 piece Idea. and your smile does look very nice on the picture, (also, I want mine going down my neck, would this in any way interfere with your method ?) also could you please post some pics of the duct-tapy bits you cut out, just so I can have a better idea of how to do mine? (speaking of which, deadpool would be proud of you using duct tape to replicate his mask)

lol that he would. I will try and find the originals so I can take a pic of them, I may have only kept my wax paper copy though. There shouldn't be any problem with a longer neck on the pattern as long as you use a long enough zipper in the back. I don't like things tight around my neck (phobia of suffocating) so I made the black band loose and part of my outfit instead of the mask. It comes up high enough that you never see the bottom edge of my mask, plus it helps with range of movement.

I see. I always thought of the band as more of a metallic/plastic binding tool....hrrm....

here's the leather itself btw

pic0174r.jpg

pic0175.jpg

20110512155652461.jpg

20110512155912435.jpg

so turns out I altered my cuts for a different mask so the X shape isn't on the duct tape version anymore, but I also included a pic of my deadpool pattern. These also don't account for the point on the back of the hood, I freestyled that. Hope it helps!

The first step is complete.

pic0177y.jpg

pic0189j.jpg

pic0190.jpg

pic0195i.jpg

:D

I had my helper layer a thinner tape on first. I ran out of duct tape soon though, so we used some other stuff to finish the job. it seems to be solid enough so far.

That was a fun process... not sure I want to do it again anytime soon tough...

Last edited:
Re: Deadpool Mask Progress.UPDATE: Now Leather, needs holes.

I started by cutting the patterns out.

pic0207z.jpg

pic0209p.jpg

pic0210p.jpg

pic0212c.jpg

Then a bit of self-sewing

pic0213x.jpg

And all of it together.

pic0216u.jpg

pic0219g.jpg

It should look a bit better when I add the zipper in the back and it gets tighter around my head.

If you stitch the hem down, it should take the "puffyness" out of the seams.
Pic for clarity:
sewing-leather.jpg

try to find thread that matches the leather, so it doesn't take away from the look of it.

Thanks for the tip, man.

Sorry for no updates yet. been busy with life. But I have the cutouts of the black area around the eyes, and a zipper is ready to be added.

pic0232p.jpg

Current level.. will expand with more photos soon enough.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back