Jason Lives Styrofoam Tombstone

sirbrad

Sr Member
I always wanted to make one of these, and after seeing some tips in a book about how to make styrofoam tombstones I got the idea to try and make the Jason Lives one. I bought some 4x8 insulation foam and cut it to size, and I bought all kinds of materials, paints, sealers, pvc pipe, wood burning tool, etc so that I could get it as detailed as possible. This is my first one and I was just going to use it as a test, and thought maybe it would get ruined practicing, but so far it is turning out great. I practiced some of the techniques on another piece of styrofoam first as well. The only I hate is that it is REALLY messy and sticks to everything, especially your hands and clothes. I just added the first basecoat to the back and sides. It is about 24x20x4. The movie one is a little thicker yet but I wanted to see how this one turned out before going too thick, and this is thick enough. I also added two pvc pipes in the bottom so that you could insert some wooden dowels or steel rods into the ground to hold up against the wind. Will post more pics when it is complete.

It was really hard using a woodburner for the fine borders around the name, as if you hold it even for a second too long it will burn a huge hole, and you have to insert it just the right amount, and move it just the right speed too or it will burn too big or does not burn deep enough. Very tricky and nerve-wracking and I am glad I did not mess it up. I tried it once on another piece of foam. Knives work well but are very messy. I still used one for the bulk of it. I burn outside as the fumes are very bad.

Another basecoat, next up stone texture paint and more detailing and weathering. Will take outdoor pics when it is complete. This would look great in front of my life-sized Jason Lives. :)

Last edited:
Just finished the stone coat paint all around and will be getting it ready for the fine details and weathering. I love it as it is but I want to make it as accurate as possible. Some people outside thought it was a real stone. :) It looks very real, and I used the wood burning tool to make the sides looked carved out instead of just flat. Here are some update pics. Paint is still wet here some.

Finally got it about complete, looks real in the yard! I added the moss in the crack and it is wet looking, and added the moss staining running down to the bottom. In the movie it looks like just a piece is hanging on it but I decided to make it a crack with moss instead to make things easier. Was a tough project but the end results were well worth it!

Last edited:
Impressive. The paintjob is very nice...

Only the grass is a little bit too green, and coloured with flowers. Looks like happy bunnies are hopping over the grass next to the grave... :lol more mud, dirty earth and photos from a cloudy day. :)

Anyway, the tombstone is great... :thumbsup

Nest project is a cemetery with all horror ikons? :love

Thanks guys! Yeah my front yard will have to do for now, and it looked perfect with the bare spots on the ground. I actually made this as a prototype with the intent on selling it, but it turned out so good that I decided I might keep it not sure. I am not sure when I will ever get to do another one as I am swamped with work, and this one took like 4 weeks off an on. The labor was intense and very messy, so I would have to get a decent amount to consider selling it. I had some decent offers so far, and the cost of materials alone was one hundred dollars. I know I could make up the cost if I did more but they are very time consuming.

So as of now this will be the only one and I may list it on eBay not sure yet as I love how it came out. I did not expect it to look that good the first time. But it would have to be well worth my while to sell this labor of love. :) But if I have time I might try and do another one in the next few months if I don't sell this one. I would love to have my own to display in with my personal life-sized Jason Lives. The lighting was perfect, cloudy towards night. I also would like to get some shots at night next to a lantern. :)

Few more, wind was blowing pretty good so the middle one blurred a little. Still stayed standing though even with just the PVC pipes in it and not attatched to any ground anchors yet.

Last edited:
That's some beautiful weathering buddy. Just becareful with it being outside and all. I can just picture some kid coming up to it thinking it's real stone, try to sit on it to tie his shoes and bam there it went :lol

Regardless awesome job. The detail is what really sells it.:thumbsup

Thanks guys, yeah I would never leave it outside. Will most likely sell this since I got a lot of interest, I guess I will have to make more later. :) Yeah I busred my butt trying to get every little detail down, I am very meticulous when it comes to that stuff.

Thanks guys, yeah I would never leave it outside. Will most likely sell this since I got a lot of interest, I guess I will have to make more later. :) Yeah I busred my butt trying to get every little detail down, I am very meticulous when it comes to that stuff.

If only there was someway to mold stryofoam, you could make more! ;)

Yeah I thought about that, is it possible? I would like to at least maybe trace a template kinda like you do with a real stone called stone rubbing or something like that. But this migh tbe too fragile for that and make indents. So if I have to do it from scratch I do I guess. I would make a clay one but that would be really heavy and expensive lol.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back