The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

RPF members and visitors to this thread. Give me some feedback on my posting patterns,

Would you rather I post pictures IN the thread, or just post a link to the projects FB page when I add them there. I can do either, or both. Let me know what makes for the best viewing experience for you.

Speaking of which, much progress has been made on the side mechs. It's exhausting work (no put intended) and I can already feel it wearing me down. I'm probably going to switch gears shortly and film a tutorial on how to make a jacketed mold for one of the finished pieces.

Can you demonstrate how the shifters will work? I think reupholstering the seats in leather will be beautiful. Nothing is sacred. Of course the number 2 car didn't have the upholstered seats, but it wasn't intended for work with Keats.

I'd love to see how you tackle making those side mechanics look realistic paint-wise, whether you'll add the plate on the middle.

I really hope you do a pearl paint job like the original 1989 Batmobile. It doesn't quite look right in all black, unless it's Returns.

Can you demonstrate how the shifters will work? I think reupholstering the seats in leather will be beautiful.

I have not yet put any thought into how the shifter will work. But I will for sure post about it when I get there.

I am currently leaning toward leaving the seats as they are. The seats in the hero car are not leather, but pleather. So if I was go to screen accurate, it would be a step down in quality. I guess it's just one of those questions of balance, and right now the scales are tipping towards leaving them as they are. it's also one less thing to worry about, which is always a good idea in a project of this size.

I have not yet put any thought into how the shifter will work. But I will for sure post about it when I get there.

I am currently leaning toward leaving the seats as they are. The seats in the hero car are not leather, but pleather. So if I was go to screen accurate, it would be a step down in quality. I guess it's just one of those questions of balance, and right now the scales are tipping towards leaving them as they are. it's also one less thing to worry about, which is always a good idea in a project of this size.

The paint though, man, the paint. I hope you're the first one to get it right. (I'm sure you are inclined towards accuracy).

She just needs a little colour to her, semi gloss black with pearl metallics. You'll see it through your research photos, and even under the hood of the car. Hell, the guys on set even added vaseline to the thing to appease Tim Burton.

She just needs a little colour to her, semi gloss black with pearl metallics. You'll see it through your research photos, and even under the hood of the car. Hell, the guys on set even added vaseline to the thing to appease Tim Burton.

i was on set during the filming of Batman Returns and got to examine the hero car and the cocoon shell up close and in person. Prior to the OnStar repaint. I knew since pre production of the first movie that there were greens and purple in the paint, but it wasnt until I saw it in person that I understood how they did it. Frankly, it looks really lame. While it may add something subtle on the screen, it looks ridiculous to the naked eye. I have no intention of reproducing it, as it looks like a painting error.

i was on set during the filming of Batman Returns and got to examine the hero car and the cocoon shell up close and in person. Prior to the OnStar repaint. I knew since pre production of the first movie that there were greens and purple in the paint, but it wasnt until I saw it in person that I understood how they did it. Frankly, it looks really lame. While it may add something subtle on the screen, it looks ridiculous to the naked eye. I have no intention of reproducing it, as it looks like a painting error.

Im all for screen correct. Like the Aliens pulse rifles were painted brown bess (tan) but looked OD Green on screen. Whatever looks correct in person is good.....our eyes dont have a $10k filter from Panavision. Besides, its your build...I think you can tackle it.

Yeah, being rude to me wont finish your batmobile any sooner either.

I have a few real world guages and parts I would have been more than happy to give you the details on but I am apparently a troll?

That is a rather rude thing to say. I don't appreciate the disrespect, Matt.

Spencer

Last edited:
Im all for screen correct. Like the Aliens pulse rifles were painted brown bess (tan) but looked OD Green on screen. Whatever looks correct in person is good.....our eyes dont have a $10k filter from Panavision. Besides, its your build...I think you can tackle it.

I agree, a project should make the builder happy not everyone else.

I'd love to know exactly what they did. The only sources I have found just say "they used flip-flop paint" or things to that effect.

You say it was lame . . can you elaborate? Was the finish too colorful & too far away from looking black, or something?

Just my two cents, but It does seem a little boring to make these cars totally black. I'm not sure exactly what I would do differently, but I would be experimenting to try to come up with some kind of "spin" on it that I liked.

Granted, anything along these lines that shows up on film would probably look overdone in person.

Definitelt not flip flop paint. Did that exist in 1990?

there were two colors. Metallic purple and metallic green. It looked like it came out of rattle cans. The best way i can describe it is this: for any deep line or seam on the car, the line was followed with a rattle can. Like a three inch wide stripe with feathered edges. It was more pronounced on the coocoon. But it made the batmobile look like a clown car. It looks great on film, in the dark, under lighting. On that we all agree. To the naked eye it looks like someone made a mistake when they were painting it.

If you guys want to do that on your batmobile builds, I am more than happy to provide what insight I have and I will support your decision to do your build your way without question.

I remember seeing one of the cars on tour after the film came out, and it was black, but when the light hit it, it had a iridescent purple hue to it.
I really liked it, but did not remember seeing this color on film. So, I was surprised to see it as a purple/black...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back