The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Hey Matt!

Just a quick (and perhaps dumb) question for you about the order of things. Is it normal to put on the body/shell of a vehicle first and then do the interior work? I watched the video but since I'm at work, couldn't use the sound so I wasn't sure if you talked about that or not.

:thumbsup

My first thought is that there's no "normal" way to build this beast. Everyone does it differently, so it would be hard to say what the norm is.

that said, yes, the shell is currently not mounted, but is instead just "sitting" on top of the frame. As with many other builds, I imagine the shell will be removed and put back on dozens of times during the build, as is necessary for whatever step I'm working on at the time.

Today I'm doing another deep clean of the garage. I'm pretty much booked solid until the 10th of next month with a feature film I'm building some things for, and a convention. If my delivery dates for the car slip, I'm ok with that as the reason will be noble and just :D

My first thought is that there's no "normal" way to build this beast. Everyone does it differently, so it would be hard to say what the norm is.

that said, yes, the shell is currently not mounted, but is instead just "sitting" on top of the frame. As with many other builds, I imagine the shell will be removed and put back on dozens of times during the build, as is necessary for whatever step I'm working on at the time.

Today I'm doing another deep clean of the garage. I'm pretty much booked solid until the 10th of next month with a feature film I'm building some things for, and a convention. If my delivery dates for the car slip, I'm ok with that as the reason will be noble and just :D

Thanks for the reply Matt! Hope things keep going well for you on the Mattmobile as well as your other projects!

I can verify this a body will be taken off a frame at least a dozen if not far more, and re mounted during a complete "frame off" restoration of a muscle/classic car if done correctly. This is done to check how well something from a suspension piece to a motor to exhaust will fit on the car with the particular piece only being held to the frame.

I can only assume it will be the same building his "Matt Mobile" since it is after all a car!

Just got in some metal grills, which I will post pics of shortly.

Also did a couple more video interviews, which hopefully will hit the web soon. I will of course post links when they do.

The great news is that the big movie projects I was working on are now behind me, so perhaps I'll be able to refocus my attention on the car :D

Ok, time for some pics! Got some vents, and did some body work today.

vents.jpg

step.jpg

There's a few more pics and some more details on my blog. Please check it out and let me know what you think:
The Project Workbench: MattMobile Vents and Body Work

It's so much damn fun to see this coming together so professionally - and by a first-time hobbyist! Way to do it right, Matt. Thanks so much for sharing the build with us. Great to see progress happening again!!!

Thanks guys! Glad to keep things moving. I'm probably most excited about the interviews I've done recently.I'm really looking forward to see how they turn out, and if they treated me nicely in the editing bay :D

Deadlines have been completely forgotten. :lol

What I forgot to account for is that other stuff might come along that would take me away from the build. But I guess from all the other builds Iv'e watched over the years, this is completely typical.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back