I Love The Last Crusade...but

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
there is something missing regarding the plot in the beginning in regards to the disappearance of Henry and Indy not knowing.

I got the idea that he and his father weren't that close, but how could Indy or Marcus not know Henry was off in Europe looking for the grail? Wouldn't that be news to Indy since it was his Dad's obsession. Was the quest secret?

Evidently they live close to each other, so was it simply poor writing?

No, they hadn't spoken in decades. He and Marcus were old friends, but weren't in constant contact or anything.

I'd imagine Sr. had made many trips researching one clue or another. Could be that he expected this one to be as routine as the others.

He was probably always off on some Grail-related quest or another. Indy didn't seem at all surprised when he found out. It was his father's disappearance that surprised him, not his Grail-hunting.

Just out of morbid curiousity, am I the only one that sees The Last Crusade as being a little TOO similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark? Am I crazy? Wait... don't answer that last question :lol

i just watched it again last night on USA, i was under the assumption that they hadnt spoken in years because his dad was obsessed with the grail.

It's easy to forget how different the times were, where communication is involved. I imagine it would be common for even those closest to a world traveler like Henry, Sr. would go very long periods without hearing from him.

The missing Dad quirks I can live with. Having a wingless plane pass you in a tunnel.. OH COME ON!

(I keed, I keed, I love the whole fantastic-silly-wonderment of Indy films.)

i just watched it again last night on USA, i was under the assumption that they hadnt spoken in years because his dad was obsessed with the grail.

The scene of Henry's ransacked house throws me off. It seems there is a scene missing connecting the plot at this point. Indy acts like he visits his father regularly.

The missing Dad quirks I can live with. Having a wingless plane pass you in a tunnel.. OH COME ON!

(I keed, I keed, I love the whole fantastic-silly-wonderment of Indy films.)

Hey that was funny, just from the look on the pilot's face!

I really liked this movie. I love hearing all the stories about the grail and whether it's real or not.

I've always thought that Indy was getting stabbed when he was trying to save this dad from the tank treads, and Nazi was behind him... it sure looks like a stabbing motion vs punching motion. But it's never brought up again...

Yes & no.

The major 'falling out' point came after the death of Indy's mother.

In a part of TLC, Indy expresses the main cause for this as his resentment for Jones Sr.'s 'not being there for him', besides throughout his youth, even when his mother was alive/sick then died.

Mixture of both - obsession, with the final straw being after the mother's death.

.... IIRC :)

Watch the Young Indy series and read the grail diary that came with the Last Crusade PC game and you'll know the whole story in detail.

Saw this when it came out, when I was 8. The scene at the end where the guy grows old after drinking from the wrong grail gave me nightmares for weeks.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back